So bizarre !

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Good morning all.
Good news, OH was fine at daycare, got into bus to come home with no problem, came into house and was OK all evening. What a relief! Let's hope that phase has passed.
The bad news is that I had 'a turn' with laboured breathing all pm, pain etc, so spent much of it sitting down. Tried to get gp appt but, as we all know, it's a nightmare! Will last out til Monday am, when it's echocardiogram time. Stepdaughter is joining me and we hope to lunch at the next door garden centre.
It was such nice weather yesterday that I planned a little gentle gardening, maybe sort the herbs. Best laid plans, as they say,
Have a good weekend, everybody!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Well, the delusions continued right up to bedtime on Thursday night, without a break:( We had strange children disappearing and causing her worry, we had her panicking about the shopping she had bought for 'the woman' that she now couldn't find and Lord knows how many other situations and items that she fretted herself about.

Yesterday morning, she was - well - 'sullen' is the best work I can come up with, I'm afraid. Face like a 'smacked bum', lots of sighs and glares at me and OH - no idea why :rolleyes: Now and again she gets into this routine of asking one of us 2 or 3 questions, and as soon as we have answered, she will turn to someone else and repeat the exact same questions - OH answered her, telling her where she was going, then what time the bus was coming and she immediately turned to me with exactly the same questions. This happened over and over, yesterday morning and eventually OH said to her 'Mum what have I just told you?' She repeated his answers back to him. 'Then why are you asking Ann the same thing again?'. She told him it was because she didn't think he was telling her the truth! Its a really irritating habit and one I think is at least partly, if not completely, a deliberate attempt to wind people up.

The older two came home from Uni for the weekend, in the afternoon, and son went with OH to pick her up from daycare. Have to say, son's eyes were just a tad glazed over when they got back, as Mil had been convinced she had to get organised for her starting uni on the way home and I think his head was just a bit battered from the non stop convoluted fretting/talking she bashed his ears with during the car journey. She seemed thrilled to see oldest daughter too - and both oldest and I were treated to a fairly detailed account of the 'Sports day' that had been held at day care that day, when Mil was asked how her day had been - she said she didn't do the long jump or triple jump, but she did do all the races including the relay!

The rest of the evening was a repeat of the previous two nights - I honestly don't think that anything she said (apart from her mentioning that she enjoyed her tea!) had anything to do with reality at all. A while after tea she started on about the 'babby'/'little girl' - and it morphed again into her being firmly convinced that our youngest daughter was NOT our daughter, but the daughter of one of Mils relatives (in Ireland) that Mil was looking after. She insisted that daughter's surname was the same as her maiden name and that she (Mil) had brought her here just for a visit. Now, we could go along with it going that far, but this is the maybe the 3rd time that we have seen this particular delusion evolve into a sort of sundowning with Mil :( She starts to get very bossy with daughter, tells her off if she calls us 'Mum or Dad' , corrects OH or I if we ask the kid to do something and it just generally goes too far - a few weeks ago she got in a furious mood because she was demanding that youngest came and slept in her room and we obviously said no. So, this is one of the situations where we eventually HAVE to simply say enough and tell her to stop. We started off trying to distract, but it didn't work , so into telling her she was 'mistaken (that stopped it dead the night before - but not last night!). She was ordering Daughter to bed 'NOW' as they would have a long journey 'home' in the morning, correcting myself and OH for talking 'to the child as if she was yours' and generally getting more and more OTT :( OH told her firmly to stop, that she was getting mixed up, that youngest WAS our daughter and that Mil was to stop ordering her round. No joy - straight into ranting accusations of kidnapping, threats to phone the police and the ' we are not going to discus it' didn't work as she simply continued to mutter comments and to order daughter to bed. At one stage she stood up and made as if to go towards daughter, intending I think, to frog march her upstairs :eek:. I had been looking forward to an evening of catch up with my oldest two, not another evening of the 'Mil and the Mad reality show' so I admit I lost patience at this point - and we were back in the stupidly vicious circle of arguing, which I am absolutely convinced is exactly what she wants on some level at least when she 'sundowns' - she needs the confrontation, maybe as an 'outlet' for her frustration? It ended with OH offering her bedtime meds - which she leapt at - and after she had them, as she opened the door to the hall & stairs, she again turned to youngest and started issuing orders for her to 'come to bed now', saying that she 'didn't care' what 'they' said (presumably OH and self) she was taking her 'home in the morning. I really shouted at her, telling her to go to bed now and back off from MY daughter - she went, but jeeze, you could hear her chunnering on every step of the way!

OH then came and sat down and informed me he didn't think shouting 'helped' - so he got both barrels too :( Especially as he had also raised his voice more than a couple of times to her during the latter part of the evening! And I know shouting makes no difference, but you know what - I think its OK for me to sometimes get fed up of not only being frequently accused of stealing 'someone elses husband' - but also of 'stealing' other people's kids too!

I hope - for all our sakes - that she calms down today - I really don't want this weekend spoiled as this is probably the last time till Easter that both son and oldest daughter will be able to get home at the same time.

Last edited:

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Good morning all.
Good news, OH was fine at daycare, got into bus to come home with no problem, came into house and was OK all evening. What a relief! Let's hope that phase has passed.
The bad news is that I had 'a turn' with laboured breathing all pm, pain etc, so spent much of it sitting down. Tried to get gp appt but, as we all know, it's a nightmare! Will last out til Monday am, when it's echocardiogram time. Stepdaughter is joining me and we hope to lunch at the next door garden centre.
It was such nice weather yesterday that I planned a little gentle gardening, maybe sort the herbs. Best laid plans, as they say,
Have a good weekend, everybody!

Crossed posts and missed this Spamar - sorry x

Glad you had a good evening, Hun, but sorry to read about the breathing - please if it gets worse, demand an emergency appointment - you have enough to contend with, without dealing with uncomfortable health issues too xxxx

Anniebell

Jan 31, 2015
Well, the delusions continued right up to bedtime on Thursday night, without a break:( We had strange children disappearing and causing her worry, we had her panicking about the shopping she had bought for 'the woman' that she now couldn't find and Lord knows how many other situations and items that she fretted herself about.

Yesterday morning, she was - well - 'sullen' is the best work I can come up with, I'm afraid. Face like a 'smacked bum', lots of sighs and glares at me and OH - no idea why :rolleyes: Now and again she gets into this routine of asking one of us 2 or 3 questions, and as soon as we have answered, she will turn to someone else and repeat the exact same questions - OH answered her, telling her where she was going, then what time the bus was coming and she immediately turned to me with exactly the same questions. This happened over and over, yesterday morning and eventually OH said to her 'Mum what have I just told you?' She repeated his answers back to him. 'Then why are you asking Ann the same thing again?'. She told him it was because she didn't think he was telling her the truth! Its a really irritating habit and one I think is at least partly, if not completely, a deliberate attempt to wind people up.

The older two came home from Uni for the weekend, in the afternoon, and son went with OH to pick her up from daycare. Have to say, son's eyes were just a tad glazed over when they got back, as Mil had been convinced she had to get organised for her starting uni on the way home and I think his head was just a bit battered from the non stop convoluted fretting/talking she bashed his ears with during the car journey. She seemed thrilled to see oldest daughter too - and both oldest and I were treated to a fairly detailed account of the 'Sports day' that had been held at day care that day, when Mil was asked how her day had been - she said she didn't do the long jump or triple jump, but she did do all the races including the relay!

The rest of the evening was a repeat of the previous two nights - I honestly don't think that anything she said (apart from her mentioning that she enjoyed her tea!) had anything to do with reality at all. A while after tea she started on about the 'babby'/'little girl' - and it morphed again into her being firmly convinced that our youngest daughter was NOT our daughter, but the daughter of one of Mils relatives (in Ireland) that Mil was looking after. She insisted that daughter's surname was the same as her maiden name and that she (Mil) had brought her here just for a visit. Now, we could go along with it going that far, but this is the maybe the 3rd time that we have seen this particular delusion evolve into a sort of sundowning with Mil :( She starts to get very bossy with daughter, tells her off if she calls us 'Mum or Dad' , corrects OH or I if we ask the kid to do something and it just generally goes too far - a few weeks ago she got in a furious mood because she was demanding that youngest came and slept in her room and we obviously said no. So, this is one of the situations where we eventually HAVE to simply say enough and tell her to stop. We started off trying to distract, but it didn't work , so into telling her she was 'mistaken (that stopped it dead the night before - but not last night!). She was ordering Daughter to bed 'NOW' as they would have a long journey 'home' in the morning, correcting myself and OH for talking 'to the child as if she was yours' and generally getting more and more OTT :( OH told her firmly to stop, that she was getting mixed up, that youngest WAS our daughter and that Mil was to stop ordering her round. No joy - straight into ranting accusations of kidnapping, threats to phone the police and the ' we are not going to discus it' didn't work as she simply continued to mutter comments and to order daughter to bed. At one stage she stood up and made as if to go towards daughter, intending I think, to frog march her upstairs :eek:. I had been looking forward to an evening of catch up with my oldest two, not another evening of the 'Mil and the Mad reality show' so I admit I lost patience at this point - and we were back in the stupidly vicious circle of arguing, which I am absolutely convinced is exactly what she wants on some level at least when she 'sundowns' - she needs the confrontation, maybe as an 'outlet' for her frustration? It ended with OH offering her bedtime meds - which she leapt at - and after she had them, as she opened the door to the hall & stairs, she again turned to youngest and started issuing orders for her to 'come to bed now', saying that she 'didn't care' what 'they' said (presumably OH and self) she was taking her 'home in the morning. I really shouted at her, telling her to go to bed now and back off from MY daughter - she went, but jeeze, you could hear her chunnering on every step of the way!

OH then came and sat down and informed me he didn't think shouting 'helped' - so he got both barrels too :( Especially as he had also raised his voice more than a couple of times to her during the latter part of the evening! And I know shouting makes no difference, but you know what - I think its OK for me to sometimes get fed up of not only being frequently accused of stealing 'someone elses husband' - but also of 'stealing' other people's kids too!

I hope - for all our sakes - that she calms down today - I really don't want this weekend spoiled as this is probably the last time till Easter that both son and oldest daughter will be able to get home at the same time.

Hope your weekend isn't spoiled Ann and you can enjoy some time with your son and daughter will be thinking about you I feel a bit guilty this weekend mums in hospital with her trigeminal neuralgia pain got out of control she's been there since wednesday and to be honest my weekend s looking pretty good for the first time in a long time visiting this afternoon brother doing the evening I'll be in our local doing a bit of catch up with friends and neighbours wonder if they remember me it's been that long!!!! let me know how yours goes got everything crossed for you Take Care Annie x

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Spamar - do take care.
Ann - I do sympathise with your 'both barrels' ! You deserve a pleasant weekend with your children. Keeping my fingers crossed. As for people's ill-timed advice - just had a friend of my dad's posting a sanctimonious, sentimental piece of doggerel aimed at me, I think - all about how to love people with Alzheimer's (which actually is not my father's dementia) - and I'm twitching with pent-up irritation.
And it probably isn't aimed at me, at all. It's probably general or even a reminder to self. For some reason the guilt monster is trailing me even though I was incredibly patient and supportive in my dealings yesterday...
Now to put it to one side. I fervently wish you all a good weekend.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Ann, how awful, and what do the children think?
I really don't know how you cope! But will be thinking of you and OH as the day goes on.
My OHs latest when he comes home from daycare is that he is so tired, day care was so energetic. Yes dear, you'll sleep well tonight! Just thinking about people at daycare being very energetic makes me laugh!
I think OH wants to go out for a coffee and cake. The coffee shops are doing well out of me this week!
Dont worry, I'll take care, nothing energetic. Bit of ironing, pills to sort, rugby to watch.......

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
I'm with Spamar, I don't know how you cope Ann. Is residential care for her completely out of the question? I'm asking because the impact of caring for her will be enormous on all of you. Much more than you probably realise. You're living with a permanent level of stress.

I only put up with a fraction of what you do yet it took months to start recovering, after my mum went I into care. What's frightening is that I actually had very little idea just how bad I was getting when I was bouncing between one lot of stress and the next.

You're doing a fantastic job, just make sure you don't pay too heavy a price. Your health and happiness are important too.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Chin up Ann, hopefully the 'excitement' of having a full house will wear off, amazing how easily it can turn to sundowning though.

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Incidentally, I think it is more than okay for you to express your feelings, Ann; I actually think it is necessary. It's too easy to fall into a victim/martyr mindset when caring for this illness and sometimes you need to reassert yourself and say, 'I have emotions and I have self-respect.' That is a help to your own self-image and in the long run, much better for the relative with dementia. There's a load of rubbish talked about 'compassionate caring', as if we're all supposed to turn into saints over night. No thought to how the strain of being a saint just adds to all the other strains.

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
How strange...

I've had many occasions where MiL has ordered me to bed too.
It usually starts around 8pm (but could be as late as 9pm)...

She starts (you can see it coming, so -to-speak) to get fidgety, and the arms get crossed and she huffs and puffs quite a bit.... angles herself towards me...
Glares at me without speaking.... but I can tell wheat she is thinking....before she says....

"Right, now.... time for bed.... off you go...." .... I play deaf.... and she repeats herself.
She will then (usually), mute the TV, and repeat herself, before she says....
"Stop messing about G, and DO AS YOU ARE TOLD" ....

I leave the room.... and come back a minute or so later...
TV is still muted, and she's in a foul mood, face like thunder.... pursed lips...
I sit down, un-mute the TV, and hope for the best... (Not always a good idea :( ).

If I am lucky, she'll ignore me.... or what she usually does is stand up, come over to where I'm sitting,
and grab my arm, and try and lift me out of the seat... saying
"YOU DO AS YOU ARE TOLD .... MY GIRL".....
That's the point I leave the room, and go and sit on the bed .... and wait and wait....

Out of desperation, I get changed into my PJ's, robe, before I go into kitchen make 2 lovely cups of tea :)... and find some biscuits that I know MiL loves.... and sit back down.
I can see her thinking..... HHHmmmm, not sure about this.... I told you to go to bed...

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Oh please can we all gather round for a group hug?
AnnMac, I suppose your MiL has no idea how lucky she is....but you and your family are paying an awfully high price....

My husband has suddenly started, today, insisting that he must go home and please will I go with him as he doesn't know the way. This is new, and he understands for a few seconds when I tell him we ARE at home, but forgets. Now he wants to go out and see if he can orientate himself, so I must go after him before he goes out of the gate and down the road...!

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
There's a load of rubbish talked about 'compassionate caring', as if we're all supposed to turn into saints over night. No thought to how the strain of being a saint just adds to all the other strains.

You've summed up how i feel and my evening hasn't been 10% of what Ann has experienced.
Too tired and feeling hopeless as a parent, wife, carer to explain.
x

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Annie, I really hope you banished the guilt monster and enjoyed your visit to your brother and your night at the pub - and that you banished the guilt monster. I won't go so far as wishing a stay in hospital on Mil (though I am pushing for a weekend or weeks respite, lol) but IF it did happen, I know darn well that I'd enjoy the break - make the most of it, I would x

Hope you managed to get rid of the guilt monster too, Redlou - and I wish people not actually in the thick of caring, or who havent had the experience, would keep their views to themselves, or at least think before they preach! I get the odd aquaintence who will presume to give me 'advice' on occasion, or make some comment that shows clearly that they haven't got a clue - I soon put them right, I'm afraid. The 'compassionate caring' sometimes feels like an unattainable goal, who's main function often seems to me to be simply to illustrate how **** I am at the caring - as you say, enough stress and strain without having to strive for 'saintliness' - its just not possible!

Lol Spamar - maybe your OH had a 'sports day' - like Mil says she had at day care on Friday :D The kids tell me they are OK - youngest tends to shrug it off as 'Just Nana', and is far more interested and concerned about her own little life - school, theatregroup, choir. She tends not to pull her punches when telling you what she thinks, so I am 99% confident that we would all know about it if Nan really upset her! Oldest two have been a bit shocked by Nan's deterioration in the 6 weeks or so since they have seen her, though. Son and tact have never been formally introduced, ( A bit likie youngest!) sadly, so some of his comments have been blunt to the point of hysterical - and really oddly, Mil takes a massive amount of notice off him. A blunt 'Stop being an idiot Nan' from him has more flipping effect than OH and I spending hours gently trying to coax her into behaving!

We haven't hit the point of residential being on the cards, Delphie - not yet, anyway. As I've always said, its a case of never say never, though!

Tin, I think she was heading that way even before the oldest two came home, sadly - we've had a goodish spell of relative calm over the last week or so, so I guess we were due!

OH flip Grace - how do you put up with that? We simply can't be so accomodating to Mils demands - this is why I say though, that in a lot of respects, I have it easier - I'm not dealing with this solo, I have OH backing me up and vice versa. I suspect that if it was just me caring solo, for the simple case of a quiet life and from sheer exhaustion, I'd probably be a lot more inclined to simply go along with what Mil demands.

Lol RageddyAnne - Mil doesn't think she is lucky at all! She's being held prisoner by her evil son/husband and her daughter-in-law/'husbands bit on the side', in her head - she simply doesn't understand why she can't tootle off back 'home' where she remains convinced she washed regualrly, cooked herself decent meals, took her meds, never fell, kept her house clean and where she never wandered the streets at 2a.m. looking for her dead husband :( I feel for you with the 'home' business - I swear the desire for home comes with built in ear muffs - because absolutely nothing you can say actually gets through!

Bless you, Hair Twiddler - sounds like you are having a really rough time too - feel free to off load hun, maybe it will help xxxx

For all of us . . .

Attachments

• 1 GroupHug.jpg
    1 GroupHug.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 457

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Just to add - last night was a lot calmer, though the day started off a little on the rocky side!

Mil emerged at 6a.m., panicking about being late for school - reassured, cuppa given, back to bed. Up at 10.15 again - walked into the dining room, clean jumper but otherwise wearing all of the previous days clothes - and with a defininte 'aroma' about her that was extremely unpleasant to say the least. Asked her to come back upstairs, so she could get washed and changed, she wanted breakfast first, but no way was she sitting and eating around everyone else until I had her sorted. Very reluctantly, she complied but every stomp of the way was accompanied by sobs about how starving she was. Got her stripped off in the bathroom, she had evidently removed the pad at some stage and she was in a bit of a mess - I think she had got mixed up with breaking wind and actually going to the loo again :rolleyes: As I'm getting her sorted, she is sniffling on about how hungry she is - hasn't been offered food in days, she tells me. I ask her about the fish and chips she had the night before. Silence for a minute, then 'Well apart from the fish and chips, I've not been offered food for weeks' ...

Back down, breakfast given, she started on about wanting to go home - OH told her very calmly that she lives here and why. Yes, but she would like to visit, she insisted. I chipped in and (falling for that 'appealing to her better nature' again) reminded her that all her grandchildren were home, that we had a nice day planned (including a visit to her old friend) and that I would really appreciate it if she calmed down and tried to enjoy the day, so the rest of us could do the same. I told her that none of us wanted arguments or bad temper today - basically her response was along the lines of she would think about behaving if she got to go home - at which point, OH (he who had told me that shouting doesn't help) shouted :rolleyes: Told her that she would behave and how dare she try to threaten us.

Believe it or not, it seemed to sink in! Oh, we had the usual confabulations, and the looking for non-existant missing items, and even a mention or two of the babby and little girl. But otherwise, good as gold! She even thanked me several times for the 'lovely meal' - I'd cooked a big roast for tea, as son has to go back early today and would miss the Sunday roast - and Mil had clearly enjoyed every mouthful! Was so nice to have a pleasant evening with the family, no drama's, no arguing, no walking on eggshells or worrying that she would kick off. She stayed really calm.:D

This morning, she came down at 6.30a.m., and it was tight face, glaring at me and the dreaded Joan Rivers impersonation - 'Can we talk?' :( I told her it was too early, that she could have a cuppa and then go back to bed - sob, sob, sniffle, sniffle, she 'needed' to tell me about a dream about the 'war', she insisted. I told her I was working, and that no, we could talk later, at a more reasonable time - so she proceeded to 'talk' anyway :rolleyes: Not a mention of the war, just her plotting how she was going home today, because she wasn't wanted here and how she was going to phone a taxi, get a bus, walk if she had to, but she was 'getting out that door' and going whether I liked it or not - and that would teach me ! I merely reminded her that I was trying to work, got told that she could talk to herself if she liked! So, I took my coffee and my ciggys outside (lovely morning, if a bit nippy) and eventually, she toddled off back to bed.

Yet again, fingers crossed that she is in a better mood when she gets up again later!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Good morning everybody! Blue sky, but windy ( though not as bad as last night!). Yesterday went well!!! Went out for coffee to one of those places where you can park right outside and you can have a good natter ( if she's got time) with the lady who runs it). Feels like popping into a friends. It's another one that is attached to a farm shop and also has a great butchery, meat from down the road! Not that OH eats much meat, he can't chew very well. In fact, he doesnt eat much at all!
Hoping today will be a good day!
RedLou, I agree with you about compassionate communication. It's nice if you can do it, but makes you feel guilty if you can't ( everybody else does it, I must be a bad carer cos I can't all the time)
Thank you for the hug Ann.
Have a good day, folks!
Just a thought, are weekend days better or worse for you, or is there no difference?

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
So glad you two had good days yesterday, Ann and Spamar. Fingers crossed for the other posters on this thread - and for today!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Glad you got a good day too, Spamar - and its a gorgeous morning here, all gold and blue at sunrise - was out with my camera in the garden not long before Mil came down. Still in my dressing gown, but the neighbours are fairly used to me doing that so hopefully, I didn't scare anyone :eek:

Weekends, specifically Sundays, are the toughest for us. Sunday is the only day in the week when there is nothing definitely organised for Mil - no day care, no regular visits to her old friends. The rest of the week, she moans about 'never having a rest' - Sunday, she gets fed up very quickly, wanting a lot of attention/to do something, but never seemingly happy with anything we suggest. I'm resisting getting into any sort of 'regular' activity, because we need one day when its just 'do whatever we want to' - no pressure to be anywhere or do anything. Its the only day youngest has no activities so gets a lie in and I like taking my time about geting showered and dressed and just being able to 'pootle around' with no timetable to stick to. However, every 2 weeks, OH usually works a 12 hour shift on a Sunday - and that is awful, a day I absolutely dread. With mainly just me around, Mil is more likely to play up, and it can make for a really long, horrendous day :(

Hope you got a good day too, Redlou xxx

Bless you, 1954 - sounds like your Mil is playing you up too, at the moment:( xxxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Prince mleo