Hospital appointment

really78

Jan 7, 2023
Hi everyone . I have a hospital appointment with the person l care for Friday.Last time it was really difficult at the eye , hospital as transport got messed up ,resulting in me having to go by taxi, causing distress all aroynd.

Had a lovely nurse who managed to arrange transport , coming back but he was difficult with transport staff that were brilliant.Does anyone else feel embarrassed,when they are out in the community and the behaviour of the dementia, person is challenging. ?

Its also coming up to a memorial , for my aunt who passed from pancreatic , so l'm really wanting to just get through ,this appointment & get home to rest. It wouldn't just be the appointment l assist, with but cooking cleaning etc .

It's an overnight stay 1 night that l haven't done for a while , so could be hit or miss. I've been struggling , with symptoms of grief from a previous loss so the appointment has really just come at an inconvenient time.There is no one else to go, but just on here to vent my frustrations . Hopefully it will be a lot better than l'm thinking if will. Hope everyone is doing ok 🌷

StressedDaughter

Jan 25, 2023
It is what it is. Try and breathe and go with the flow. I often excuse Mum’s behaviour with a - ‘Mum gets a bit muddled’ comment but most people don’t care (in a good way). I think my mood rubs off on Mum easily. I’m increasingly noticing she mimics my mood. So try to relax - I am convinced my Mum follows my mood and would therefore be anxious too if I am.

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
Maybe the lanyards are helpful here?
Someone acting out of the norm generates glances, spot the lanyard ’Ah I see’

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hi everyone . I have a hospital appointment with the person l care for Friday.Last time it was really difficult at the eye , hospital as transport got messed up ,resulting in me having to go by taxi, causing distress all aroynd.

Had a lovely nurse who managed to arrange transport , coming back but he was difficult with transport staff that were brilliant.Does anyone else feel embarrassed,when they are out in the community and the behaviour of the dementia, person is challenging. ?

Its also coming up to a memorial , for my aunt who passed from pancreatic , so l'm really wanting to just get through ,this appointment & get home to rest. It wouldn't just be the appointment l assist, with but cooking cleaning etc .

It's an overnight stay 1 night that l haven't done for a while , so could be hit or miss. I've been struggling , with symptoms of grief from a previous loss so the appointment has really just come at an inconvenient time.There is no one else to go, but just on here to vent my frustrations . Hopefully it will be a lot better than l'm thinking if will. Hope everyone is doing ok 🌷
Hello @really78 and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I do hope that the appointment goes well and is not too stressful. This is a good place to vent any frustrations so please keep posting any time you want to talk.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Before Mum went into the nursing home and I had to take her to hospital appointments I did find that she would become grumpy/short tempered. On a couple of occasions when I apologised and explained she had dementia we got moved up the queue when waiting for xrays. I did find that most people as soon as you mention dementia or Alzheimer's they do understand. Get a sunflower lanyard and don't be shy about using it.
Take care

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wendy.ferris