So, what’s my Pauline been up to today?

SJM10

Jan 10, 2021
Hi, i know this is slightly different, however 30 years ago when my daughter was a baby, she had a kink in the tube froming from a kidney and got regular urine infection as urine stayed in the tube. As a result and concern re kidney she was given antibiotics each night for several years which worked . So maybe they could do a low level to keep things at bay. Fortunately as my daughter grew the kink straightened out .

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Hi, i know this is slightly different, however 30 years ago when my daughter was a baby, she had a kink in the tube froming from a kidney and got regular urine infection as urine stayed in the tube. As a result and concern re kidney she was given antibiotics each night for several years which worked . So maybe they could do a low level to keep things at bay. Fortunately as my daughter grew the kink straightened out .
In Pauline’s case it is muscle weakness through childbirth and she has had 2 operations. They did have her catheterising her self but the infections were fast and furious so they went onto duality antibiotics but stopped them also. Given she can’t fully empty her bladder leads of course to infections so vicious circle.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
As if the UTI’s and changing behaviours coupled with possible moving to a flat are not enough, Pauline fell coming in the front door yesterday and is badly bruised all down one side. As well as being very sore she is in shock as she still had the shakes after a bad night sleep wise. Within an hour of her getting up this morning she is asleep in her recliner riser and looks so uncomfortable, yet the sleep appears deep. Another indicator about moving to a trip free environment of an adapted and sheltered flat that we are due to view at 11 o'clock?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh I‘m so sorry to hear about the fall @Agzy. I hope Pauline is OK and that you still manage to view the flat. It would be so much better for you both if the move could go ahead.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so sorry to hear about the fall and I hope Pauline recovers soon. OH is always much more shaky when hes tired and I get concerned about him falling too.
I think I agree with Izzy about the move being for the best. People with dementia hate change and, given the choice, will veto any sort of new venture. You may have to surreptitiously over-rule her.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Very sorry to hear about Pauline's fall @Agzy . My Dad is falling a lot at the moment and it is a grest worry. I think you are right about a safer environment and hope the visit goes well today.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
The flat - part one.
Well we met with the manager of the block of flats and first he showed us a wonderful ground floor community area with lots of sofas and chairs along with A Big TV and a tea/coffee machine and a members library where we were welcomed by half a dozen residents.
Then it was the laundry room and half a dozen washing machines and several tumble driers in a nice clean setting and all Free To Use for residents!
from there we went up to the 6th floor in a clean and roomy lift and into our own vestibule area with charging point for wheelchairs and scooters if needed and of course the front door leading into the flat.
We were told 3 bedrooms but two had been knocked into one very large room having therefore 2 windows overlooking our village, the hills of north Wales, and as with the whole flat there was a storage radiator in the other a good sized bedroom with just one window but as south west facing lots of light at that time of day. All very positive for me.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
The flat - part one.
Well we met with the manager of the block of flats and first he showed us a wonderful ground floor community area with lots of sofas and chairs along with A Big TV and a tea/coffee machine and a members library where we were welcomed by half a dozen residents.
Then it was the laundry room and half a dozen washing machines and several tumble driers in a nice clean setting and all Free To Use for residents!
from there we went up to the 6th floor in a clean and roomy lift and into our own vestibule area with charging point for wheelchairs and scooters if needed and of course the front door leading into the flat.
We were told 3 bedrooms but two had been knocked into one very large room having therefore 2 windows overlooking our village, the hills of north Wales, and as with the whole flat there was a storage radiator in the other a good sized bedroom with just one window but as south west facing lots of light at that time of day. All very positive for me.
sounds just what you need. what did pauline think of it?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Maybe worth asking about having a permanent anti-biotic again. It might not have been a clinical decision to stop them, just information getting mislaid between various bits of the NHS.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The flat - part one.
Sounds wonderful, and exactly what you need.

I feel a large BUT coming on in part 2, however....

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
The flat, Part 2.
the lounge was roomy and outside balcony bathed in sunlight and clearly a sun trap for me and my memories of sitting outside the caravan in warmer climes like Spain. The lounge also has Sky via plug in, as large dish on the roof which means a different remote for Pauline to master ? but not insurmountable. Given the three, bedroom windows and the full width lounge window/veranda door, we will need lots of new blinds and/or curtains and a great yardage of super ‘cushion-floor’ as laminate not allowed but all good on that as warmer underfoot.
The kitchen is larger than here at home with space for electric cooker as of course no gas and also a gap for a narrow fridge freezer and small two seater table, and cupboards aplenty.
Just the bathroom then!

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
The Flat Part 3
I was on a high at this stage and then the door to the bathroom was opened and (several expletives) dear!
Ok, it is small and no natural light and basically a concrete box with loo and washbasin but no shelving or cupboards although they can be retrofitted I am sure. The ‘shower’ however was a different issue altogether.
Originally, where the shower is there was a large cast iron bath which, during refurbishment was removed (this was true for all the flats here) and, as all the piping and waste was boxed in under the bath all had been fine but, with a shower there is no way for the the pipes etc to boxed in other than raising shower tray which is what they have had to do.
So the shower tray, which is the length of the original bath, is 12” high from the floor and access is via a narrow step to a narrow shelf-step. To the left a tiled wall and ahead the shower taps etc and a shower curtain; but to the right no rail or shower panel just open to possible or probable slips and falls down onto either the floor below or even worse the sink and toilet.
I asked the building manager who was showing us around about me making adaptations for screen-wall instead of curtain and he said it wasn’t allowed as dangerous if some fell and got stuck in the shower, then went on to say no adaptations at all were allowed.
Once home I phoned head office and after lengthy chat with deputy manager have arranged to meet her at the flat to assess the situation and clarify what can be done although was at pains to say the flats are advertised as for over 55s not as suitable for disabled tenants. So will know more later. The photo attached just gives and idea of the step.
2D5CBB46-F469-40F5-8649-6CD04074310D.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark65