Oh brother

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Another one who is butting in and you may have tried this too; please ignore me if you have. My mum was a night-time wanderer/sundowner and her care home used to give her 2 paracetamol before bed. I was surprised when they told me that this is what they did, but, apparently, it helps PWDs to settle.

I have tried this Canary, but it did not seem to make a noticeable difference, although I have just given her 2 because she does suffer from back trouble - probably down to all the walking/wandering she does and prolapse must be giving her some pain. A year ago I was giving mum some night nurse, this helped, have not done this for a while, but may just try some tonight, if she is in pain at bedtime it will at least help.

We both had an hour's sleep this afternoon, I doubt if this will make any difference to sleeping tonight, we were both so tired and I could not keep her awake to try would have just been cruel and anyway I needed some sleep.

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Oh Tin you must be so tired. Dog-tired. And the dog. Tired. I do hope that you are in for a more settled spell very soon x

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I am so sorry to hear about all of this. There is nothing worse than constant tiredness :(
I do hope you both manage to get some sleep tonight.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I give mum one Paracetamol at night too. Again, a bit like the Chamomile, I don't know if it helps or not, but she always asks for one at night and the GP said it was fine. Even if the Chamomile tea and Paracetamol help a tiny, tiny bit, then I'm grateful. Night wandering and sleepless nights for the carer must be what tips a lot of people over into moving their PWD into a care home, and I can understand why, having experienced it, and coming close to doing this myself.

If you find anything that helped in the past Tin, try it again. I got to the point of seeking a Herbalist/Homeopath recently, didn't have to in the end, but it's something I have yet to investigate if mum's anxiety starts to affect her sleeping again.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I give mum one Paracetamol at night too. Again, a bit like the Chamomile, I don't know if it helps or not, but she always asks for one at night and the GP said it was fine. Even if the Chamomile tea and Paracetamol help a tiny, tiny bit, then I'm grateful. Night wandering and sleepless nights for the carer must be what tips a lot of people over into moving their PWD into a care home, and I can understand why, having experienced it, and coming close to doing this myself.

If you find anything that helped in the past Tin, try it again. I got to the point of seeking a Herbalist/Homeopath recently, didn't have to in the end, but it's something I have yet to investigate if mum's anxiety starts to affect her sleeping again.

Apart from first half hour in and out of bed, she was finally asleep by 10pm. Really hate putting her to bed because I get so anxious - will she, won't she stay there. woke around midnight to use commode panic a bit for me thinking she would be up half the night, but no, she went straight back to bed and I managed 7 hours.

You are right, I should look back at things I used to do, I did give her one paracetamol last night. From now on I am going to give her half a sleeping pill 4 nights a week, every other night. Do not think that is too much, if it is then gp will tell me so when I request a fresh lot. I do remember having a conversation with Dr Hands at memory clinic and he said that ideally only 2 a week, as I am cutting them in half then that's 4 nights.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
How are you and your mum doing Tin? Has she settled a bit at night? I hope you've found a way to get some rest and sleep yourself.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
How are you and your mum doing Tin? Has she settled a bit at night? I hope you've found a way to get some rest and sleep yourself.

Morning Marnie, we have had 3 good nights, 2 with half a sleeping pill and one without - so far so good. Spoke to gp yesterday, wanted to know why the restriction on Zopiclone and she reminded me what I have forgotten but she hasn't - in the past I had noticed and reported that the lean mum develops usually comes after using these extra 'calming' medications, maybe too much because I have been desperate for sleep, although I pointed out don't think Zopiclone is part of this. Definitely lorazepam and diazepam and of course it happened when Mum started taking Sulpiride. The lean got bad this weekend, so there has to be a connection. I get so tired that I forget what I have observed and reported back.

Outcome, mum now has Zopiclone on repeat prescription, but I am still to use sparingly. So fingers crossed. She is standing straight today.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I'm sure there are others on TP who use Zopiclone all the time with no issues - maybe Marionq or LynneMcV?

I also think I've read about falls when using it but you don't seem to have noticed any issues when you use it.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I'm sure there are others on TP who use Zopiclone all the time with no issues - maybe Marionq or LynneMcV?

I also think I've read about falls when using it but you don't seem to have noticed any issues when you use it.

No you are right, I have never had issues with Zopiclone, but at some point gp has boxed it with other medications I mentioned. Thankfully it is now on repeat and I will be able to use more often. Also giving mum 2 Paracetamol in the afternoon and then one before she goes to bed, occasionally will go back to night nurse.

With everything Dementia, the sleepless nights are my only issue, everything else I can deal and cope with. With the sleepless nights it is a 'Jeykil and Hyde' thing [excuse spelling].

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Good to hear something is working Tin. The sleepless nights were very, very hard for me so I know how difficult that situation is. Any chance you could add in a Chamomile tea each evening if the other things are calming your mum enough for her to drink it?!

I have Valerian and Passionflower as herbal ideas in mind if I have to give mum something for anxiety again. I still have plenty of Lorazepam, which is the only thing which really worked, but that definitely was causing more confusion with mum recently. It would be interesting to see what effect herbal remedies would have, but I'm not going to try them unless I have to. In fact, I haven't even bought them yet, and I did read regarding both that they cannot be used long term, the same as Lorazepam, but at least they would be more 'natural' and might not have side effects, though may not be strong enough, or even work!

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I have Valerian on my mind too, I did try it last year, but we had a massive dose of diarrhoea in the middle of the night, same with Nytol. maybe a smaller dose would work, I just want to ease the anxiety that stops her from falling asleep that then escalates in to something horrible. So am trying to source smells rather than anything taken orally. Lavender in my garden full of flower so she has some of that under her pillow plus Lavender oil. Will get some Lavender sweets for her to take during the day. No go with Chamomile tea, tried last night and she poured it into cat litter tray!

She has been in bed for half hour and seems to be fast asleep, so been lucky for the last few nights that things have worked, although this may all be down to her being so tired from the endless wandering and sleepless nights over the last few weeks that she just had to get some sleep. Time will tell. I will have to get her up at midnight to use the commode, we have had one of those days when she has not spent a penny.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Tin, I bought an aromatherapy diffuser some time ago. I haven't used it in a while. I actually bought it when mum had a really bad chest infection so I was using Rosemary oil and then Eucalyptus oil to help with her breathing. I have Lavender oil as well. It really makes the house smell lovely! I must buy a better diffuser though as I bought a cheapie in a hurry from ebay and it's quite noisy.

Anything is worth a try!

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Tin, I bought an aromatherapy diffuser some time ago. I haven't used it in a while. I actually bought it when mum had a really bad chest infection so I was using Rosemary oil and then Eucalyptus oil to help with her breathing. I have Lavender oil as well. It really makes the house smell lovely! I must buy a better diffuser though as I bought a cheapie in a hurry from ebay and it's quite noisy.

Anything is worth a try!

Thanks for that tip. Just checked out Neals Yard. with price in mind and not wanting to get caught buying a cheaper model, think I have found one that will suit cost £55, hopefully free delivery and do not know yet if it includes a starter pack of oils. Going to telephone before ordering online. We have a health shop in town and they do sell some Neals Yard products so going to check them out. Whatever I do will have purchased one by the weekend.

Mum slept ok last night, although was up around midnight to use commode and again at 2, then up very early - very wet, so I changed pants made sure she had a cup of tea and biscuit, then I went back to bed, nothing planned for today and as it was raining when I got up, decided this will be an at home day.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Let me know how you get on with the NY one Tin - mine was only around £16 and you definitely get what you pay for (I should have learned that by now!).

I bought my oils from Boots - they have a good selection on line. I don't really know one brand of aromatherapy oil from another, but they certainly seem good. I expect NY are very good too. I like some of their lotions and potions.

Hope your mum continues to remain a little more settled so you can get a bit more rest yourself.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Finally bought one from Holland and Barrett, the make and model I wanted also got some Lavender and Jasmine oil. The smell is amazing, but only time will tell if it works in mum's bedroom, if not it will be going into my kitchen!

Caught mum plotting with the dog this morning, it went like this " Don't tell her, but I will get us both out of here soon". No panic tpers this does not bother me anymore, She has plotted with the dog almost from day one.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Recently noticed the return of mum's mean streak, caught her today sort of shaking a dining room chair then I realised there was a cat sitting on it, being quite sneaky about it too, as soon as I walked back into dining room she stopped and started stroking the cat, turn my back and she is shaking the chair again. Had moments like this in the past. Of course I will not let her hurt the cats. but I hope this is one of those things that will disappear tomorrow. Naughty old girl!

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Hope it disappears too, that'll be difficult to police. Pre dementia did your mum like the cats? X

Before dementia yes, did like cats, generally an animal lover, but all that has changed. I think most of the time she ignores them. There is a horse and pony in the field next to me and they regularly put their heads over the wall to eat the Lemon balm, but I really do believe that she is not even aware of them anymore. The cats are still willing to sit on her lap or go to bed with her, but of course she will not let them, always saving the space for her little dog I suppose. She does still point out the dogs that we come across.

When she arrived here I really thought that having all the domestic pets I then had would be therapeutic, that she would help me look after them, but she really did not know what to do. I think that if there was a time when she would enjoy caring for them, it passed before she came to live with me.