So bizarre !

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Oh Ann! I'm afraid that a few hours of that would have me either gibbering in a corner or looking for an implement with which to commit bodily harm :( Whatever the cause, my patience just would not stretch to tolerate being spoken to the way MIL speaks to you. I do hope your OH realises that you are a very special lady.

*wolf whistles* Oooh, look at Spamar with her glamorous new hairdo. It sounds as if you are getting to the end of the red tape.

Grace, I am so sorry that it seems you will have to wait longer for your op. I did laugh about your MIL's Christmas plans though :D I do hope you get your belongings back.

Mum took her friend, my OH and me out for lunch today. We turned up at a local hostelry, expecting it to be very quiet on a Monday lunchtime - and found them to be packed out! They do half price main courses all day Monday and it is obviously popular. They did manage to squeeze us in as none of us would have coped with perching on bar stools for 20 minutes, which is what they said first. It was a nice lunch and Mum was OK, although a bit frail and not with it. I did think of you, Ann, when both Mum and her friend covered their meals with a layer of salt without even tasting it...

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I tuped a post on Sat and then lost it so catching up now.

Spamar - well done on getting round to getting a haircut.

Slugsta, I don't want to keep the stuff from mum's it just annoys me as our house was such a mess some of the stuff she hoarded and the time she spent keeping in touch with people but never visiting them and not cleaning the house etc.

Grace, you and niece need to keep reminding MIL what she is doing for Christmas, may just work. I'm guessing she is of the generation who don't wear trousers, my MIL has never ever worn trousers and has told my daughter off for wearing them and for wanting nail varnish for her birthday. No dementia involved just very old fashioned. Hope you get your op soon, maybe everybody else will go private and shortenthe queue for you.:D

Ann - I'd have more than snapped with that yesterday, but then I know I wouldn't have got this far with caring anyway. Up early the last 2 days to see dau off to Derby on Sun and Newport (S wales) today, went back to bed both times but still catching up with me. Hope you can sort your chemists out better. I know I've seen the van for my local one at my mum's at the other end of town so others might. Hope you get a peaceful day whilst she is at daycare tomorrow and catch up on some sleep to enjoy half term.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
It's funny, MIL has always preferred trousers, as has my mum. They both wore them at work. However, MIL's older sister once told me that she (older sister) only wore trousers indoors to do housework, and changed into a skirt when she went out to walk the dog. She would never be seen in trousers, they are not decent for a woman. :eek:

We all have our quirks when it comes to clothing. I, even if I was slim (which I am not :eek:), would never wear shorts in public. Wear a coat over my nightie to go to the corner shop? That's fine! :D

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

That pic could have been better, Spamar - but I was too lazy to go fetch and set up the tripod, lol! It just reminded me of a couple of chats we've had on here, about is there any truth to the belief that a full moon affects behavior - going on yesterday and the day before, I'd say that there was a fair bit of evidence in favour of saying that yes - it really does!

We hide the salt, now Slugsta - when I put Mil's meal down in front of her, I tell her that I've already 'put on as much salt as the Doctor says you can have' - the 'Doctor' is responsible for a LOT of things in this house because Mil doesn't like to go against what a 'doctor' has advised :D

Jm and Katrine, Mil only wears trousers now! She used to wear skirts, but even before she moved in with us, she was having a few falls and in the end was convinced the falls were down to the low court style shoes and low heeled sandals she used to wear with skirts and dresses. She kept saying that you couldn't buy decent shoes in those styles any more (?). We took her to get her feet properly measured and buy shoes that were 'sturdier', more supportive, that we hoped she would feel safer in - she declared then that you couldn't 'wear skirts with shoes like that' and has worn trousers almost exclusively since then. Even last year, when we found some really comfy (and well fitted) flat sandals for her, she stuck to the trousers. I think the last time she worse a dress was for oldests B.A. graduation - and she clearly felt uncomfortable in it (though she looked really nice) and complained about the dress looking 'awful' on her all day :( I must admit I tend to stick to jeans myself - though when the weather is decent, I will wear maxi dresses - I love them for wedding photography, reasonably smart, comfy, easy to move in them - and should I have to stretch or crouch or climb to get a shot, no chance of my top rising up and people around me bursting into screams of 'Say No to crack' :p :eek:

Daughters arrived home shortly after my last post yesterday and I called Mil downstairs to join us for tea. Initially, it was as though the behaviour of earlier hadn't happened, though oddly she walked into the room and though she spoke nicely to both girls, she didn't seem to realise that oldest had just come home for the first time in 9 or 10 weeks. It was half way through the meal that she suddenly looked at oldest and said 'Oh - you're home!', despite the fact that she had spoken to her several times already.

After tea, the confabulations and confusion continued. She started talking about oldests boyfriend (relatively new on the scene, and Mil has never met him) coming out with several tall tales that involved him, as though she knew him well. Watching and listening to Mil and oldest, it really brought home to me how impossible it now is to hold anything like a conversation with Mil these days. Not just in terms of the content of anything Mil says being largely invented, but more the way she goes off on tangents and changes the tales mid-sentence, random phrases popping up that have nothing to do with whatever it was that she has started talking about. It really makes it hard to respond to anything she says, in a 'conversational' way. After tea, in the front room, oldest put on some programme that involved planning a wedding (was she dropping hints?) and tried to draw her Nana into a chat about the wedding dresses being shown - as she was speaking Mil suddenlygot up and asked for the remote control, completely cutting across what dau was saying to her. Daughter asked did she want to check the time? No, said Mil - I want to play games on the telly - give me the remote! It was just so abrupt and quite rude, complete disregard for anyone else watching the TV.

Shortly after that, ET landed. As did the 'little girl' that Mil had brought with her, who (Mil said) had been here 'all day' and who was now at 'Mil's house'. Again, Mil very clear that the house had been sold but still somehow sure that she could come and go as she pleased and that she still lived there most of the time. I went very quickly to 'No - I'm not going to talk about that', but she nagged on and on - so hard not to say anything that allows her to draw you into an argument about 'home'. In the end, she declared she wanted bed, as I wasn't giving in, and I was glad to see the back of her, TBH. Really hard work yesterday :(

There were no complaints about any discomfort from the bump on her head, but some nasty bruising is coming out on her hand, from when she fell. I checked she had full range of movement in fingers and wrist, so no break - but the bruising obviously has left her very sore, so I would imagine that between that, the leg injury and the new skin tear on her elbow, she isn't going to be the sweetest to be around for the next few days. Next week, I think I will take her to the local mobility shop and see how she gets on trying frames and walkers - its definitely getting to be time for that, probably well passed time for it, though she has always been very resistant to the idea. I'm hoping she will accept something that decreases the likelihood of falls and further injury - and if necessary, I'll lie through my teeth and tell her the Doctor has said she must use it while her leg is healing. Needs must and all that!

Off (hopefully, weather permitting) with my girls, dogs and camera to local Alyn Waters, to get some more Autumn shots and stretch my legs. Haven't been out properly at all for nearly 3 weeks with this lurgy, finally it seems to be pretty much gone, so want to get some exercise.

Hope you guys all have a good day xxxxx

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Ditto those theories about a full moon...We too are in Alice in Wonderland country here, and would be wonderful if things improve as the moon wanes. Lovely photo.

When you think you couldn't possibly put up with what someone's Dementia puts you through, but there's no alternative, isn't it amazing how , somehow, you get through it? Ann, you are an extraordinary example, and I think of you when I want to throw all my teddies out of the pram.
Once I went out to the garage and actually screamed.....and it did release the tension. I'm amazed no one seems to have done that in a public place!

Hoping everyone has.a better day today...

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Ditto those theories about a full moon...We too are in Alice in Wonderland country here, and would be wonderful if things improve as the moon wanes. Lovely photo.

When you think you couldn't possibly put up with what someone's Dementia puts you through, but there's no alternative, isn't it amazing how , somehow, you get through it? Ann, you are an extraordinary example, and I think of you when I want to throw all my teddies out of the pram.
Once I went out to the garage and actually screamed.....and it did release the tension. I'm amazed no one seems to have done that in a public place!

Hoping everyone has.a better day today...

Oh Anne - I may get 'through it' - but I don't think I get 'through it' always in a good way :( I have far less patience than I think is needed - I really hate how many times I (or OH) end up sending Mil to her room, like a naughty child. Its just not right - but can I find an alternative that will distract her from whatever behaviour is driving us to distraction? Can I heck! :( So its sending her to her room and just hoping the break from company will also 'break' whatever the delusion is. The fact that its the most likely thing to work doesn't make it any easier to accept, a lot of the time. Like you, I wish there was a 'magic' tablet that would just provide her (and us) with some relief. I used to say that I hated the thought of Mil being turned into some sort of zombie by medication - but do you know what? I've found out that there are worst things. At least I get day care and respite breaks - which is a lot more than you and others get!

When I think about it, I too am surprised that there are not more carers screaming their hearts out in public - because most of us surely have a good excuse to!

Roll on the waning moon - hopefully, it will help!

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Ann I have no were near the angst you do but considering mum's episodes in the last couple of weeks I am going down the sedation path. I had knocked it back previously but I just can't leave her in this state.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Ann I have no were near the angst you do but considering mum's episodes in the last couple of weeks I am going down the sedation path. I had knocked it back previously but I just can't leave her in this state.

Exactly, Terry! Anything has to be better than the fear and frustration and anger and extreme anxiety. There is no peace for her - and by extension, for us either. Its cruel - and if she were offered a pill that leaves her sat rocking in the corner with a smile on her face, as long as it curbed all the miserable emotions and unhappiness for her, I'd say yes like a shot!

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Ann I never thought I would agree to that level of sedation but things have changed. Especially as mum is mobile it seems to excerberate it.
Mum had another MMS couldn't remember home address, how to count . This is so not mum

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Ann I never thought I would agree to that level of sedation but things have changed. Especially as mum is mobile it seems to excerberate it.
Mum had another MMS couldn't remember home address, how to count . This is so not mum

In your shoes, Terry, I'd be agreeing to it too - the unacceptable can become suddenly not only acceptable, but preferable when dealing with dementia xxxxxx

The sometimes suddeness of declines never ceases to shock us, no matter how often they can happen or how much we think we have come to expect them. I agree the fact that someone is mobile can make things more difficult in some ways (though there are probably issues just as bad that I've yet to even consider, when mobility goes). This last week has seen Mil's walking really deteriorate - and she doesn't realise/remember this, which adds a whole new level of risk when she decides she is going to storm off in a huff.

This morning, there have been two near-falls, so a frame is now (and very suddenly) urgent. I suppose I should go through the 'procedure' - contact adult services, wait for them to refer to OT, wait for OT to contact us, wait for appointment for them to come and assess, fill in reams of paperwork, wait anything up to 8 weeks - and then get told that she will have to pay anyway, and have them quote a price at least twice as high as Mil would pay in the disability shops. I can't be bothered! And I'm fed up of waiting weeks for a response to a request for 'urgent' help whenever we hit a situation where she suddenly needs some new piece of equipment or specific aid. And faced with 'professionals' who largely don't get that she can't remember/follow instructions, I reckon the chances of the frame being suitable are more likely to be met by my and OH sorting it out for her, anyway.

Feeling rather bitter about the lack of support when we all most need it, this morning - my heart is still in my mouth after her nearly pitching into her bedroom door frame and then into the fireplace, this morning :(

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
When you said earlier about MIL accepting that her mother has died but she wants to talk to her resonants with me. Mum knows I am her daughter not always my name but daughter definitely. She talks about events when I would have been 2 , 3 ,4 or even -1 or -2 .
I know I find that difficult that she appears to understand the passing of time but then promptly ignores it.

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Morning All...

Essie...
Well remembered, MiL did empty my wardrobe/s and was planning on taking them to the Charity shop.
I try and use the door wedges to stop her going in rooms, but it is difficult, as she gets so cross.
Sometimes if she gets cross, she can get violent.
I would have thought the utility was 'safe' and MiL friendly, not much to 'pilfer'.

Teaspoons will be lost forever. Its not the first time they have gone missing.

I've always worn jeans / chinos, not many skirts, unless Summer, and then long skirts.
MiL wears trousers, shorts, and not many skirts.
She does not like 'jeans' and she hates my long hair. She wants it collar length, or shorter.

Ann.... My husband asked me to open the bathroom door (just after his shower) to let the dog in.
He called her (we don't have a dog) , then got reallllly cross with me... and it turned nasty.
He was convinced I had killed the dog !! It was 'so real ' to him, nothing would convince him.

My niece has said she is going to make sure 'it happens' .... MiL going to her sons for Christmas.
She said she will take her there herself.

I need to tell SS this.... but I'm not sure how to go about it...

I live in a flat (converted house) , just 4 of them...
MiL always watches the gate to see who is coming and going, and needs to know exactly
'who that is' in the white car.... who that is .... in the black car....
I say, just X, or X visiting a neighbour.

Car drive in, MiL jumps up and goes to the door, opens it, and watches them.
This person (I don't know) went to my upstairs neighbour , rang the bell, but they were not in.

MiL , still watching, says ... 'Sorry, they are out, would you like to come in and wait ?
MiL says (she does not know) they will be home from work soon, and would they like a cup of tea !!!

I'm stood behind her, and ask what does she think she is doing ?
This person was MALE, she did not now them .... and did not seem to understand why I was cross.

This person, says no, but thank you for the invite.
I'm just shocked, don't know what to do, say, but I need to tell SS about this.

Have a good day ....

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Ann.... My husband asked me to open the bathroom door (just after his shower) to let the dog in.
He called her (we don't have a dog) , then got reallllly cross with me... and it turned nasty.
He was convinced I had killed the dog !! It was 'so real ' to him, nothing would convince him.

Mum always talks about dead dogs . No idea where it came from

I live in a flat (converted house) , just 4 of them...
MiL always watches the gate to see who is coming and going, and needs to know exactly
'who that is' in the white car.... who that is .... in the black car....
I say, just X, or X visiting a neighbour.
Mum thinks every conversation is directed at her. Difficult when the person is a workman outside and she answers

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Its so hard to get your head around the lack of ability to draw logical conclusions from 'facts' that she seems to know and accept, Terry. She is often very clear about her Mother having died - but can't seem to realise that of course this means she can't 'phone' her. Or that she knows her house is sold - yet can't work out that this means that she can't just go back there when she wants, that she can't have keys to it, that other people now live there. She just can't see the connection - which is incredibly frustrating when you try and explain why you can't just 'dial' the number for her, or you have to refuse to let her 'go home'. Like your Mum, she has often been unable to grasp that me or OH can't possibly know about things that happened to her when she was a child, or even that we couldn't possibly have been witness to or part of her childhood events. The other one that gets me is her being very clear that her son is in his late 40's, being very clear (at that precise moment) that she is his Mum - and yet still being certain that she is only in her 30's!

The inviting people in - complete strangers - is a big risk, Grace - I agree, you have to somehow raise this concern with authorities. But after that, hun - its out of your hands. YOU can only do so much xxxxx

Last edited:

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Grace - I think you should tell SS about her turning violent towards you at times. I don't see why you should be at risk because her children won't get off their proverbials. :(

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Morning Ann,
Does the gp surgery not have a pharmacy you can use? We live just over a mile from surgery ( actually in the local town, not in our village) and all meds come from there. Mistakes can be quickly sorted. Though I noticed a guy there querying a mistake on his prescription and hence his meds. It was sorted, but he had to go back to his chosen chemist ( there are two in town) to actually get the meds. Talk about long winded! Nevertheless, it might be worth asking, stressing the difficulties you have.

Hope you have an easier day today and am glad the show went well. I went to meet a friend, newly returned from her cruise ( her OH is in same care home that my OH was in). The last time the 4 of us met up, earlier this year, my OH was asking me if M ( her OH) had seen the memory clinic cos OH was convinced that memory clinic could help M! M was diagnosed several years before OH. The difference is M likes it in care home and OH hated it. OH was also 10 years older.
I met with another friend in Waitrose, she looked really ill. Her OH died a year ago, also dementia, but I am concerned about her well being. Will try and go and see her this week sometime.

Meanwhile, I am feeling much better today! No reason why, but thinking about it, Sundays and Mondays have always been good, whatever my head is doing on other days (spinning and nauseous). I've got a virus that can tell the day of the week!! Not dementia, then!!!

Have a good day, everyone!
That's really weird, a weekend head? :confused:

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
RedLou...
I've told (recorded delivery letter) MiLs GP, several times about 'acts of violence', shoving / pushing.
Most of the time it is when she does not get her own way, and as usual my fault.
Dr or Practice Nurse has never asked to see me for a chat , or even responded to my letters.

Now finally SS involved, and I can 'cc' then with any correspondence that I think they should read.

Thing is...
When my late husband (VaD) had violent episodes, they SS/SW were not really interested.
More paperwork, more assessments, more visits.... and NO MONEY in budget.

Ann, forgot to say, lovely photo.
I hope your MiL has a calmer day/ evening.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
It is weird, Anne. It started on a Tuesday while I was on holiday, lasted until Friday. Then clear until the following Tuesday until Saturday , then Wednesday until Saterday. None so far this week. But suddenly last Saturday felt so much better, as if someone turned a switch. I have been taking the tablets to reduce symptoms for a week. I've also had a few symptoms beforehand.
Just hoping it's all over, cos it's quite debilitating.

Stress maybe?

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Mostly Ann's MIL can trump my husband, but how about this as a new one? I was sitting, busy, on the loo when husband decided he must go, urgently. There are two other loos in our house, but it HAD to be the one I was sitting on. Right NOW! That, or in the wardrobe! So I had to hastily move aside for husband, and go to the other bathroom, which he'd insisted he couldn't find.

I hope that doesn't happen again....I'd imagined possession of the loo was nine tenths of the law!:D