Our magic bitter sweet moments šŸ„°šŸ„°šŸ„°

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Will save a painting for another day šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ thatā€™s a story in itself!

anyway after the drama of the last few weeks we had a weekend off from ā€˜business and dramaā€™. managed to get mum out for a walk with the grandkid on Saturday. She enjoyed that - my SIL very worried when the baby cries but seemed very normal to me šŸ™ˆšŸ™ˆ Bit disappointed We didnā€™t get any cuddles but at least made her laugh with tickly fingers - they do get more interesting as they get older anyway!

Got mum in the car yesterday. She got in absolutely fine - but getting out when sheā€™s tired is hard going now. It took an hour to get from car to wheelchair to toilet to zimmer to lounge. But at least giving her the space to sit meant she stayed relaxed and I just got on with stuff during the intervening times.

Stumbled into a beautiful open garden. I enjoyed a wander - the car park was scenic so mum enjoyed the views and a bacon roll from the posh food van.

Back to the real world with a bump - emailed work requesting some unpaid leave - it will be ironic if they (social services) decline when it is the broken care system I am up against, attempted to get thru to the pharmacy (around 10 calls no answer) and went to collect the POA from the post office as had been sent signed for when out - and it wasnā€™t there šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬
Well done @sdmhred for perseverance and patience.
Your post reminded me of my times with my OH a year or two years ago. My OH developed a fear of falling (having had a few minor falls) which also affected her confidence. So going out, was originally with two sticks through the front door, with a little hearth, which my OH always thought was high, then to grab the handrail, down two steps, then 4 yards or so to car. It took a few minutes, then gradually each step took longer and longer, so I then used a wheelchair. Getting from wheelchair to car, and vice versa on return, took a little while, but gradually longer and longer.
Then one day, when in the car, she said she was frightened to get out of the car. It took 40 mins to persuade her to get out of the car and into wheelchair, and sometimes OK but often not.
At it's worst, when trying to go to the memory singers at 2.30pm (a 10 or 15 minute drive depending on traffic) I had to arrange a v early lunch/brunch (about 12 noon), to start the journey - getting shoes on, coat on, then getting OH into wheelchair in the house, before 1.00pm at the latest!, usually starting at 12.30pm. Then all over again when event finished at 4.00pm, to try and be home indoors by 6.00pm! Then people wondered what I did all day! (I just wondered why!)

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Yes, things definitely go backwards. I can remember when the children were babies it could take all morning just to get the breakfast dishes washed. Do you think this is what they mean when they talk of a second childhood! šŸ˜

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Yes, things definitely go backwards. I can remember when the children were babies it could take all morning just to get the breakfast dishes washed. Do you think this is what they mean when they talk of a second childhood! šŸ˜
But @Knitandpurl what if, like me, I haven't left my first childhood yet!šŸ˜Š

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
The rollercoaster has continued here. Poor mum is finding perhaps every other day that her brain just finds the standing up and walking too hard šŸ˜­šŸ˜­ I can see it in her face that she literally does not know what to do and following instructions is too difficult and scary šŸ˜­šŸ˜­

we had another paramedic call out after she put herself on the floor - 4 adults couldnā€™t get her up and they needed the blow up cushion thingy. She herself has realised she needs more help and needs to be somewhere with more staff and equipment.

Weā€˜re therefore in process of arranging some respite. I have found somewhere which šŸ™šŸ™šŸ™ is good. Itā€™s an old manor building with garden which she will like. All the staff I have met so far have been very personable and the assessment was done with respect and care. They Have queries over her rare physical health condition which we need to sort out over the next few days.

Were both sad but accepting. Mum needs more than I can provide. Sheā€™s fed up with sitting in the same chair all day and there will be some stimulation for her.

day by day ā€¦..

And as for work would u believe they never replied to my unpaid leave request- I had to chase them up šŸ™ˆšŸ™ˆ I soo look forward to hopefully find an employer who actually do show their workforce they are valuedā€¦ā€¦

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
We had a lovely moment last night. Mum was using ā€˜Connie Commodeā€™. Sheā€™s gradually learning its safe - we sit quiet and are both relieved when we hear the ā€˜tinkleā€™ landing safely in the pot šŸ™ˆšŸ™ˆ

My sister tells me u can get kids potties that sing when theyā€™re used successfully - mum and I then launched into a rendition of ā€˜Twinkle Twinkle little starā€™ - I have no recollection Of ever singing with her - it was lovely šŸ„°šŸ„°šŸ„°

I did try to turn it into a tinklE tinkle little wee song but my poetic skills were not up to it šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Tinkle tinkle little wee,
You're not here, where can you be? šŸ¤”
In the bladder, hiding there,
We'll just wait without a care. šŸ˜

What's that sound? Oh yes, yippee!!! šŸ˜€

Last edited:

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
I did try to turn it into a tinklE tinkle little wee song but my poetic skills were not up to it šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Your poetic skills ARE up to it, @sdmhred , they're just hidden at the moment.

Take my example, up to a few short months ago I was a nobody in the world of verse. Now? On the verge of having my first anthology published.šŸ˜

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
The lady with d and I love our new ā€˜Tinkleā€˜ poemā€¦.
We hope it will bring laughs and smiles to commodes across the country and beyond!

indeed @Neveradullday! is DSF resident poet laureate - I do hope the Alzheimerā€™s society magazine take note and start publishing before the big guns wade in!!

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
What a wonderful thought, @sdmhred "....it will bring laughs and smiles to commodes across the country and beyond!" I'll know I've really made it if that comes to pass. šŸ˜Š I'm sure it will. Will it go to my head? Hope not - but one can never tell. šŸ˜Œ

"....the big guns...."? A matter of weeks, I'd guess. šŸ˜

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
If I was a scientfic entrepreneur I would design a commode with a heated seat which was also suitable for the Prevention of pressure soresā€¦.it would also have a cup holder for mumā€™s cuppa and @colpatben ā€™s Patsyā€™s GnT.

It would also come with a blanket which could be draped over so the user could sit for hours in comfort, warmth and privacyā€¦

If @Neveradullday! came to some sort of loyalty arrangement the Tinkle Poem could also be added on to premium modelsā€¦ā€¦

And my wicked brain has just thought a second verse is also needed šŸ™ˆšŸ™ˆšŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
You're not coming, no siree.
Better turn the warm seat on,
"Cuppa tea with lemon bun?"

Drape a blanket on those knees,
Don't forget the G n T!šŸ„“

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ love Itā€¦ā€¦.but I was also thinking of a nu 2 šŸ™ˆšŸ™ˆšŸ™ˆšŸ™ˆšŸ™ˆ

but perhaps that would be dragging poetic skills down into the gutter far too much šŸ™ˆšŸ™ˆ