So bizarre !

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Well, the dinner went as well as could be expected. OH ate loads of crispy things, small main, loads of pudding (trifle) and managed to stay up until 16:00, which is pretty good for him. So reasonably pleased. Nice to see friends and catch up.

I also enjoy reading your posts, Ann, keep it up. It's always interesting to see similarities and differences between your mil and OH. I have written things down for many years, it's a kind of release, I think. You worry about something, but once it's down, either all becomes clear or you feel as if it's there anytime you want to see it, so one can forget it! Aldo handy if you've forgotten exactly when things have happened.
Raining at moment, but promised to clear later. Respite carer hopefully coming to be with OH, they usually go for coffee and cake now he can no longer walk very far.

Last edited:

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Glad yesterday went well for you, Spamar - as yousay, its nice to be able to catch up with friends - especially when you get the chance to do it without any drama's :)

I agree, the writing things down is a great form of release - its often as I'm writing that I can (finally) see either that something is really no big deal in the grand scheme, or the humour of it strikes me and I can then deal with everything better :)

Hoping the humour striking will hit now, after the morning I've had with Mil !!!

OH has managed to strain/damage his arm - nothing serious, but cycling is out for the next few days whilst he recovers. So, as I have to have the car today and he is working, its meant me driving him in, which in turn means that I have to take Mil with us and we won't be back in time for the mini bus to take her for day care, so I also have to drive her in. It also means getting Mil up about 15 minutes early, and hoping she doesn't have a go slow morning, as we would have to leave around 25 minutes earlier than she would normally have to be ready by.

And wouldn't you think I'd have learned by now that when time is of the essence in getting Mil ready for anything, then the stupidest thing I can possibly do is let her know that I need her to hurry up :rolleyes:

Like a fool, I chivvied her out of bed, all bright and chirpy, asking her to 'Get a wriggle on, love' and explaining that we had to run OH in to work. Instant response from her was 'And what's that got to do with me?'. So - deep breath time - I explained, still smiling, put my arm around her shoulder and gave her a quick hug, saying 'So we need to hurry, love - he can't be late'. She shrugged off my arm and told me 'Well, its not my problem!'

Washing her and her hair took ages - FOUR times she announced mid-process that she needed the loo and I had to go wait outside the bathroom for her before we could continue. I stayed nice, got her into her bedroom, helped her on with her bra and tried to entice her to get dressed quickly by tempting her with brekkie.

New world record - fourty two chuffing minutes for her to put on a pair of socks, knickers, trousers and jumper and get downstairs :mad:

Foul mood when she did finally sit herself for brekkie, forget any mention of please or thank you - all I got off her was that her porridge was too hot, did I ever put the heating on in this house and by the way, was I going to give her any toast or not? When I put the toast in front of her, she never even looked up so I very sarcastically said 'You're Welcome' - and got told to 'get stuffed' :eek: She then slumped in the chair whilst I tried to dry and style her hair - I had to give up, as with her chin on her chest, there was a good chance she would have ended up with curly ears instead of hair - which of course, gave her more reasons to complain because she 'needs' her hair to look nice. And then Poor OH stepped into her firing line, and she gave him some grief as he tried to grab a coffee and get ready himself.

By the time Oh called her to come and get in the car, she was 'not talking' to him, so ignored him and I had to ask her - she told me she would 'rather walk' - at which point compasionate communication did a bunk, and I told her I would rather she walked as well, however as that wasn't possible she had better get her bum to the car - NOW :eek:

On the plus side, she wasn't talking to me then either, so the 45 minutes running OH in and her to day care was at least nice a quiet - but heaven help us all if she is in a similar mood tonight!

Last edited:

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
I wonder if you could hire out MIL for training Professional Carers in the finer points of Compassionate Communication. But I expect she'd be as good as gold for them!

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Here's the odd thing - if it were one of the kids playing up, we'd be able to yell, 'Get your bum in the car now!" without feeling remotely guilty or going over it again and again afterwards. But I suppose that's because a kid would come home cheerful, having forgotten all about it, whereas someone with a failing memory somehow manages to hang onto a 'martyr mood' for 24 hours.
Bizarre or what?

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Ann, I know just what you mean about never learning not to mention you are in a hurry. Like you I try to appeal to my husband's better nature (convinced it's in there still) but it only seems to make him more obstructive.
" Shhh! Careless talk costs hours! " should be our mantra....

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Oh oh, yes, OHs record is FOUR HOURS to get dressed, like mil, kept wanting the loo!

New one today which I dint think I've ever seen mentioned. Respite carer, the bloke whose good at ironing, came and I went off to a meeting and OH went out with carer. I came back they were still out. So far, so good.
I heard the car come back,then carer walks in saying he refuses it get out of the car! Oh, and by the way, these were in his pocket - pkt of dark chocolate digestives! I don't buy dark, only milk ( except when I get it wrong!).
We put that problem to one side and concentrated on the more serious one, getting him out of the car. No, he doesnt want to go in that house, he will stay here, and go somewhere else. I pointed out that carer wanted the car for a job this pm, that he couldn't drive him anywhere else, that it would be sorted once he was indoors. Finally decided that carer had to have car back, but he would stay in the porch while we did paperwork. He didn't want to come further.
Compassionate commucation at it's best! Plus a few Alzheimer's lies!
Signed paperwork, chatted, went out to OH and he was then happy to come in and have dinner. He then went straight to bed. There certainly are times when someone who goes to bed early and hopefully stays there is a blessing.

We think he must have picked up the biscuits as they walked through co-.., unless he won them at daycare, will check tomorrow.
Going to be awkward if he's like that when he gets off bus tomorrow.
That care home is looming ever closer!

Now shattered and I'm not sure this is not good for my heart!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Forgot to say, OHs walking and general demeanour was so bad first thing and then didn't want a shower. He normally loves a shower, but I didn't think he was up to it, so no shower. That's another first!

Summerheather

Feb 22, 2015
Can I say I love all your posts.

Unless you live with someone with Alzheimer's or care for someone, it's hard to explain how bizarre life can get. When I read your comments they make me feel normal.

At the moment my Mum thinks I'm stealing her steradent for her false teeth.

I don't have false teeth.

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
My mum went through a period of accusing me and my sons of stealing her false teeth. We all have our own (real) teeth. But there was no convincing her.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH gets toothpaste, mouthwash, tooth sticky and hair cream muddled up. No, I don't know how, either! Keeps me on the ball when he's washing! Actually I have now started to put paste on brush, which eliminates some of it!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Oh yes, OH always "acquires" things at the Day Centre. It's fun emptying his pockets in the evening!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all :)

I wonder if you could hire out MIL for training Professional Carers in the finer points of Compassionate Communication. But I expect she'd be as good as gold for them!

lol - Initially all the carers at both the day care places she has gone too started off full of how wonderful she is, and how sweet, how little trouble she is and how they all love her - about 3 months in, in both places, they started to make comments like 'She's a bit of a handful, isn't she?' and 'She can be very stubborn, can't she' and 'She can have a bit of a sharp tongue, can't she?' :D

Here's the odd thing - if it were one of the kids playing up, we'd be able to yell, 'Get your bum in the car now!" without feeling remotely guilty or going over it again and again afterwards. But I suppose that's because a kid would come home cheerful, having forgotten all about it, whereas someone with a failing memory somehow manages to hang onto a 'martyr mood' for 24 hours.
Bizarre or what?

Very bizarre - I suppose its the being able to remember and sustain emotions, whilst forgetting the details of what made them cross or upset. What gets me is that Mil can maybe forget why she is upset - but she often remembers who she is upset with :confused:

You know, Sleepless, that's a mistake I often make - Mil used to be (pre-dementia) so considerate of others that I still think that if I 'appeal to her better nature' I'll get a result - instead, as you have said, it often makes her worse :(

Boy - that must have been difficult to cope with, Spamar - I've had issues with actually getting Mil into the car, when we have had to go somewhere that isn't specifically for her benefit, because she will annouce she can 'just stay here' - and no way can I leave her alone at home or even just at home with my youngest. On those occasions, I've always ended up having to be really firm and telling her she is 'being sefish' and even shouting to get her moving. I haven't a clue how I'd handle her refusing to get out of the car or refusing to go into the house :confused:

The 'unexpected items' found in pockets - or more likely, her handbag - well, yep that's very familiar - last time it was a selection of M&S toiletries, plus a large bag of mini chocolate cream eggs. Day care said that they think she had 'won' a small prize in a raffle they had (though no one could remember exactly what she had won), but they couldn't account for where she had got the rest of the stuff from :rolleyes: As Beate says - its fun emptying pockets (and bags) in the evening!

Lol Summerheather and Delphie - the other day was the first time she has gone so far as claiming someone has nicked her teeth - we have had a few occasions now when she has been cleaning hers and she has been amazed to discover that her gnashers actually come out to be scrubbed! How can someone forget that they have false teeth??? I have to put paste on the brush, too Spamar - and fixative is now kept on a high shelf in the bathroom, out of her eyeline, as she has got mixed up with that and paste before now!

Well, yesterday evening was a doozy - OH picked her up, and she came flying through the door full of some 'great news' - she's got a job! Cleaning, in the hospital, apparently. OH said she was regaling one of the cooks at day care and a carer with this information when he collected her and kept up talking about it all the way home, too. We had over an hour of it, with it gradually changing from being good news to her thinking she had made a mistake 'taking on a job like that', and she swithered between the two viewpoints, then into accusing us of 'clearly' not being pleased with her (?). We stayed very non-committal, kept saying 'Well, its your choice', and 'If your happy with it, so are we' - you could see she was working herself up into a real tizz, but it was hard to know what to say. Then that was forgotten as she suddenly demanded to know why we were 'not talking' to her - I was busy cooking tea, OH was on the pc and it seemed that one of us at least was expected to sit with her whilst she watched tv, from what she said. We apologised, explained we were busy - not good enough, according to Mil :( She very clearly said that one of us 'at least' should be sat with her in case she 'feels like talking' - she could see nothing strange or unreasonable about this demand, the fact that we were both busy doing something else was not a good enough reason and we were 'very rude' not to be sitting with her 'keeping her company' :(

She didn't get her own way - OH had stuff to sort, I was cooking - so this then led to constant references to going home for the rest of the evening - interpersed with her looking for the 'baby food' for the babby she was looking after for the lady, or looking for the babby itself, getting quite worked up about it. Nothing we said could calm or placate her, and at 9 on the dot I simply said 'Right - time for your tablets and bed' - thank goodness she went! There was that 'manic' air about her, from when she came in from day care - fixed face, rapid speech, the saying one thing then following it up with something that was completely contradictory and again, I felt that intially at least, the 'home' business was quite a deliberate attempt to goad both me and OH - you know how a child might tell you 'I'll scream if I don't get my own way'? - it was honestly very much a case of 'I'll pester you about going home if you won't do what I want'. Which indicates that she remembers that this has been an issue before and that she also is astute enough, some of the time at least, to also remember that its a subject that can and has caused arguments - again, she knows what buttons to push. I just don't get her level of awareness on that issue, when at the same time, she is convinced that she has been given charge of a baby that doesn't exist!

This morning still quite a 'manic' air about her, fussing over the weather, over her getting wet at the bus stop, up and down loking for the 'case for work', the 'book for that nurse' and sundry other non-existant items. OH has had to take the car today - aside from the injured arm, it is rainging cats and dogs - so Day care mini bus is bringing her home, which means she will be back sortly after 3pm. Hoping she will be calmer then, as OH isn't home till around 9pm, and it could be a very long evening if she isn't in a better mood :(

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
Morning :)

Fingers crossed for you after 3 o'clock.

I predict that I'll be in major trouble today. It's raining so no trips out today (apart from I'll walk the dog). So I'm intending to sit with mum with my laptop on my lap (Oh! bad sentence - whatever) when mum is watching JK, Rob Rinder (I do have a soft spot for this programme - dare I admit), Good Morning with Eamon & his nice smiley wife.
laptop tapping & reading never goes down well, two of the many activities not approved of.
Oh well, hey ho.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Found out that he did actually win the biscuits, bet that was fixed, they're his favourites.
However also found out that he's been difficult to get into the bus to come home for the last couple of weeks. Obviously doesn't want to come home.
Any ideas, anybody? I can't see us going out for coffee and cake at weekend either if he extends it to my car! Like Ann's mil, he can't be left anywhere alone, so it could be a traumatic weekend!
Oh well, brave the rain and head for supermarket.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Got fingers crossed that the prediction for it being a bad day was wrong Hair Twiddler - its only really ever a Sunday when Mil doesn't go somewhere and I know that day is most likely to be the day when she gets agitated. But I don't think its unreasonable to have one day when we don't have to drive her somewhere, pick her up from somewhere, or devote most of the day to entertaining her, surely!

Spamar, the only way I can get round this when Mil decides she isn't going to et in the car is to get really firm with her - I basically order her to do as I ask. The issue there of course is that then puts her in a foul mood and we suffer the consequenses later :(

The mini bus delivered Mil home and she is bouncing from one delusion to another - not a good sign, and already I'm running out of steam and shattered with dealing with it. Constant talking, not really taking in much of what I'm saying so its hard to calm her or reassure her. Hoping she will calm soon, but suspect am in for a long night ahead :(

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
HANG IN THERE ANN MAC! THINKING OF YOU HERE.

I get the " What are you doing that's so important? Why can't you just come and watch TV with me?" stuff too. ( well, actually, darling, I'm making us a nice supper). The response to this is "Well, I can wait. Just come and watch this"

One day I told him I had to cook supper " because it's Mary Jane's evening off", and for some reason he understood it was a joke and went along with it! It's worked a few times since too.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
HANG IN THERE ANN MAC! THINKING OF YOU HERE.

I get the " What are you doing that's so important? Why can't you just come and watch TV with me?" stuff too. ( well, actually, darling, I'm making us a nice supper). The response to this is "Well, I can wait. Just come and watch this"

One day I told him I had to cook supper " because it's Mary Jane's evening off", and for some reason he understood it was a joke and went along with it! It's worked a few times since too.

Bless you, Anne - it ain't easy, is it ? Amazing how the humour can suddenly kick in at the oddest times.

Slowly hitting screaming point here - she is currently swinging between can she phone her brother because 'the lads' have told her he is ill (I don't have a problem with her phoning her brother, every time she asks I sort it - but I can't whilst she is as 'away with the fairies' as she is at the moment - he is 80 and I think in the early stages of dementia too - what if she upsets him?) and a sudden request that I phone the 'people in charge' so she can find out how she goes about adopting a child :confused: The mind boggles.

And Oh dear - we have suddnely started with am I sure that youngest is my daughter - because Mil is convinced that she is her brothers 'granddaughter' - and nothing to do with me at all :(

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Don't know what he was like getting the bus, but he's barely spoken since he's been home! Wrapped in a blanket of ice!
Oh, Ann, how do you cope? Like Anne said, hang in there!
I know all about the adoption bit. If he could compare the differences in adoption procedures in the 1960s ( when he did adopt) as opposed to now.......

Last edited:

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Oh MG!

How about BROTHER TOO POORLY TO TALK NOW, DOCTOR SAYS HE MUST REST.

And ALL THE CHILDREN HAVE BEEN ADOPTED. THERE ARENT ANY NEEDING A HOME AT PRESENT.

LOOKING AFTER BROTHER'S LITTLE GIRL FOR HIM?

ALL I'm getting is "where did all those dogs go? ". Easy, they went home.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
At least I have daughter, and often, OH here to talk to if Mil goes silent, Spamar - not that that happens much!

Told her I can't find her brothers number, she will have to wait for OH to come home - which seems to have settled her for now on that one, Anne - and I also don't have the number of the adoption people, and I've suggested she ask them in work tomorrow if they know. The looking after brothers little girl won't work - if we go along with that, she will (from past experience) get cross if daughter calls me Mum - so thats a 'Sorry, you are wrong, its my daughter' response - she's currently off that subject (for now!) and is looking for the cakes she put down 'over there' before she had her tea.

I'm glad your OH has accepted that the dogs have gone home - I wonder if Mil will accept that the two (real) dogs here have eaten the blessed cakes !