So bizarre !

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
I have Wednesday and Saturday with nothing planned. OH works a full day Wednesday and part of Saturday so am on my own with mil

My issue is this do I enjoy the peace and quiet because she never gets up until about 4pm or do I force her up? I tend to let her sleep until she wants to get up on those 2 days because all the days I get her up what she would call the middle of the night ie 7.15am!

Oh and although she claims not to sleep well at night she does not wander

Summerheather

Feb 22, 2015
I love all you guys, your threads make me feel normal.

Ann Mac, don't ever stop posting - your threads make my day.

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
Weekends are the worst for us too.
Mum only attends her day centre one day per week - I wish it were open on a Saturday - I would swap the weekday slot with Saturday in a flash. It would give me freedom to spend time with hubby & kids.

Today I plan to get outside a bit, my car desperately needs a wash......it will definitely take hours (I wish) I can wave to mum through the window and hope that this keeps her amused.

Don't know you all, never met you but thank heaven you are there at the end of the computer thingy!!!
Twiddler x

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi HT, no computers = no TP. Not sure I could have managed!
Last week, promised my friendly person- who- gardens that I would work either him on Tuesday. Forgot podiatrist and people coming for lunch ( it happens so rarely...) so, as the bins and the car were filthy, absolutely filthy, he did that for me. Wow, clean car, til I took it out next day! But it was so dirty I was ashamed of it. I've promised the gardener my time next week ( I hope).

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Morning everyone,

Ann,
You ask ..... how do I put up with MiL trying to , and sometimes force me, to go to bed at 8pm....

I think the answer is either .... I just do.... or.... What choice do I have?
She does not live with me, and only visits for 1-2 days, I know I will only have to cope with it for a day or so.

When she is like this, I don't know who she thinks I am, I don't think she thinks I AM her daughter,
but Who am I?
I know she used to do a lot of babysitting when she was a teenager, so I might be one of her 'charges'.

I've also had her ... in the mornings, ask me to ... "stand over there, and let me check you"...
She wants to check my clothes, hair, nails ... anything else...
(I refuse, play deaf, remove myself from the room, do anything but do as I am told).
This results in her sulking, pulling faces, and being in a right strop.

I think she thinks I am a child, but Who am I? What age am I? and Why is she looking after me?

Several times, she has bought me clothes that are for an 8 year old, I thanked her of course, but pointed out that I am a size 8, and these are for an 8 year old, and she has replied ..... " well, try them on anyway ".

Another thing.... gggrrr, this really tests my patience.....
OK, so I've cooked a lovey meal..... for example a roast dinner, and MiL comes into kitchen and takes food off my plate (as I am serving) , and tells me off for being greedy...
She says things like (with pointy finger) ..... "Now, when you've eaten that, then you can have some more...." or....
"Why don't you eat that first, then you can come back" ... "I don't want you wasting food".

The amount of food she wants me to have on my plate, is about what you would give an 8-10 year old.

Its at this point, she is obviously in a loop, and is thinking I am a child.
GGRRRRR, but it does not make sense, as I've cooked a roast meal, and a child would not.

Sooo, and I hate to say this, I take food off my plate (do as I am told), and then go up for 'seconds'.... which is not really 'seconds' had I been allowed to have the right amount of food in the first place.

This is just a small part of a day in my crazy world of MiL and Alz.

Anniebell

Jan 31, 2015
Good morning everybody! Blue sky, but windy ( though not as bad as last night!). Yesterday went well!!! Went out for coffee to one of those places where you can park right outside and you can have a good natter ( if she's got time) with the lady who runs it). Feels like popping into a friends. It's another one that is attached to a farm shop and also has a great butchery, meat from down the road! Not that OH eats much meat, he can't chew very well. In fact, he doesnt eat much at all!
Hoping today will be a good day!
RedLou, I agree with you about compassionate communication. It's nice if you can do it, but makes you feel guilty if you can't ( everybody else does it, I must be a bad carer cos I can't all the time)
Thank you for the hug Ann.
Have a good day, folks!
Just a thought, are weekend days better or worse for you, or is there no difference?
'
Morning spamar I don't thinks there's any difference my days are same old same old I think I just yearn for the time I used to look forward to the weekend but like many of us can't plan anything anymore had a rare night out last night enjoyed by all but no matter what I do mums always at the back of my mind have a good day Annie x

Anniebell

Jan 31, 2015
Morning all,

Annie, I really hope you banished the guilt monster and enjoyed your visit to your brother and your night at the pub - and that you banished the guilt monster. I won't go so far as wishing a stay in hospital on Mil (though I am pushing for a weekend or weeks respite, lol) but IF it did happen, I know darn well that I'd enjoy the break - make the most of it, I would x

Hope you managed to get rid of the guilt monster too, Redlou - and I wish people not actually in the thick of caring, or who havent had the experience, would keep their views to themselves, or at least think before they preach! I get the odd aquaintence who will presume to give me 'advice' on occasion, or make some comment that shows clearly that they haven't got a clue - I soon put them right, I'm afraid. The 'compassionate caring' sometimes feels like an unattainable goal, who's main function often seems to me to be simply to illustrate how **** I am at the caring - as you say, enough stress and strain without having to strive for 'saintliness' - its just not possible!

Lol Spamar - maybe your OH had a 'sports day' - like Mil says she had at day care on Friday :D The kids tell me they are OK - youngest tends to shrug it off as 'Just Nana', and is far more interested and concerned about her own little life - school, theatregroup, choir. She tends not to pull her punches when telling you what she thinks, so I am 99% confident that we would all know about it if Nan really upset her! Oldest two have been a bit shocked by Nan's deterioration in the 6 weeks or so since they have seen her, though. Son and tact have never been formally introduced, ( A bit likie youngest!) sadly, so some of his comments have been blunt to the point of hysterical - and really oddly, Mil takes a massive amount of notice off him. A blunt 'Stop being an idiot Nan' from him has more flipping effect than OH and I spending hours gently trying to coax her into behaving!

We haven't hit the point of residential being on the cards, Delphie - not yet, anyway. As I've always said, its a case of never say never, though!

Tin, I think she was heading that way even before the oldest two came home, sadly - we've had a goodish spell of relative calm over the last week or so, so I guess we were due!

OH flip Grace - how do you put up with that? We simply can't be so accomodating to Mils demands - this is why I say though, that in a lot of respects, I have it easier - I'm not dealing with this solo, I have OH backing me up and vice versa. I suspect that if it was just me caring solo, for the simple case of a quiet life and from sheer exhaustion, I'd probably be a lot more inclined to simply go along with what Mil demands.

Lol RageddyAnne - Mil doesn't think she is lucky at all! She's being held prisoner by her evil son/husband and her daughter-in-law/'husbands bit on the side', in her head - she simply doesn't understand why she can't tootle off back 'home' where she remains convinced she washed regualrly, cooked herself decent meals, took her meds, never fell, kept her house clean and where she never wandered the streets at 2a.m. looking for her dead husband :( I feel for you with the 'home' business - I swear the desire for home comes with built in ear muffs - because absolutely nothing you can say actually gets through!

Bless you, Hair Twiddler - sounds like you are having a really rough time too - feel free to off load hun, maybe it will help xxxx

For all of us . . .

Hi Ann thanks I had a nice evening although I didn't manage to banish the guilt monster all together mums always at the back of my mind no matter what your a woman after my own heart a nice coffee and a ciggy I sit and have one outside whatever the weather !!! Naughty I know but what the hell if I didn't have my little sticks of me time I think I'd be up for murder lol hope your day goes well Ann and your mum behaves herself I love your posts although I don't know how you and your family cope sometimes my situation is not half as bad as yours yet take care love Annie xxx

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning :)

1954, I would honestly let your Mil sleep on those days - Mil has done that once or twice, slept 18 hours, got up at 4 or half past, then back to bed at 10. There have been no 'ill effects' (in other words, we didn't get a bad night, the next night) and when I asked the CPN her response was that if it doesn't hurt her and doesnt cause any problems, then just enjoy the break!

Summerheather, its not just feeling 'normal' I reckon - I honestly think reading stuff that lets you know that others are experiencing the same can actually lessen the feeling of isolation. Too easy to lose touch with friends and miss out on previously regular activities, because of lack of time and energy and anyway, unless they are in the same boat, often friends just don't 'get' what we experience. To 'talk' on TP with others who know where you are coming from is a massive help!

Isn't it odd, Beate and Hair Twiddler, how (pre-dementia) most of us would have really looked forward to the weekend, and now its the hardest part of the week for us? :( Hair Twiddler, I could switch Mils day care to a Saturday or Sunday, but logistically it causes problems - Saturday is the best day, in terms of convenience for Mils friends, for her to visit them, so that's out - the Sunday's OH works he tends to use the car, rather than cycle, especially if the weather is bad, and there is no mini bus transport at the weekend, so I would need the car to take her to and from day care. But maybe when the better weather arrives it would be worth considering? . However, I wonder if the only difference that will make is that we then get a hard day on whichever weekeday she then stays home for?

Grace, I think your a bloomin' saint putting up with that - and I totally get what you mean about what choice do you have. If it was JUST me dealing with Mil, totally solo all the time she is with me, I suspect I'd be doing very similar, for the sake of peace. I find myself doing a lot of odd and accommodating things for Mils sake as it is, and that's with me having a lot of support. Isn't that lack of 'connecting the dots', her clearly thinking you a small child yet not surprised that you've cooked a meal, so hard to get your head round? We get it on a 'smaller' scale - Mil will ask where she is, and I'll tell her she is in her son's house. She'll follow that up with how long has she been here, (18 months), who brought her here (her son), is it her sons house (yes) and does she live here now (YES!) - then will ask straight away if her son knows that she lives here now. I find myself wanting to reply that being as she's been here for 18 months, I suspect he will have noticed by now . . . how can she not make that connection herself?

Glad you had a good night, Annie - though I know what you mean about the thought of Mum always hovering. My ciggies are a good excuse for the odd 3 minute break - though she will try to follow me outside, I remind her about her 'bad chest' and tell her she mustn't, and sometimes that 3 minutes saves my sanity, on a bad day!

Yesterday was another day in the Twilight zone, in terms of Mils delusions and behaviour. She eventually got up, and same as the day before, clean top, everything else dirty and not smelling too fresh. Very matter of fact and cheery, I sugested she come upstairs for a bath, and got blasted with a pile of verbal abuse - she had bathed, she wanted breakfast (would have been her second one) and I was told I could just '**** off and get it ready'. I stayed firm (she REALLY needed a bath) and eventually she gave in. Back downstairs and She continued to 'channel' Joan Rivers all day, constantly wanting to talk and go over and over and over why she was here, how long she has been here, what can she do about it, isn't it all awful, with the usual accompaniment of tears and sobs and wringing of hands. When she wasn't being Joan Rivers, she was being ET (home, home, home) and there were definitely a lot of times where she was like a naughty kid, very provocative and seeming to want confrontation. She looked for missing kids, dogs, knitting, boxes of cakes, the red suitcase belonging to the woman, the man who brought her here and the 'baby food' she had put in the kitchen' throughout the day. We had maybe a dozen instances where we went down the 'we are not going to discus this now' route and she responded with if we wouldn't talk about what she wanted, she was going home - coat and shoes on, rattling at front door, insults flying at us, the works. Eventually she would calm a little (we would think) take her coat off and sit - then, 'What time is it Ann?' - I'd reply and she would say 'My Goodness - is it that late - you had better take me home now' :rolleyes: Or she would suddenly launch into how her nephew had phoned her and they had had a good chat (none of that being true) and she had agreed to go over to stay with them in Limerick - so could we take her home now to pack? It was absolutely non-stop and extremely wearying all day long. Even when oldest daughter was leaving for the train station with her Dad, Mil was more concerned about badgering him to give her a lift home, than she was about saying goodbye to her granddaughter. Son had had to leave early in the morning, as he had some group work he had to be involved with in the afternoon at uni, and left whilst Mil was still in bed - never once during the day did she ask where he was or notice he had gone!

Thank God its back to day care today!

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi, hate to say but we had pretty good weekend. OH slept about 17 hrs Saturday night, got up so late I got him to have breakfast before his shower. He spent the pm happily watching rugby. Pity about the result! Kept saying it's a nasty, rough game isn't it? Only once was I tempted to reply, you used to play it! But he couldn't remember!
Frost last night, sun now, echocardiogram today and I'm running late already .
See you all this evening!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hi, hate to say but we had pretty good weekend. OH slept about 17 hrs Saturday night, got up so late I got him to have breakfast before his shower. He spent the pm happily watching rugby. Pity about the result! Kept saying it's a nasty, rough game isn't it? Only once was I tempted to reply, you used to play it! But he couldn't remember!
Frost last night, sun now, echocardiogram today and I'm running late already .
See you all this evening!

Glad you had a good weekend, Spammar - wish Mil would sleep 17 hours at the weekend, lol! It always tickles me when Mil makes a derogatory comment about things that she used to do/still does herself - she frequently complains that one old neighbour of hers, who she see's every couple of weeks, does 'nothing but talk about herself and her problems' . . . Er, pot, kettle, black?

Good luck with the echocardiagram - let us know how you get on xxxx

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Grace, I think your a bloomin' saint putting up with that - and I totally get what you mean about what choice do you have. If it was JUST me dealing with Mil, totally solo all the time she is with me, I suspect I'd be doing very similar, for the sake of peace. I find myself doing a lot of odd and accommodating things for Mils sake as it is, and that's with me having a lot of support. Isn't that lack of 'connecting the dots', her clearly thinking you a small child yet not surprised that you've cooked a meal, so hard to get your head round? We get it on a 'smaller' scale - Mil will ask where she is, and I'll tell her she is in her son's house. She'll follow that up with how long has she been here, (18 months), who brought her here (her son), is it her sons house (yes) and does she live here now (YES!) - then will ask straight away if her son knows that she lives here now. I find myself wanting to reply that being as she's been here for 18 months, I suspect he will have noticed by now . . . how can she not make that connection herself?

My father had forgotten my half-sister (his step-daughter). She came to visit him a couple of months ago with me and he recognised her but when someone asked who she was he said 'a family friend.' Now he obviously knew that was wrong because he then checked with me. We then got (for weeks) - 'I never knew I had a step-daughter; I've got to welcome her to the family!' - which then mutated into, 'It was kept a secret from me.' I let the first pass but the second is straying into paranoia-towards-family territory and I always challenge those as calmly as I can. So I asked him if he remembered his late stepson. 'Yes.' 'And you know he was your stepson?' 'Yes.' 'So why would anyone keep your stepdaughter secret when you were told about your stepson?' And he accepted that. 'Oh yes,' he said in a small voice.
So what he is able to accept and what he won't accept is piecemeal and surprising.

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
I thought I knew what to expect

I thought I knew what to expect with MiL's Alz diagnosis, having looked after my husband with VaD.

Some of MiLs Alz traits and behaviour , I think are similar, but while husband had the diagnosis of VaD,
some people thought it might be Lewy, or Picks... MiL is very different... so unexpected.

I had my husband not know who I was (later stages), and I know he did not always recognise his nieces and nephews (not that we saw them, as they became invisible)... or not always recognise his brothers and sisters...

MiL's thinking I am a child .... well.... I just don't know what to do, or what to expect next....:(

I don't get, how MiL has seen me prepare and cook a Sunday roast .... but at the point of serving and eating, she thinks I am a child who needs to be told what to do... and what to eat.... and how to behave.

BTW... I've tried putting more food on my plate, only to have her take it off, at which point she gets really ...
I mean REALLY cross at me.... Face changes colour cross...
Soooo, well.... what choice do I have? Its easier for me and her, if I do as I am told (when it comes to eating).
An hour or so later, MiL leaves to go home, and if she thinks I am a child, you wouldn't leave me on my own.... would you?

Yes, I am petite (not 8 year old petite), and slim (but not 8 year old), but who am I to MiL?
I call her 'M' (her name), and she does not tell me off, as you might if I was a cheeky child calling Granny
by her first name...
I don't understand how MiL can one minute talk to me 'normally', but the next ....talk to me like I am the most annoying, rude child that ever lived..... I don't get it?

It's not every single cooked type meal, but as she has done this behaviour so often, it makes me on edge all the time, and I have come to expect 'problems' when I am serving food to myself and MiL.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
What a weird and whacky world we find ourselves in...Makes me think of Lewis Carroll. white rabbits running around worrying about being late, caterpillars sitting on giant toadstools smoking, playing cards painting the roses, moving round the table at teatime and stuffing a dormouse into a teapot...I expect we would be unsurprised by any of these fantasies...

We were puzz.led for most of the night by a chinaman who was hiding somewhere in the house, and all the other residents had disappeared. In fact the two of us live alone.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi folks, back again, still in one piece and not sent to hospital! Not much up then. Do I have a history of asthma? Well, no. So maybe that's the answer.
When I can get me hold of the surgery, I will book an appt. apparently they should have the results in two days, rather than the two weeks the surgery quoted. At thus rate I shall be still phoning the surgery in two weeks!
My stepdaughter came up and we had a good chat over a coffee at the convenient, next door to the surgery where I had to go ( not usual surgery), garden centre. Sorry, bit convoluted!
Just thinking, what did we do before garden centres had cafés?
OH just home and all seems well. Good.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning :)

Redlou, very, very occasionally we can break things down in the manner you describe, and Mil will get 'it' - once or twice, when she has started on about the 'babby' she is convinced she should be looking after, I've been able to go through a sort of list of questions like whats the 'Mum's' name, where doen Mil know her from, where does she live, how does Mil contact her - invariably Mil doesn't know the answer to any of these things and on a couple of occasions even she has seen that it just isn't likely that some woman she knows nothing about would just hand over a babby for Mil to care for, and Mil herself will come to the conclusion that she is 'daydreaming'. But its very rare she can process the information like that - and it sadly doesn't seem to stop her having the same delusion as little as an hour later :(

As RegeddyAnne says, Grace - its just complete topsy turvey madness, trying to fathom out the contradictory reasoning. I find myself hitting a sort of wall in my brain sometimes, where I can't get passed my own reaction of how, in the face of all logic, can she possibly believe/think THAT! There is just no sense to your Mil being able to regard you as a child yet find it OK that you cook or can be left alone, anymore than there is any sense to the chinaman in RageddyAnnes house - its frustrating and I think it often leaves me wondering, especially when Mil is so convinced and so convincing, is it me who is slowly going mad?

Sorry you didn't get a definitive answer at the hospital, Spamar - and I hope it doesn't take you long to get a GP appointment so you can get the results. I love browsing in a garden centre then sitting with a coffee in the cafe, gloating over whatever I've bought, lol.

Well - a really good night with Mil, last night - when she first came home, she was wanting to discus 'handing in her notice' at the canteen where she was convinced she worked (and had gone through a similar conversation in the car with OH, only with him, she thought she worked in a hospital!) but easy enough to distract and so quiet for the rest of the night it felt really strange - nice, but strange!

However, we had one heck of a body blow yesterday, and I am still seething :(

For months we have been encouraged, by SW and CPN to organise weekend or week respites for Mil, so we can have a break. We've hit the stage where we think Mil might now be able to accept this with hopefully not too much fall out, and also where its becoming a necessity if we have any particular event on - graduation for oldest, youngest having a big show to do, etc. So, last week I spoke to day care - they and their sister home, I'd been told, will offer respite - only to be told that they no longer have a respite bed :( Oh, if they happen to have a vacant bed at any particular time we need it, Mil can have it - but we can't book in advance or rely on there being an empty room for a specific date we need. I was gutted, because I know and feel I can trust them with Mil, but reluctantly accepted we would have to look at somewhere else.

So yesterday, I finally spoke to Mils' CPN, who is our 'go to' first stop person for when we need to sort stuff out - and guess what? There is not one , solitary care/nursing home in the county that has a respite bed where you can book a break for a set date. The LA used to 'comission' a bed/room in various private homes, and they offered respite in the one LA run home that existed - but they have stopped the commission and are closing that last home down for good. So, with no 'commission' in place, every single home has now done away with offering a bookable room for respite care, because of course, they say they can't afford to have a room left empty on the basis that someone might book it. You can get respite in a 'crisis', at the very last minute, only - IF any of the homes happen to have a spare room, but there is no choice, no advance planning and if everywhere is full - well, tough, basically. I asked about the neighbouring county, where Mil used to live - was there anything stopping us looking there (as Mil will self fund) - nothing legally stopping us, apparently - but it won't happen because the LA there have done exactly the same as the LA here - you cannot book a block (or even one night) of respite in advance.

I felt positively sick as she told me all this and very incredulous - how can an LA anywhere simply withdraw all respite facilities like this? This means that none of the hundreds (maybe thousands) of carer's over two counties can have any sort break, unless they are at crisis (and maybe not even then) - so forget booking a holiday or travelling to a family wedding or doing absolutely anything where you simply can't take your loved one with you. And what if a solo carer has to go into hospital for an op or treatment, for example?

On a personal level, we are now stymied - there is as it stands, absolutely not a chance in hell that we can have a regular, overnight break - let alone the odd week of respite. We can pay for a carer to come into our home - at around £13 to £17 an HOUR - but of course, that means we have to go stay somewhere else, forget having a break in our own home - never mind that it also increases the cost massively from the average £70 that a 24 hour stay in a home costs.

And I'm furious that I knew nothing about this - I don't know when it all changed, but as far as we were aware, up until the phone call yesterday, I had no idea that this was now the situation. So many times we have been advised to sort out respite, to have a break, told that we will need to start doing it eventually or we will 'crash', told that if we want to sustain looking after Mil in our home we have to accept that we will need these breaks, been assured that its not only good for us but for Mil too, in the long term - and now its suddenly forget it - you can't have, no one can.

I have been awake half the night wondering what the heck we are going to do in May, when Daughter has her next show - I guess we will have to try and organise a carer coming in for the 4 or 5 hours that evening whilst we are out, and just accept that this will be far harder for Mil and cause more problems. Because of course Mil will feel 'left out' if we all trot off out - we are certain to get the tears and the pleas and the lingering anger afterwards. And she'll be furious at the idea of a carer coming in, because she is perfectly capable of staying by herself (she thinks) - not to mention that the 4 or 5 hours here will cost her as much as an overnight stay would. It means relying on a complete stranger to provide care, someone who doesn't know her and someone we don't know being left in OUR home - unless of course, she or we also pays for a couple of introductory sessions in advance.

I just feel completely defeated and fed up :(

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Anne that is awful.

Could you start introducing a carer once a week for a couple of hours to get your MIL used to them being around? That way you & OH could go to the cinema or for a meal.
By May your MIL will hopefully be used to them coming.

Liz57

Dec 22, 2013
Oh Ann, I'm probably going to be in a similar spot later this summer and it's simply not right. I've started to investigate care homes (mum will be self funding) and have explained when I visit that I'm looking for respite for a few days or a week or so in the summer but with a view to a permanent arrangement. Even for a self funder, the homes are not guaranteeing any dates for the reason you've discovered and I'm worrying about how I'm supposed to continue to manage looking after her on my own too.

My daughter is at university and when I took her there last summer, Mum was not great but OK I thought for a couple of days without me. Even though mum was able to at least prepare a simple meal for herself and could pretty much manage during the day it wasn't great and it was clear this wasn't an option in future. Six months later and we're in a different ball game with mum struggling to make a cup of tea for herself, I've had to give up my full time work for part time work and even then she's on the phone every 20 minutes or so totally confused, upset and lonely. There's no way she can be left for the 48 hours I will need to get my daughter and her belongings home for the summer so I was pretty much relying on being able to get mum into respite. Even mum seemed up for it when we've discussed it although she's claimed she can stay with her sister (who died 40 years ago!).

I've said before, there are so many promises and apparent "support" claimed by politicians but in reality, there's absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ozziegirl