Early onset dementia

Maddie2508

May 30, 2024
Hello,

My dad got diagnosed recently with early onset dementia (Alzheimer’s) he’s 64, I’m 21, an only child and a Speech and Language Therapist by profession, I have worked with dementia patients through work and have a high level of knowledge on the condition, which seems to make it harder for me to process his diagnosis. I’m finding it hard to find others who are my age with a parent with dementia and am struggling to come to terms with dads diagnosis and what I can do to help me process it.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It always makes it harder when it`s your own, @Maddie2508 , even more so when you know a lot about the condition.

I hope you will find some comfort from others on the forum.

If you start your own thread in the section Younger people with dementia and their carers, it might help.

jcsco

Jun 11, 2024
Hello,

My dad got diagnosed recently with early onset dementia (Alzheimer’s) he’s 64, I’m 21, an only child and a Speech and Language Therapist by profession, I have worked with dementia patients through work and have a high level of knowledge on the condition, which seems to make it harder for me to process his diagnosis. I’m finding it hard to find others who are my age with a parent with dementia and am struggling to come to terms with dads diagnosis and what I can do to help me process it.

Hello,

Hello,

hi maddie,

im 21 too and my mum has Alzheimer's at 53. like yourself I'm still struggling to process it as the decline has happened quite quickly over the last few years.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Our youngest was only 16 when we/I packed him off to live with his big sister as the situation had become so stressful for him.
Wife got early onset and it was messing him up dealing with it, big sister has been his stand in mum for over half his life now, and all credit to her she has made a seriously good job of it.
I picked my wife as my partner, they didn't pick us as parents, they're our kids not our carers. K

Becca1988

Jul 4, 2024
Hello,

Hi I don’t know where you’re located but I’m in the north east and I’m trying to start a group for people affected by early onset I have started a thread please know you’re not alone

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Here’s @Becca1988’s thread -

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to the forum @jcsco I hope you find others here who you can identify with.

There is a section for younger people with dementia and their carers which might be helpful for you.

If you would care to start your own Thread you might get the support you need.

Kdickson3012

May 19, 2024
Hi I’m 38 and my mum is 57 and has rapidly declined with early onset Alzheimer’s now Waiting for a care plan and been sent a list of homes to look at. Feel free to tap in and chat we all need it xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome from me too @Kdickson3012

It`s not easy finding care homes for people as young as your mum. I wish you luck and hope you live somewhere where the facilities are good.

Do you have someone to share the responsibility with you?

Kdickson3012

May 19, 2024
No my dad died suddenly 14 years ago aged 44 and I am an only child. I have my own family husband, 3 children but ultimately everything re my mum falls to me at the moment 🥹