So, what’s my Pauline been up to today?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
the council adapted our bathroom to a wet room with shower curtain and fold down seat attached to the wall. we didnt have the shower screen as he is a falls risk. that step looks dangerous and definitely need something. my husband holds them while i dry him. the shower floor has the drain and a pump to pump water out under the sink. we have non-slip flooring. older people can have needs that need adaption. doesnt have to be disabled.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
the council adapted our bathroom to a wet room with shower curtain and fold down seat attached to the wall. we didnt have the shower screen as he is a falls risk. that step looks dangerous and definitely need something. my husband holds them while i dry him. the shower floor has the drain and a pump to pump water out under the sink. we have non-slip flooring. older people can have needs that need adaption. doesnt have to be disabled.
This is the problem in that the block was built in the 60s and of course all piping conduits built in so cant be buried under the floor so a wet room is not an option. I believe a sort of sit in shower/bath can be fitted for which I am willing to pay which is one option I will be mentioning later to them.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
This is the problem in that the block was built in the 60s and of course all piping conduits built in so cant be buried under the floor so a wet room is not an option. I believe a sort of sit in shower/bath can be fitted for which I am willing to pay which is one option I will be mentioning later to them.
my house is a rema house pre caste concrete and built just after the war. i hope you find a solution to it as the rest of the flat sounds ideal

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I knew there was going to be a 'but' and that sounds like a big one. However it's good that you are going to discuss how you might get round it.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
My mum was in a third floor council flat & had a shower like this where the bath used to be. They offered to put a pole in place so there was something to grip hold of when getting in & out of the shower. At the time the council refused to convert to a wet room due to it being a third floor flat, would only do those on ground level.
The hand rails don’t look to me to be in a suitable position for a person who needs to hold on to something when using the shower or getting in or out.
What a shame it was all looking so positive.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Met with Housing Association lady and I was accompanied by Pauline and her eldest son and got into the flat and we all could see it was difficult for Pauline but, having watched her try and simulate getting in and showering I was informed that other than an additional grab handle they would allow nothing else. Given I have just had a quote for building an extension toilet shower at £30k I feel there is no alternative but to accept the flat and maybe purchase a shower chair which might cause her to be more limited in her showering movements. Definitely cast a shadow over it all but the die is cast and have signed up. As an addendum as I read terms and conditions it says I wont need permission for adaptations after 24 months occupancy which I suspect will be a wee bit too late ☹️☹️☹️

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh dear. That’s such a shame @Agzy. I got help from the Occupational Therapist when trying find ways to help my husband. They provided the shower chair for us and made other useful suggestions. Sorry if you’ve already considered this - just a thoughT.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Oh dear. That’s such a shame @Agzy. I got help from the Occupational Therapist when trying find ways to help my husband. They provided the shower chair for us and made other useful suggestions. Sorry if you’ve already considered this - just a thoughT.
Yes to the chair @Izzy but the lady, Sue, said she had consulted their own OT dept and they have veto everything as being a ‘potential’ hazard so, as rented property cannot be carried out without specific permission from them! There must be a way and will carry on looking, thank you.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Met with Housing Association lady and I was accompanied by Pauline and her eldest son and got into the flat and we all could see it was difficult for Pauline but, having watched her try and simulate getting in and showering I was informed that other than an additional grab handle they would allow nothing else. Given I have just had a quote for building an extension toilet shower at £30k I feel there is no alternative but to accept the flat and maybe purchase a shower chair which might cause her to be more limited in her showering movements. Definitely cast a shadow over it all but the die is cast and have signed up. As an addendum as I read terms and conditions it says I wont need permission for adaptations after 24 months occupancy which I suspect will be a wee bit too late ☹️☹️☹️
would a shower stool or fold up shower chair be better

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
would a shower stool or fold up shower chair be better

I was advised by OT not to get a fold up stool for my husband. Her reason was that he needed a chair with arms so that he could use the arms to help himself stand up from the chair

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I was advised by OT not to get a fold up stool for my husband. Her reason was that he needed a chair with arms so that he could use the arms to help himself stand up from the chair
fair enough. i meant a fold up chair with arms. we have a fold up chair with arms fixed to the wall. not a fold up stool. the arms move up and down as well.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Might something that works on suction be of use (I used them for dad and the suction is strong, to be sure I renewed it at times) eg

and

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Amazing how many possible solutions not allowed as potential hazards when what’s there is obviously a hazard already. Maybe you can position something between shower side and toilet to help stop her falling out/off.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Thank you all. I did consider a shower chair with arms etc but it would entail Pauline actually turning round and lowering herself into and then out of it. One slip and she is ’in the sink’ with her. There is a possible solution and am going to post a question on general site, thanks again.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
After soul searching, researching and getting excellent advice and support on here, the decision on house versus flat is finally made. I phoned the Alzheimer’s Soc helpline as advised and also Admiral, and it is clear that I would be wrong to take the flat as, if Pauline is struggling now imagine the future where even carers would struggle to assist her bathing never mind increased risk of trips and falls.
Based on that we will stay here in our house and, again after telephone advice and given I have full POA, I am allowed to use a reasonable amount of her savings for her safety, wellbeing and comfort including an extension. I was advised to consult with SS if possible and I will wait for them to catch up with me on the long list of applicants but get some access issues sorted extra banister and front door ramp and grab rails Asap. Thank you all and wish me well when I tell the respective family members the news!

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
After soul searching, researching and getting excellent advice and support on here, the decision on house versus flat is finally made. I phoned the Alzheimer’s Soc helpline as advised and also Admiral, and it is clear that I would be wrong to take the flat as, if Pauline is struggling now imagine the future where even carers would struggle to assist her bathing never mind increased risk of trips and falls.
Based on that we will stay here in our house and, again after telephone advice and given I have full POA, I am allowed to use a reasonable amount of her savings for her safety, wellbeing and comfort including an extension. I was advised to consult with SS if possible and I will wait for them to catch up with me on the long list of applicants but get some access issues sorted extra banister and front door ramp and grab rails Asap. Thank you all and wish me well when I tell the respective family members the news!
Well this all sounds positive. Clearly a few hoops to go through but you know what you want. Hope the family can see this too.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Well this all sounds positive. Clearly a few hoops to go through but you know what you want. Hope the family can see this too.
When we told Paulines eldest son and his wife the reaction was all about cash, how much? Who is paying what? All don’t with angry faces and Pauline almost shouting, “I am staying here.” As for me a great relief.