The funny side of dementia

HelenInBC

Mar 23, 2013
Turning off the light

I love this thread. I often visit the forum just to see what folks have added to it.
Here's one from yesterday:

My daughter (who lives with my mom to care for her) called to tell me this one. My mom has an ongoing obsession with conserving power. She gets really annoyed if a light is on somewhere and she doesn't think it should be. My daughter had just finished helping mom shower and wash her hair in the afternoon. Mom walked into the lounge and my daughter was asking her what she wanted to do now. Mom says "oh, just a minute. Let me just turn off that light"

She picks up the TV remote control and points it towards the sun which is streaming in the window. She keeps pressing the power button, and looking annoyed when the "light" won't go out. Daughter walks over to the window blinds and adjusts them to block the sun. Mom looks at the remote, realizing what she was doing and says "well, I'm such a bonehead!"

:)

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
She picks up the TV remote control and points it towards the sun which is streaming in the window. She keeps pressing the power button, and looking annoyed when the "light" won't go out. Daughter walks over to the window blinds and adjusts them to block the sun. Mom looks at the remote, realizing what she was doing and says "well, I'm such a bonehead!"

:)

This made me :) how sweet, there are such things as solar rechargeable items so she must've thought the technology has advanced a bit more;):D:)

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Oldest daughter was chatting to Nana about her moving to Manchester to study for her teacher training.

Joking, she suggested that Nan could move with her, and they could hit the shops and the nightclubs - 'It will be like 'Sex in the City', Nan' she said.

Mils eyes lit up.

'Sex in the City? Oh - yes Pleases - I could do with some of that' :eek:

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Oldest daughter was chatting to Nana about her moving to Manchester to study for her teacher training.

Joking, she suggested that Nan could move with her, and they could hit the shops and the nightclubs - 'It will be like 'Sex in the City', Nan' she said.

Mils eyes lit up.

'Sex in the City? Oh - yes Pleases - I could do with some of that' :eek:

:D

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
hello
My wife had Alzheimer's and she died about 4 months after our diamond wedding anniversary
although she was ill she thought this card very ,very funny

Attachments

• IMG_NEW.jpg
    IMG_NEW.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 597

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
I was filling in a form to claim reduction of council tax due to m wife suffering with Alzheimer's
At the end of the form the bureaucrats asked

Sexuality
Are you
Heterosexual
Gay
Lesbian
Bisexual
Transsexual
I laughed at the irrelevance of this question , and my wife asked what I was laughing for

After I told her, I could see the puzzled frown on her face and she was chewing her bottom lip in concentration
Eventually she smiled and said

I don't know I haven't made my mind up yet (and she was 81)

skinnydaisy

Jul 30, 2014
pembrokeshire
left Mum about 4 today and said Id be back at 5.30 with fish and chips. Lovely she said I cant wait. Got back there at 5.30 sharp after the 12 mile round trip as she frets over the time, dished up her fish and chips and put it in front of her. She looked at me with the strangest look and said 'your a funny nurse giving me fish and chips for breakfast, whatever next !' Then she refused to eat them and told me to help her get washed or she'd be late for work. She's 84. Anyway it makes a change from the Frenchman who sings ooh la la at all hours. So good to read all these posts and Ive been crying with laughter and that is a GOOD thing.

Thanks everyone x

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Love this thread. My OH (early onset dementia) gets muddled over shopping. I asked him to buy six eggs and he bought six boxes eggs! The neighbours were pleased with their eggs bonanza.

Now, no matter what he sets out to buy (lettuce, garlic, milk) he comes back with poppadums. This is not something he has ever bought before but insisted we have them for tea. I cooked them and he didn't like them. He has just gone out to the shop. What will he come back with now?

My mum always used to buy sausages. I could never understand why because she never really liked them and never ate them!

oldbones

Oct 19, 2013
Dementia can indeed be funny

Dementia sucks, it really does, but sometimes it's better to laugh than cry!

There are so many hilarious things that my dad has said and done, and I just wish that I'd written them all down! Dad loves playing chess (against himself) and the other day when he opened the oven to take out his roasting cashew nuts and found a white pawn turned black. Yes - he roasted his pawn! ...and then painted it white again.

Due to dads Parkinson's disease, he had a chair which he can remotely control, so with a press of a button he can move all the way up to standing or all the way down to lying. He often leans on the remote and the chair moves, but he doesn't realise it is. The other day we were listening to music and 'you raise me up' by west life came on. You've probably guessed it - yes, he lent on the remote and as the lyrics 'you raise me uuuuuup' were sung, his chair magically starting raising. Hilarious.

He also went to morrisons the other day and came back with 19 deserts. 19!!!! Oh dad.

My husband got up in the middle of the night and went in to the kitchen. He had been there a little while, so thought I had better go check up on him. He was sitting there eating a huge slice of cake. What are you doing I asked. His response was. "I was so hot I had to come and eat this cake to help" Now every time I feel the heat I think of this and I am afraid I do have to have a smile

sajimjo

Jun 18, 2013
Staffordshire
This is a brilliant thread. I've only just found it but I think I will reread it when I need cheering up.

I have one experience to share. My partner, not too advanced yet, has put what he thought was moisturiser on his face, it was toothpaste which made him look ghostly, and what is more it was striped toothpaste!!!!!!!!! you'd think he would have realised, but he has done it several times!

Keep them coming folks.

Sarah