• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can be found in our area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

You can directly access this area >here<.

Trekking along the dementia trail with mum

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
I do like reading about you and your mum @Up the Creek. As @lemon Balm says you seems to have worked out how to keep her entertained and happy. The **** book idea sounds great. I'm also glad you didn't have any bother about her 'friends' not getting their Christmas cards either.
Now sounds a great time to introduce some care that can be increased when needed. Maybe pretend it's for your benefit rather than your mums.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I do like reading about you and your mum @Up the Creek. As @lemon Balm says you seems to have worked out how to keep her entertained and happy. The **** book idea sounds great. I'm also glad you didn't have any bother about her 'friends' not getting their Christmas cards either.
Now sounds a great time to introduce some care that can be increased when needed. Maybe pretend it's for your benefit rather than your mums.
I'm guessing you missed an S and got censored @Sarasa

I'm sure the book won't be that bad 😁😲

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Ooops, the censoring thing is quite fun if annoying when I wasn't intending to be rude, and I'm sure the book will be lovely. I brought one a while ago, a scrapbook that is, with the idea of putting some photos in for mum. Mum's eyesight is very bad and I don't thinks she could actually see the pictures, but I thought with captions at least the carers might have something to chat to mum about. I've collected some photos, but done nowt about it. Maybe I should go and do that now as I'm off to see mum tomorrow.

Hayley JS

Feb 20, 2020
Your **** book thread gave me a giggle and an idea my mum might like one too. I have one that a friend got me years ago and I've never used, time to dig it out and see. Thanks for the smile & the idea 😁

Up the Creek

Sep 9, 2020
East Anglia
It’s three weeks on from my last update, where has the time gone?

Mum’s still keeping herself busy and has spent most of the last few weeks reading. Card making has been put away and scrapbooking hasn’t really taken off yet. She has plenty of things to stick on the pages but I’m wondering if there is too much blank page and she doesn’t know where to start. I have bought her a dementia friendly coloring book and 35-piece jigsaw for her birthday. I know she will be enthusiastic with the colouring book and the jigsaw is more an activity for when I am able to get a companion-type carer to start visiting.

We haven’t had any house guests since Bob the cat’s visit back in September however we picked up a couple of hitchhikers when mum had her Covid vaccination at the surgery on Saturday…we now have the nice woman and man on the front of the ‘a guide for older adults’ staying with us :) I was starting to feel bad that she didn’t have anyone other than me to talk to (or my other me who is occasionally here). I have a good explanation for when it’s time for them to leave, they need to go back to the surgery to help the next people being vaccinated. But they can stay for now.

A couple of weeks ago I went to see if she fancied a cup of coffee and found her on the bathroom floor unable to get back up. It took best part of an hour to get her to crawl through to the sitting room and then bit by bit, cushion by cushion to get her back on the sofa and upright again. I think she needed to go to the toilet, but because she had been sitting too long that she couldn’t get to her feat, or they wouldn’t weight-bear so crawled through to the toilet, thinking once she was there, she’d be able to get back up off the floor. She hadn’t wanted to disturb me so hadn’t called out. I have now invested in an emergency lifting cushion to make rescue and recovery a bit quicker (there is sure to be another time when she will need picking up off the floor)

Do you remember my concerns that mum would want to physically hand Christmas cards to her TV friends? The day before her birthday she looked at the clock/calendar and declared ‘it’s my birthday tomorrow, I must find a way to let xxx (her favourite TV friend) know’. I distracted that thought with the offer to make a cup of coffee. However, that evening I made the mistake of putting on a DVD with xxx in it. After a while I could see her writing something out of the corner of my eye. She then stood up and held the note out towards the TV. :oops: Fortunately, the scene changed, and she sat down and didn’t try again. I sat staring at the TV trying to come up with something to say in reply to anything she might say, but she said nothing

Sunday, the day after her Covid vaccination she was very achy, sleepy and headachy and dozed a fair amount of the day (it only lasted 24 hours). Towards the evening I could hear one of her hearing aids squeaking as if was falling out of her ear. I got her up off the sofa and searched around but couldn’t find it, shook all her clothing and then she took it out of her mouth…’is this it?’ I give her a small bowl of mixed nuts each day to snack on. The hearing aid must have fallen out while she was dozing and she must have seen it and thought it was a cashew nut! It was probably the moisture from trying to eat it that made it squeak. Supposing she had swallowed it? I would have had to order a replacement as there is no way I would wait for it to reappear :eek:

It is now a year since mum first saw her doctor and had her referral to the memory clinic. She has a telephone appointment in two weeks for a dementia check-up. Looks like our surgery is reasonably proactive in keeping in touch with their dementia patients. I’m not sure how mum will feel about the call or what questions will be asked. Maybe I will get an extra nice lunch ready to make her feel better once the call has taken place. While we don’t mention the word at home, we can’t pretend it doesn’t exist because it ain’t gonna go away, is it?

angelict

Jan 16, 2020
You're doing a grand job my Mum isn't on any meds good luck with the phone call. Another helpful service to ring is Admiral Nurses 0800 888 6678. Take care

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
The pleasant couple you mention arrived at my house today, somehow they came through the letterbox! :D I must make an appointment!

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
I do like hearing about your mother @Up the Creek. You're doing a grand job at keeping her happy. Eek about the hearing aid. Not only a pain if she 'lost' it, eating a battery wouldn't do her power of good either.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dpdurham