OH cannot sleep

JHB

May 4, 2024
He went happily to bed but has been awake tossing and turning since 10:30 and it's now 02:40. I can tell from his eyes that he is exhausted. I have tried hot drink and biscuit and music with no success. This is not the first time this has happened and I expect he will continue like this for another 1 - 2 hours then fall asleep. which gives me the problem of when to wake him up in the morning. If I leave him to sleep until 10 or 11 we will repeat this tomorrow night ( or is that tonight ! :/ ) The only positive thing is I have done some ironing while he chats.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @JHB i wish that I had an answer to the lack of sleep issue for you but there is not an easy answer. Disrupted sleep patterns are very common in people with dementia.
My husband is similar to yours, he will watch YouTube videos when he can’t sleep often falling asleep with his headphones still on. Then he sleeps until 10 or 11 in the morning. I have just had to accept it as the new normal.
Doctors are reluctant to prescribe sleeping tablets due to the falls risk. My husband was prescribed Melatonin, which is supposed to work in a different way, it has not made any difference.
I am sorry not to be more positive but disturbed sleep patterns seem to be a dementia thing and you are not alone.
One last thing, also make sure that he is not too warm or cold as that can affect sleep patterns.
You do have my sympathy as these sleepless nights are also a pain for the carer.

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
Lack of sleep is an awful thing. I hope this resolves soon.

Warm jumpers on and morning coffee in the garden ? Daylight at this time thought to help regulate melanin

Un sure even as I type this that it is doable but so tough.

Wishing you well

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England

Warm jumpers on and morning coffee in the garden ? Daylight at this time thought to help regulate melanin

Wishing you well
Love this idea. It echoes the Scandinavian practice of putting even the smallest babies outside in their pram for hours for their naps. Even in the coldest of weather, but warmly dressed and covered. Apparently they all sleep very well (and again indoors at night) and thrive!
If it's not raining or otherwise inclement, get OH up and suitably dressed, coffee and or breakfast and or lunch in the garden, and let him sit and doze, and popping out to see him every now and again if you can't keep him in plain sight. Hope he sleeps like a Scandinavian baby with all that Vitamin D and light therapy.

JHB

May 4, 2024
Hello @JHB i wish that I had an answer to the lack of sleep issue for you but there is not an easy answer. Disrupted sleep patterns are very common in people with dementia.
My husband is similar to yours, he will watch YouTube videos when he can’t sleep often falling asleep with his headphones still on. Then he sleeps until 10 or 11 in the morning. I have just had to accept it as the new normal.
Doctors are reluctant to prescribe sleeping tablets due to the falls risk. My husband was prescribed Melatonin, which is supposed to work in a different way, it has not made any difference.
I am sorry not to be more positive but disturbed sleep patterns seem to be a dementia thing and you are not alone.
One last thing, also make sure that he is not too warm or cold as that can affect sleep patterns.
You do have my sympathy as these sleepless nights are also a pain for the carer.
thank you and for the sympathy! He has slept until 10 this morning and woken up bright eyed and bushy tailed! You tube videos won't work sadly as he can't follow whats happening and gets bored - well atm I haven't found anything he can enjoy. Same for tv. I have to sit and watch with him talking about what is happening.

JHB

May 4, 2024

Wishing you well
thank you

JHB

May 4, 2024
Love this idea. It echoes the Scandinavian practice of putting even the smallest babies outside in their pram for hours for their naps. Even in the coldest of weather, but warmly dressed and covered. Apparently they all sleep very well (and again indoors at night) and thrive!
If it's not raining or otherwise inclement, get OH up and suitably dressed, coffee and or breakfast and or lunch in the garden, and let him sit and doze, and popping out to see him every now and again if you can't keep him in plain sight. Hope he sleeps like a Scandinavian baby with all that Vitamin D and light therapy.
I used to put our babies in the garden in their pram and they slept well. Still do. He is in the garden most of the day though not sitting or dozing. He HAS to be doing something and something useful. All the shrubs have been pruned several times, the lawn edges cut and then recut so the flower beds are getting bigger! the paths are regularly swept. The garden is standing to attention with very short back and sides !!!!! You would think with all the fresh air and work that would help him fall asleep but not last night.

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
I would make an appointment with the GP. I know from discussions with a senior carer that mirtazapine is widely prescribed in care homes on the evening just prior to sleep.

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
You tube videos won't work sadly as he can't follow whats happening and gets bored - well atm I haven't found anything he can enjoy. Same for tv. I have to sit and watch with him talking about what is happening.
Could you find him something like a YouTube broadcast of a fish tank or beach scene? There are some lovely live feeds from America and Australia of tropical beaches and harbours. I also like ones from African game reserves, where there are daytime and nightime cameras on a waterhole and you can watch in real time as a whole range of wildlife comes to drink. Basically, something that doesn’t have a plot to follow or dialogue, but just an interesting and changing view.