So bizarre !

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Ann
Its just a thought, but maybe day-care are feeding MiL as it is one way to distract her/ calm / settle her?
(Food was always a good distraction for my husband).

Also.... just a thought.....
They might be giving MiL food when she asks .... 'as she has rights' ....
SW I had (I've written on TP about me and them not getting on) .... said I HAD TO give my husband food
if he asked for it, even if he had just eaten, it was his 'human right' to have access to food 24/7.

Do they show you / keep a food diary?
Maybe you could ask her GP to write a letter (MiL might have to giver permission?)
explaining why it is important monitor food intake.

Naughty-naughty Mr Mac.... No disappearing in the shed tonight !!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Post came, about 14:30. Not good.

Letter 1, upping the electricity/gas bill by about 150%! Why did they reduce it by that amount 6 months ago at the start of winter don't they realise people use more in the winter?

Letter 2. From bank, saying there had been a cheque presented for more than available funds. Due, I think, to care home only banking once a week. There was more than enough on the 1st, but 2 cheques to care home hadn't been presented! Just been in to top up funds. Do they know how much money I've paid them recently?
First time in my life!

Letter 3. ATOS, need I say more? Place Norwich , an hour and a half away. Time 09:00. When, next Wednesday ! Well, if OH was still at home, I couldn't even leave till 10:00. It's also the day when there is a big local event, some roads closed. They sent a map, of Great Yarmouth!. I phoned them and they begrudgingly said they could change it. Then she said that's GY, I'm like no, Norwich, but the map is GY. No, Norwich is a typo! A whole line of address is a typo, OK, I realise you can do that with two keys, but don't they ever check what's on the letter?

One good thing, I've been asked, with others, to meet up with some of our county council, to tell them of our needs and wants. I open to ideas from anybody, as well as people from Norfolk /Suffolk/Essex. The meeting is on Thursday July 23rd. Can PM me if you want and I won't mention names.

Respite, Ann?

Duvet evening, I think!

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex

Letter 1, upping the electricity/gas bill by about 150%! Why did they reduce it by that amount 6 months ago at the start of winter don't they realise people use more in the winter?

We got one of those a few weeks ago. They were upping the monthly direct debit by a LOT more than our consumption increase, so I went on one of those comparative sites (just to get a quick idea of other options) then rang up my supplier and threatened to take my business elsewhere if they insisted on taking such a ridiculous amount.

They caved and put the direct debit back to the original amount, albeit more being contributed to the gas to make up for the winter usage.

Then, fuelled (no pun intended) by my success I phoned up Virgin Media and got them to reduce our monthly payment for phone, Broadband and TV.

Then I phoned up Mum and Dad's power supplier and got them a reduction too.

Then I phoned up BT and got Mum and Dad a small decrease in their monthly payment as they were on the wrong package.

A tip - phone up these people on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday as they are more likely to give you money off on those days (I think it's something to do with their weekly retention targets) and ASK TO SPEAK TO ACCOUNT CLOSURES!!!!! These advisers are targeted to keep you with them so are more likely to give you what you want.

There are a lot of energy suppliers out there so you don't have to take this nonsense. Also the law has changed recently to make it easier to switch so the consumer is in a stronger position.

Fight the power!!!

Last edited:

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland

Same problem here, I overpaid last summer when the aga was turned off and they refunded me the credit at the start of winter when it was turned back on. :confused:
N Power have now increased my monthly dd by £84 pm just as I have turned the aga off again!!!!!!!!!.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Spamar, when mum first went into her care home she hit one of the carers too. It was also while she was being dressed. I was absolutely horrified and mortified, but the carer and manager were totally unfazed - said not to worry, no damage done and they knew what triggered it so would avoid it next time.
So please dont be too upset - it does seem to happen fairly regularly.

Can you drink wine under the duvet? I might try it and find out :eek:

Last edited:

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Maybe this would help?

Attachments

• tmp_25621-the_wine_r_the_wine_rack_flask_bra-1281172987.jpg
    tmp_25621-the_wine_r_the_wine_rack_flask_bra-1281172987.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 455

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Can you drink wine under the duvet? I might try it and find out :eek:

Yes you can. But to avoid upset of any kind.... Use a straw :D

Mum "smacks" the carers regularly.... She was a regular smacker to us kids because "just in case you are thinking of being naughty"

I had to show the carers the smack avoidance dance..... We are putting it to music soon....

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Celia and 2Jays - I have been trying to think of something clever to say about the covert under-the-duvet drinking aids.

Im afraid my only response is

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
Sippy cup, to avoid spillages. Or a very long straw leading to the bottle under the bed.

Those with OHs who have urinal bottles - do not get bottles mixed up!

(Please excuse irreverence of my post, am just finishing off bottle of Pinot Grigio, without aid of straw or sippy cup I might add! Watching programme about people who are too fat to leave their house. Finding it hard to summon up sympathy when my parents have conditions beyond their control.)

Last edited:

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all

Wish I'd known there was a party going on here last night - I would have been here with either white wine or brandy, and quite happy to have used a mug or even a ruddy vase if all the covert drinking recepticals were taken (Would draw the line at urinal bottle, though, Suzanna) :D

Every so often we go and check out other companies for utilities and so on - we generally make savings of around £300 per year. The only thing is if you are using a price comparison site, when you sign up make sure you look out for and check or uncheck (as the case may be) the boxes that give consent for your phone number to be shared out. First time we used one of those sites we had months of cold calls to contend with, all because we didn't tick one tiny box!

I would be furious at cheques not being presented promptly, Spamar - how on earth are you supposed to know where you are up to if you can't rely on payments being taken within a reasonable time frame! I had a slightly different scenario with my bank, a week or so back though - in a pet shop, I stupidly didn't check an ammount when giving my pin, and found that £110.50, instead of the £10.50 I'd spent, had been taken from my account. That happened on the Saturday, and the funds were removed immediately - on the Wednesday (after I realised) I went back to the shop and they refunded the £100 onto my card - it took till the following Saturday for it to show up in my account again! Actually, your post has just reminded me that I'm STILL waiting for the bill for Mil's week's respite - money is there, no problem, just that they have said I have to wait for them to invoice us before it can be paid.

I don't know what it is with the food at day care, Grace, but even the CPN commented that its ridiculous the way these places always have biscuits/snacks on offer. The menu offered is also quite calorific, deliberately so, as so many of the residents have very small appetites (unlike Mil). I honestly don't know what their stance is about providing food on 'demand' but I can appreciate that it is difficult to say no if Mil is asking :(

Yesterday evening was a repeat, more or less, of the night before. She was dropped off at 3.15, so home a lot earlier which made for a longish evening, and came through the door confabulating like fury. Her first words to me, after greeting me at the door, were to tell me she had had a 'S**t of a day' and there followed another convoluted tale about missing money (which started as her being accused of stealing and morphed into her being the victim of theft) and then onto how she couldn't go in tomorrow as Matron has arranged for them all to run races all day, and she doesn't feel like taking part. That evolved into a party/bit of a do that she said is going to happen 'tomorrow' and somehow that meant that she had to go to 'The Shire Hall' to pick up the stuff that they had sent her a letter about, and her frantically emptying her bag and wringing her hands because she couldn't find said letter! OH got back in at that point, and this was the cue for Mil to start on 'Are you taking me home now?'. He actually tried saying 'Yes, OK Mum' - and she was off to get her coat!!! So he went to 'later', 'In a couple of hours', 'soon'. Nothing satisfied 'Are you taking me home now? Can we go home now? Mum and Dad will be waiting for me at home, can you phone me a taxi?'. It didn't get to the 'extreme' stage, no coat and shoes on, no banging at doors and windows, but it was like the dripping tap torture all evening, right through till bedtime. After an hour or so, the 'nastiness' was creeping in - why were we keeping her prisoner? One of these days she would find out why we keeping her here! Did we get some sort of kick out of worrying her parents like this? OH tried telling her straight - Doctors had said she couldn't live alone so she had been living with us for nearly 2 years, this is 'home' and he wasn't going to discus it again. 'I know all that' she said 'But I've changed my mind so take me home now' :rolleyes: And on it went, every few minutes requests or demands to go home, OH responding by firmly refusing to discus and eventually warning her he would ask her to go to her room if she didn't stop. From 7.30, she alternated with 'home' and announcing she was 'going to bed' every few minutes - several times she went upstairs (by this point we were more than happy for her to go upstairs and risk the possibility of a disturbed night in exchange for a couple of hours free of the ear bashing!) but came straight back down and into 'home' again. We had brief 'respites' where she went looking for the knitting she thought she had and the 'wooden thing' that was 'over there a few minutes ago', then back to 'Are you taking me home now?'.
At 9, I went up with her to sort the pull ups and she objected strongly to me taking her clothes to wash them - she would do them at 'home, tomorrow'! *sigh*

And, by the way, OH had a 'brilliant' idea last night - when Old Red is finished, wouldn't it be great to buy another old banger, then he could do it up and we could sell it for profit? I think my response left him slightly dazzled by how fluent I am in Anglo-saxon English, when the occasion demands it :rolleyes: :mad:

She has been up and down in the night - directed her back to bed at 2a.m. and again at 4,30 (when I had just give up trying to get back to sleep as hip/back was sore and so was getting up myself) - also noticed son's bedroom door was open, so I think she has been in there at some point between 2 and 4.30, too. With her dressing gown on, I couldn't tell if she was wet or dry or even if she still had the pad on, and didn't want to risk agitating her at that time when everyone else was still asleep by checking, so just have fingers crossed now.

Back to the editing today, and usual general house chores. Hope you all have a good day xxxx

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
And, by the way, OH had a 'brilliant' idea last night - when Old Red is finished, wouldn't it be great to buy another old banger, then he could do it up and we could sell it for profit? I think my response left him slightly dazzled by how fluent I am in Anglo-saxon English, when the occasion demands it :rolleyes: :mad:

Well done, several years ago my OH built a Westfield kit car and I think I only saw him at mealtimes & bedtime for about a year. Recently he said what a good idea if he bought an old land rover to do up, I think my answer must have been similar to yours. :rolleyes:

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
quality time for OH and MIL together

And, by the way, OH had a 'brilliant' idea last night - when Old Red is finished, wouldn't it be great to buy another old banger,
....actually, I think this is a brilliant idea.......:eek::eek::eek::eek:
The proviso being that you get to do it up at night school.... Car Refurb 101 for beginners.:cool: It could take a whole year at night school, lots of company for you, and lots of quality time for OH and MIL together :D:D:D:rolleyes: ( and of course, at night school you are bound to find lots of geeks willing to do the work for you;);))

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Think you ought to consider Cragmaids idea, Ann!

Red, not fond of G&T, prefer red or white, German Riesling, NZ Sauvignon, Cornish White (Camel Valley, biased, moi!) Portuguese port or red wine, Spanish red, Aussie red otherwise anything I can get my hands on!
Actually, not done much drinking recently, always driving! And to OH all alcohol tastes horrible these days.

There is, of course, a story behind reason I don't drink gin ( it started with gin and orange, and you can guess the rest). Don't drink Baileys either. Something to do with the Irish club in Maryport!

Went to see OH this morning and our podiatrist was coming to attend to feet. Well, he was in vaguely better mood, but words were not clear, when he could remember them. Had to put him into wheelchair to get him 5 steps to recliner. His walking was non- existant! He wasn't very keen on having his feet done either. Usually he gets a quick hand massage as well, but he wasn't going to tolerate it today.
What worried me was that when the boys were getting him to his feet to get into the wheel chair, on a couple of occasions he seemed to go rigid and his eyes seemed to stare and glaze over. Any ideas? I thought it might be a TIA, but I've never noticed that particular behaviour before.
I do find it difficult not bring fully au fait with what's going on!

Went to exercise class and it's not on today! Not sure it was a good idea anyway!

Sunny and hot here, glad to get inside where it's cool. Have a good afternoon!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Another 'wide awake at 4a.m.' morning for me here - seems like my body clock has decided that waking extra early at the moment is a really good idea :rolleyes:

TBH, after what I had to say, the idea of doing up another camper has, I think, been shelved for the moment - but should he raise the matter again, I will bear in mind Maureen's response:)

I suspect that the stories behind why I won't touch whisky or cider are similar to your reasons for not touching the gin or baileys, Spamar :D I'd be thinking TIA, like you, from what you describe of your OH yesterday, hun. Have you asked the home if any of the staff have noted that happening on other occasions?

Another wet pad but dry bed yesterday - Mil is really confused about the use of the pull ups - she seems to have it in her head that they should actually stop her wetting while asleep, so as far as she is concerned, the fact that the pad is wet, if not the bed, means they 'don't work properly'. I tried explaining that they don't actually stop her weeing, just make sure that she doesn't end up in a soaked bed, but she can't seem to grasp it, and again yesterday morning she was adamant that there is no point in my insisting that she wears them. The cross mood lingered over washing, just one moan and complaint after another - water not hot enough, she had bathed the night before (not!) and didn't need a wash, her skins going to be sore if I keep making her wash, decided she didn't like the colour of the towel half way through and when I didn't simply get her a different one, she then insisted it was too rough/damp. She cleaned (with help) the top half of her dentures, but then a battle to persuade her that she hadn't yet cleaned the bottom set. Downstairs, the complaints stopped with breakfast being served, but thats only because the porridge was going in so fast she couldn't speak - it was all over the table, the floor, her hands - and after a couple of big dollops landing in her lap and down the front of her, I got a big napkin and tucked it round her neck to save her having to change her clothes before going out. Surprisingly, she didn't object and contented herself with a glare instead. The mini bus was half an hour late, as yet another different member of staff was driving it and had got lost, which didn't help - she went off in a very bad mood when the bus did eventually arrive.

And again, reliant on the mini bus to bring her home, she was back at 3.15, and in no better mood, sadly! OH was engrossed in Old Red, and decided to bring Mil to sit on a garden chair in the sun while he worked, so he could keep an eye. Honest, I didn't so much as crack a smile at the number of times he had to stop what he was doing to deal with her comments and questions and complaints, to deal with her wanting a drink, needing the loo or getting up to go look for various non-existent items or carry out some non-existent task. Safe to say, he found it pretty hard going. He decided to pack up about 6pm, and came in with her - he went up to wash, and as soon as he was up the stairs, she came through to the dining room and stood glaring at me. I asked what was wrong and she sort of snorted at me. So I asked had I done something wrong? Apparently I had - I'd 'pinched' her boyfriend! Straight away I firmly told her she was mistaken, said I'd show her photographs of our wedding day and offered to show her both our wedding certificate and OH's birth certificate, obviously listing her as his Mum. One of those occasions when you could see that as I spoke, the 'facts' clicked into place for her and she realised the truth. I got a very stiff 'I'm sorry - I made a mistake - all right!' off her and she went back to sitting on the sofa with her head in her hands :(

We didn't have tea till around 6.30 and - true to form lately, as soon as the last bite went down, she started on 'Why am I living here - I want to go home now'. Both OH and I were left with the impression that the way she was had more to do with her being in a bad mood and being determined to needle us - she definitely had a basic grasp of the situation, of where she was and why. The whole attitude was that of a grumpy child and the comments were so obviously child like and designed to provoke. She told me she was 'fed up' and was not going to shut up until we 'gave in'! By quarter to 8, it was clear that the mood wasn't improving, despite us both trying to soothe and distract and she was told to go to her room. OH took her meds up at 9, me following to get her sorted with pull ups and so on - different person entirely, smiles, talking pleasantly, no fuss or nastiness at all and she went to bed with a very cheery 'Good night'.

Car going in first thing this morning for the necessary work to get it through the MOT - I'll be pottering round with fingers crossed, hoping that its done quickly and she doesn't have to come home early on the mini bus again!

Hope all of you manage to have a good day today - sun's shining already here, really lovely sitting outsde with a coffee this morning, so hope its the same for all of you x

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
For eating her porridge would she tolerate a tabard or bib? I saw a discussion about them on another thread.

If the pad is wet and the bed dry is it possible to just change the subject rather than debate with her, especially in the morning when she won't remember the conversation the next evening?

I've been pondering what Sparmar meant with me sounding like a different person on my rant - I'm hot headed with Irish blood, so rant is more me than measured comment in the moment so maybe that's it.

Spoke to chocolate teapot brother yesterday about the house, probably had one of the best conversations I've had with him for years ( we weren't on speaking terms before hand) and have made some decisions on her house. It is odd situation as it is near enough derelict so only builders are interested and we are trying to play them off to get best value. We had option to develop with one of them but decided not to do that - just too risky if structural damage discovered. I'm sure I've written before that house needed rewiring when they purchased it in '67 and that never got done. As brother said such big numbers it's hard to get your head round it and that it is sort of your money - I know we have to act in mum's best interests and we know it might all get gobbled up by care home fees but we were prepared to consider risk a bit more as we should get the money in the end (not that we expect it - just the reality).

I didn't join the party the other night as sticking to my weight watchers plan, but G & T goes down well in this house. I've had bad experiences with Port which I still partake in at the end of a formal dinner (so plenty of red first) and stick to the one glass now, and also Tequilla (at OH's 40th). Hopefully I'll manage his 50th in a couple of years a bit better.