Suddenly stopped walking

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Bed is ordered and will be delivered next Wednesday PM, so just a desk to empty and move before then. Ordered some storage boxes from poundland as none of the supermarkets were helpful with boxes and have tested a Motorola baby monitor which works fine between the two floors and doesnt seem to effect my broadband.

Dads friend is going to help me move the desk hopefully or knows someone who can and have ordered a mattress protector just in case. So just waiting for deliveries possibly early next week.

Social worker called today and is going to arrange two visits a day to help mum get dressed and washed and ready for bed so we will see how that works out.

Had a visit with the Occupational Therapist and she agrees with the plans and is going to get some equipment to make life easier for mum in the downstairs toilet. Essentially mum is to live downstairs and not venture upstairs, so we will see how it goes.

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Spoke to mum tonight at the hospital she seems quite bright and wants to come home, sitting at nurses station, told her its quiet without her and dog keeps looking for her, she seemed as sharp as a knife tonight as when I told her about the dog she said you said that before which was when I visited the other day, normally its gone in 5 minutes.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
What super medication do they have your mother on!! she sounds really calm and happy. What reports do you get from the staff on the ward?

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
The same as when she went in there although they do have a day centre next to the ward but she has been settled the last few days according to staff. She is mostly sitting at the nurses station observing. :)

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
John Lewis have delivered the bed, well two actually, Instead of a base and mattress they delivered two bases so one has been taken away. Now waiting for a phone call from special customer services to tell me when the mattress will be delivered.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Oh dear, sometimes miss the days when you would purchase something and then make your own arrangements for getting it home, Hope they have not charged you for extra base, do you think somewhere there is someone with 2 mattresses!!!!

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Still waiting for mattress, apparently might be on tonights trailer from distribution centre down south according to local JL warehouse, so possibly tomorrow.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Fingers crossed, Hope discharge goes ok and your mum is calm. Sorry you have lost your study, but at least you can set up in her old bedroom so not lost completely. Take care.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi banger696
just to say I hope your mum's discharge goes well and she soon settles into her new environment
best wishes to you both

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Phew what an evening after about 6pm, the Hospital has been giving mums amisulpride earlier in the day and tonight she was really stroppy and insistent about going home or back to hospital.

I was in a panic not knowing how to appease her so called Crisis team but they said they would ring back.

She was going to walk home (North East to Shropshire) and started wandering round the front door and begging me to take her home in my car, she knew who I was because she used my name several times, it was awful to see.

Then came my saviour, Deb the carer with dementia training. She asked me what help I needed and just said personal care and help trying to appease her with the going home sundowners thing. She was brilliant, because my mum has answers for everything well so did Deb so she managed to get her in her new bedroom and into her nightie. She was going to put her in a dressing gown to come back and watch telly but mum decided she wanted to go to bed, and that was that, crisis over!

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Lets hope you are ready for a bit of a disturbed night, your mum is bound to be confused and maybe a little frightened after spending a few weeks in hospital.

I remember when I wanted to transfer mum from sleeping on the sofa to her new bedroom, I could not do it, had to ring a friend to come round and talk mum into trying the new bed and it worked, but she would not do it for me, her daughter!!!!

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Much calmer day today and the carer got mum into bed early so I will have an early night. This mornings carer came around 9am and gave mum a bed bath because she was feeling low and didnt want to get up so stayed in bed til 2pm the time I also got up so made her some toast and tea and she got up.

Have got her meds back to the original routine so that might have helped with the agitation.

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Woke up to a dog wagging his tail at 6am, went to investigate and found her upstairs in her old bedroom picking flufff up.

She forgot her bedroom was downstairs after going to the loo.

No stick no frame nothing, so I helped her back downstairs. Baby gate on stairs?

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Mum is now the proud owner of two new hearing aids programmed to her hearing curve, free on the NHS.

The process was quite interesting with the hearing test unit connected to a laptop where mum had to press a button with headphones on when she heard certain tones, which was recorded on a graph to map mums left and right hearing curves. Her hearing was as expected good at low frequencies tailing off above 11khz.

After the hearing test the man measured her ears for suitable aids and then using USB adapter plugged the aids into his laptop where the hearing curve could be applied to the aids so it is tailored to the ears, so mum has a boost at the top end of the spectrum.

Took about 1½ hours to do both procedures all done in the home and mums clarity should be much better over the next few weeks as the man programmed the aids to increase their gain over the next few weeks.

I recommend this procedure with the Outside clinic (NHS funded) if you need hearing aids.