Should care home be paying more attention?

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
I was on my regular visit to the Ch today. Sat with my aunt at a table, and a lady who
lives there sat next to me. She pulled my sleve, so I said hello to her. After a while, she gave me a light punch to the ribs, and I told her to stop it. Last time I was there, the same lady was removing my aunts plate while auntie was still eating. I got the plate back, and the lady grasped my arm.
I told staff ,,today, they just smiled.
should staff have paid more attention to stop this lady? I wonder what she does to the residents? Suppose I had been frightened and screamed or hit her?

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Weekends are always a bad time to make a complaint at CHs. It's very rare to see the ( very nice) manager on duty, and since there is only one Senior carer on duty at Mum's Home, I usually have to wait until a weekday before I comment on something that needs attention.
Mind I agree with you that this lady needs watching carefully.:eek:

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya,

My advice would be to have a friendly word with the staff. Tell them that as you often encourter this lady and she seems to be around your aunt a lot, that you would like to understand how to approach her and avoid any incidents such as her punching you. It could be for example that the staff know that the lady isn't violent but is perhaps over exuberant in her interactions with people. They would also know if, say, she is trying to be helpful by clearing away the plates rather than it being a particular 'attack' on your Aunt. I would say that if there was any risk of danger with the lady in question then the staff would have had a duty to warn you and you would probably find that they would be more proactive in managing her - even if it was just to 'move her along', if you see what I mean.

I'd have the chat and see what the response is. At least that way fore-warned is fore-armed.

Fiona

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
I was on my regular visit to the Ch today. Sat with my aunt at a table, and a lady who
lives there sat next to me. She pulled my sleve, so I said hello to her. After a while, she gave me a light punch to the ribs, and I told her to stop it. Last time I was there, the same lady was removing my aunts plate while auntie was still eating. I got the plate back, and the lady grasped my arm.
I told staff ,,today, they just smiled.
should staff have paid more attention to stop this lady? I wonder what she does to the residents? Suppose I had been frightened and screamed or hit her?

I think it is easy to blame the staff but were they attending to other matters at that point.
I remember visiting Dad in an elderly persons ward about 8 years ago. Dad did not have dementia.
When we walked in as visitors almost all of the patients started kicking off at the same time and every available member of staff and visitor was trying to stop patients hitting other patients etc.
Even Dad got out of bed to help.
I don't know what would have happened if only the staff had been there.
Dad's results came through at about 4am and he asked if he could go as everything was ok.
The nurse said she would be happy to discharge him if somebody would collect him.
I arrived about 20 minutes later.
Dad could not get out of the ward fast enough.
He said the other patients were driving him nuts.
One thing I did find out that counted as a night time discharge of an elderly patient which hospitals are sometimes criticised for.
I think night time discharges are ok if the person is fit and wants to go and being collected by a friend or relative.

William

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
I did tell the team leader about this lady. The leader asked if I was hurt, and I was not. She smiled and said, referring to the lady, that she was a little b..... .
I think the lady was just trying to get my attention. There were 2 other staff in the room, they were busy washing up..
What worries me really is the lack of supervision here, and am still a bit anxious in case my aunt should get hurt, she is getting a little fragile now.

BLONDY

Oct 29, 2011
2000 MILES AWAY
Is there a better care home in the area. Have you looked on the care quality commission site for information on this home. Write to the care home with your concerns and add social services as a recipient
Kind Regards
Blondy

Sent from my LC0901D using Talking Point mobile app

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellen C