Sudden Changes

LadySadie

May 22, 2024
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this:
My husband (I'll call him G, age 59) has dementia, most likely Alzheimer's. He seems to be in stage 5, possibly 6. Doctors don't assign stages here. Most days he's quite alert, and his version of "normal". However, on a couple of occasions recently, his abilities changed VERY drastically and suddenly. He couldn't walk on his own, what he said didn't make sense, and he couldn't follow simple requests or demands, such as 'sit down', or complete any daily living activities like feeding himself. None of this had ever been a problem before. This change (decline?) lasts for a day or two and then he gradually returns to himself. When he sleeps, he constantly talks in his sleep as well as groaning and sometimes laughing. Not his usual behaviour. This has happened on three different occasions, witnessed by the workers at his day program and a nurse also. We have investgated but are waiting for an appointment to see a neurologist...which, here in New Brunswick Canada, could take a year or more. Our investigation discovered that he didn't have a UTI, and it wasn't the result of a change in medications. We are waiting for bloodwork results, too.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
The first thing I thought was UTI but as that has been ruled out then keeping the medical team informed sounds like the right thing to do. I wouldn’t if you might get some support from this link.
Although the major of people on this forum are from the UK so wouldn’t be able to comment on what happens with services, we can all identify with the ups and downs of dementia.
My mum who had Alzheimer’s went through a very sudden change, became very aggressive and resisted to personal care. All infections were ruled out and she was referred to the mental health services where the psychiatrist diagnosed mixed dementia. We agreed on no further tests as mum is in her 80s and would have been terrified.

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
IMG_6197.jpeg

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
My OH is very similar at the moment. Very rapid decline,struggles to walk and get out of bed and has become bowel incontinent over night and has been for a week. He also can't follow simple commands and he talks nonsense .

He's had blood urine test ,all clear.
He's now seeing the cardiologist as his pulse rate can go very low ( bradycardia). Heart monitor and echocardiogram booked again! Also waiting to see the neurologist to see if he has Parkinson's.
Dr trying I establish if there's a treatable solution to his decline.

annieka 56

Aug 8, 2022
My OH is very similar at the moment. Very rapid decline,struggles to walk and get out of bed and has become bowel incontinent over night and has been for a week. He also can't follow simple commands and he talks nonsense .

He's now seeing the cardiologist as his pulse rate can go very low ( bradycardia). Heart monitor and echocardiogram booked again! Also waiting to see the neurologist to see if he has Parkinson's.

annieka 56

Aug 8, 2022
Very worrying for you.
It does sound like that you have a good GP and hopefully helpful appointments booked to explore various possibilities.
Good luck with it all x

annieka 56

Aug 8, 2022
Constipation can cause a rapid decline that's reversed once person has had a bowel movement.
I'm glad you said that because I think it's possibly often overlooked.
I recall a care home manager who came to our home 6 months ago to assess my husband for respite mentioned this from her experience and said often people are 'happy ' if there hasn't been a bowel movement for 2 or 3 days beyond the usual, but said in their care home it sometimes made a big difference.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Tha
thats great Sue, thank you. Mum’s care home check for infection and I am hot on her hydration. They don’t let them get constipated properly…but she was off on Sunday but then on Monday I was told did a poo as big as the carers arm 🤣🤣 and has been fine since…..I’m guessing even being ‘backed up’ isn’t good!

LadySadie

May 22, 2024

I called G's neurologist today. 2-3 year wait list.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
I called G's neurologist today. 2-3 year wait list.
Gosh ,I'm sorry your wait is so long. My oh appointment is 30 September and I thought that was bad. .
Each week I think his symptoms are more Parkinson's ,so rigid and inflexible at times. Also like your husband,talks in his sleep and sometimes laughs. I think by the time he sees the neurologist tests won't be necessary as it will be obvious to an expert.

We have have been given a wheelchair to use.

But I also think he will be told he has heart failure as well. His stomach legs and feet are swollen and a long standing history of heart attacks. He is certainly presenting as an unwell man at the moment.

My oh is older than your husband,78, but when I read your post I thought I could have written it.

I hope your Dr can help while you're waiting for the neurologist. X

Last edited:

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enticottdebbie