Semi invisibles

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Many of you will know I joined this forum when my mum needed more support.

However issues have been rumbling on a while with MIL, she is 94, living on her own in a bungalow, 200 miles away. She is supported by 3 friends, distant cousin L, friend L and friend P.

I've chosen the title as we are barely involved in supporting MIL, but OH is the only family in the UK that does.

She has no dementia diagnosis, OH has his head in the sand over that one to even consider it, but I'm pretty certain this is the cause of the current issue. Based on knowledge gleaned on here I suspect dementia has been present for a few years, although slow deterioration, gave up driving after reversing once too often into friends cars a few years ago.

She currently has a carer for 2 hours every morning to help her get up, no SS assessment. I spoke to distant cousin L and she said she didn't think she'd let SS across the threshold, which is a shame when being in Scotland some element of the morning support might be free. She agreed to the carer on the basis that she does need support to get up, she does have mobility issues and the carer helps her get up and wash, helps her with breakfast, and provides some company (MIL isn't aware this is the purpose of the visit). She is and will always be self funding and was persuaded that AA would cover the carer costs, which it does in part.

In mid July we got a call from friend L who thought she needed an afternoon evening carer, but was refusing to countenance this, and therefore pay for it. This apparently came about because friend P called round (door either unlocked or key safe used) and MIl was snoozing in her chair and woke up very disorientated, not recognising P. Cousin L says she goes into kitchen and makes a cup of tea and chats and this wakes MIL up slowly and 'brings her round'.

OH has put off visiting to talk her into carers, partly because he talks to her on the phone and she seems ok (I'm assuming she is in host mode) and partly he had an awful childhood, mainly caused by his father and hasn't got much desire to visit (we have normally visited annually with the children for xmas - and never more than twice a year - recent visits have been there and back in a day as OH finds any longer too much).

There has recently been a major health scare with OH's sister who is resident in the US which seems to have sent MIL into a spiral of anxiety. MIL was a GP, and prior to that an A & E registrar, unfortunately, whilst she retired in the early 90s her medical knowledge seems to have retreated to the 60s - according to cousin L - who is a retired consultant (oncology and then palliative care). This means she can't comprehend that the issue is a relatively routine op with very low risk of side effects, as in the 60s if the issue was discovered at all, it would have been likely inoperable. MIL has gone into full panic mode, phoning all her friends, and generally being a bit of a nuisance, flapping she should really be travelling out to the US etc. OH after explaining it in several phone calls to her, has got cross with her, and told her to stop flapping, which she has denied - as she isn't aware really of her reaction. SIL has tried to explain it as well.

Both OH and SIL just think it is their mum being a bit over anxious whereas I see this as part of her continued pattern of decline.

OH is planning to visit at the weekend (subject to buying diesel) and talking to her, to tell her what she needs. I have tried gently to talk to him, but he is just dismissive. Most of the issue is the poor childhood but no understanding of dementia isn't helping. I think eh is going to tell her she needs the afternoon carer, although not sure.

Cousin L, and friend L (a retired district nurse) think she would be best in a care home, but she wouldn't accept it, clearly currently has capacity of a sort and will only move when the inevitable crisis happens. SIL has rose tinted spectacles and has always thought a live in carer will be the answer when the time comes - L and L both agree this wouldn't work.

I doubt if I could get OH to understand dementia any better that the outcome would be any different, he just might be a bit more gentle with her when he visits. The way she is getting so wound up about SIL might yet trigger a crisis - her op isn't until 27 October.

OH's childhood was miserable mainly due to a domineering father, who also dominated his mother, but he struggles with the complete lack of acknowledgement of this by his mother. She has shown very little warmth to him since his father died and we have always visited out of duty.

I don't think there are any answers or anything I can do to help either OH or anyone else in this at the moment but just need to write it down.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Juggling mum, your MiL is lucky to have such supportive friends. I think I would have twigged things were really going pear shaped with my mother a lot earlier if it wasn't for the neighbour who was keeping an eye on her, and who I never properly met. Her move away seemed to be the start of mum not really managing anymore.
I hope your husband manages to get there and see for himself what her needs are. Otherwise it sounds you are waiting for a crisis to happen, and you really don't want that if you can avoid it.

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
@jugglingmum I hope your OH gets to visit your MIL and persuades her to accept more care visits. It’s so hard when you’re just waiting for a crisis to happen especially when you are 200 miles away. So fortunate that there are friends to keep an eye on her.

Emmcee

Dec 28, 2015
Many of you will know I joined this forum when my mum needed more support.

However issues have been rumbling on a while with MIL, she is 94, living on her own in a bungalow, 200 miles away. She is supported by 3 friends, distant cousin L, friend L and friend P.

I've chosen the title as we are barely involved in supporting MIL, but OH is the only family in the UK that does.

She has no dementia diagnosis, OH has his head in the sand over that one to even consider it, but I'm pretty certain this is the cause of the current issue. Based on knowledge gleaned on here I suspect dementia has been present for a few years, although slow deterioration, gave up driving after reversing once too often into friends cars a few years ago.

She currently has a carer for 2 hours every morning to help her get up, no SS assessment. I spoke to distant cousin L and she said she didn't think she'd let SS across the threshold, which is a shame when being in Scotland some element of the morning support might be free. She agreed to the carer on the basis that she does need support to get up, she does have mobility issues and the carer helps her get up and wash, helps her with breakfast, and provides some company (MIL isn't aware this is the purpose of the visit). She is and will always be self funding and was persuaded that AA would cover the carer costs, which it does in part.

In mid July we got a call from friend L who thought she needed an afternoon evening carer, but was refusing to countenance this, and therefore pay for it. This apparently came about because friend P called round (door either unlocked or key safe used) and MIl was snoozing in her chair and woke up very disorientated, not recognising P. Cousin L says she goes into kitchen and makes a cup of tea and chats and this wakes MIL up slowly and 'brings her round'.

OH has put off visiting to talk her into carers, partly because he talks to her on the phone and she seems ok (I'm assuming she is in host mode) and partly he had an awful childhood, mainly caused by his father and hasn't got much desire to visit (we have normally visited annually with the children for xmas - and never more than twice a year - recent visits have been there and back in a day as OH finds any longer too much).

There has recently been a major health scare with OH's sister who is resident in the US which seems to have sent MIL into a spiral of anxiety. MIL was a GP, and prior to that an A & E registrar, unfortunately, whilst she retired in the early 90s her medical knowledge seems to have retreated to the 60s - according to cousin L - who is a retired consultant (oncology and then palliative care). This means she can't comprehend that the issue is a relatively routine op with very low risk of side effects, as in the 60s if the issue was discovered at all, it would have been likely inoperable. MIL has gone into full panic mode, phoning all her friends, and generally being a bit of a nuisance, flapping she should really be travelling out to the US etc. OH after explaining it in several phone calls to her, has got cross with her, and told her to stop flapping, which she has denied - as she isn't aware really of her reaction. SIL has tried to explain it as well.

Both OH and SIL just think it is their mum being a bit over anxious whereas I see this as part of her continued pattern of decline.

OH is planning to visit at the weekend (subject to buying diesel) and talking to her, to tell her what she needs. I have tried gently to talk to him, but he is just dismissive. Most of the issue is the poor childhood but no understanding of dementia isn't helping. I think eh is going to tell her she needs the afternoon carer, although not sure.

Cousin L, and friend L (a retired district nurse) think she would be best in a care home, but she wouldn't accept it, clearly currently has capacity of a sort and will only move when the inevitable crisis happens. SIL has rose tinted spectacles and has always thought a live in carer will be the answer when the time comes - L and L both agree this wouldn't work.

I doubt if I could get OH to understand dementia any better that the outcome would be any different, he just might be a bit more gentle with her when he visits. The way she is getting so wound up about SIL might yet trigger a crisis - her op isn't until 27 October.

OH's childhood was miserable mainly due to a domineering father, who also dominated his mother, but he struggles with the complete lack of acknowledgement of this by his mother. She has shown very little warmth to him since his father died and we have always visited out of duty.

I don't think there are any answers or anything I can do to help either OH or anyone else in this at the moment but just need to write it down.
Hi there, Having just re-read this for the third time, I wondered whether or not a live in carer/ ?housekeeper/ ?something else may be an option?

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Thanks for your replies.

Yes MIL is very lucky to have such supportive friends and very sadly from a semi outsider this is partly because she has clearly been warm and kind to those in her friendship circles. Which contrasts with the lack of warmth and kindness exhibited towards her children and grandchildren. I was rather shocked at her 90th birthday party a few years ago to see her interacting in this way with her friends.

Once when we were there friend P was commenting on grandchildren, and MIL commented that many of her friends looked after their grandchildren but she never had any intention of being that sort of grandparent in a rather haughty voice. Her friend was far more shocked at her comments than we were. She has previously chastised my husband for spending so much time taking our daughter to cycling competitions (at the time she was in the top 3 in her agegroup in the country) and never once praised or commented on granddaughter's cycling excellence - until granddaughter missed her 90th party for a competition and all her guests were full of praise for granddaughter being such a good cyclist. Visiting has always been wearisome and out of duty. I think the increasing complete lack of empathy she has had for the last few years (which I'm sure is dementia related) has been the straw that broke the camels back as far as my husband is concerned.

Cousin L is fully aware of the family background, has had descriptions of deceased FIL's 'nasty' behaviour as a teenager from her own now deceased mum - nasty being the word used by cousin L's mum and clearly implying that she assumed this continued into his married life. She has said to me that she will try to minimise the input OH needs to provide as she has some understanding of
the issues.

As far as live in care is concerned friend L, cousin L and friend P all think it is most definitely not a good option, MIL is very much a snob and wouldn't treat anyone well she didn't think was of her own social status, wouldn't countenance a TV etc in the house. They all say that they struggle to keep her company for as long as an hour as her conversation has become so tedious. MIL at the moment needs company rather than care but she would only tolerate 'formal' conversation from someone she considers an equal - ie a fellow professional. She has always spoken to me in a different way to her own daughter as she considers me a fellow working professional (I don't work in a medical field) which hasn't gone down well with SIL but not of my making.

It's just a waiting game really - I'll update if OH does go up at the weekend.

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GinaRose