Support on the move: Talking Point launches new mobile app

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
I’m thrilled to say we are launching a free mobile app for Talking Point today, which will make it easier and quicker to use the forum on the move. (Some of our eagle-eyed members came across the app just ahead of today’s official launch, and I was very happy to see that early feedback has been positive :)).

Talking Point offers a lifeline to people who might not be able to access other Alzheimer’s Society services. Over a fifth of our users visit Talking Point from their mobile and tablet devices, and our new app means it's now even easier to get support and information about dementia – wherever you are.

The Talking Point app is now available on the two most popular mobile operating systems in the UK: iOS and Android.

How do I download and use the app?

If you are an Apple user (iphone or ipad): the iOS app is available at the iTunes App Store here.

If you are an Android user, the Android app is available at the Google Play Store here.

If you are already a member of Talking Point, you can download the app and just log straight in with your usual membership details.

If you're new to Talking Point, you can create your account when you set the app up. Your app details will let you login to the website too.

Any questions?

If you have any questions about the app, please post them below or email talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk. A member of the TP team will come back to you as soon as possible. :)

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
That sounds really good. Sorry that I almost spoilt you launch party :D :D

One question
As some of us have been having other apps "advertising" at the top of the screen, do you know if we still will? Or was it just a setup glitch?

I ask because I feel this site is as safe as it can be, But. If advertisers are able to "pop up an app" when I come onto TP, it would concern me that the site was not as safe as I felt it was.

Well done all you techies who are working at finding ways to get Alzheimer's Society TP to those who need it - carers and people with dementia/Alzheimer's.

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Hi 2jays

You haven't spoiled anything. :)

The 'ad', or prompt to download the app, that you will have seen at the top of your mobile/tablet screen over recent days was for our new app, so please don't worry.

The only thing I was concerned about was that, before we had set it up fully, people could have been prompted to pay for the app (as I think a couple of users were). The Talking Point app is completely free to download.

I hope that helps but please ask if you've any more questions. :)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I really like it. I think it's easy to use and quick. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

Chrismitch

Jun 23, 2011
I thought I was tech savvy - I was obviously wrong!

The app I great. I downloaded it and read and read and read! Very helpful as usual. But I haven't managed to reply to a thread or post a new one. Help!

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
All working fine apart from when trying to download pics from my photo stream it says

System Message
this is not a valid image file,

can anyone help please

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
The app I great. I downloaded it and read and read and read! Very helpful as usual. But I haven't managed to reply to a thread or post a new one. Help!
Are you using an iPad? If so I can try and show some screen shots of what you should be clicking on.
All working fine apart from when trying to download pics from my photo stream it says

System Message
this is not a valid image file,

can anyone help please

Again Jeany, are you using an iPad?

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Are you using an iPad? If so I can try and show some screen shots of what you should be clicking on.

Again Jeany, are you using an iPad?

No sorry i'm using a iphone will it be the same

im clicking on reply to topic

then the little.photo of the man which with a correction from Sue :) and on putting my glasses on i realise is the sun and mountains

then photo stream

then the photo i want on ,

then upload

then best766x1024

then it says uploading image

then system message this is not a valid image file

Last edited:

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I don't have an iPhone, just an iPad, but I would have thought they should be the same/similar.

ImageUploadedByTalking Point1370191025.507127.jpg

Does it look like this when you're replying to a thread, and are you clicking on the second icon?

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point mobile app

Edited to add: oops ignore last 2 images :eek:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTalking Point1370190876.297622.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTalking Point1370190876.297622.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 495
  • ImageUploadedByTalking Point1370190926.365665.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTalking Point1370190926.365665.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Thank you it looks the same, did you see the edit on my last post, yes im clicking on second icon

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Seen your edit now, but I don't see a picture of a little man! I see what I assume is supposed to be a landscape (mountains and a sun?)

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point mobile app