Nursing homes

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Oh, Aisling. Nature abhors a vacuum. Just what you needed!

You sound very self-sufficient ... wouldja get a plumber tho'?

Did you get any sleep?

Temper dragged bed out!! Bed is totally ruined. How water got into bed is a mystery!? I am a bit suspicious because the ensuite is in bedroom. Suspicious minds. Plumber tomorrow! Then am going to let room dry out completely and not look into it.
Tim is settling TG. I keep going by visiting, meetings etc. so many meetings. After that I only see immediate family who check in to see that I am alive. Outlaws gossiping and spreading rumours. Apparently I didn't mind Tim properly! Some neighbours saying that they were worried Tim could have been killed on the road. Eek....eek.....
I am an angry little weasel.......

I don't understand people anymore.

Take care,

Aisling xx

MollyD

Mar 27, 2016
Ireland
Gawd. Ha. I know that hulk strength in anger alright :D.

Hopefully it's a straightforward problem and plumber sorts it easily (and cheaply).

My mum encountered the exact same **** from people when trying to look after one of her brothers. He was schizophrenic and his behaviours were unmanageable when not taking his meds. One neighbour informed mum that she "was a christian and would look out for him properly if he were her brother". What she didn't know was just how much mum did for him, how much she sacrificed on his account, how he was ultimately the safest and most contented he could be thanks to mum... and how thankless the years of work/care involved really were.

Words and gossip are cheap.

You're not a bitter little weasel. You're rightly galled and hurt. It's unlikely to change if that is their uninformed mindset. You need to look after yourself... and start looking for a new bed.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Gawd. Ha. I know that hulk strength in anger alright :D.

Hopefully it's a straightforward problem and plumber sorts it easily (and cheaply).

My mum encountered the exact same **** from people when trying to look after one of her brothers. He was schizophrenic and his behaviours were unmanageable when not taking his meds. One neighbour informed mum that she "was a christian and would look out for him properly if he were her brother". What she didn't know was just how much mum did for him, how much she sacrificed on his account, how he was ultimately the safest and most contented he could be thanks to mum... and how thankless the years of work/care involved really were.

Words and gossip are cheap.

You're not a bitter little weasel. You're rightly galled and hurt. It's unlikely to change if that is their uninformed mindset. You need to look after yourself... and start looking for a new bed.[/

People with no experience have no idea but are full of advice!! Deliver me from them!!

Bed?? I couldn't believe the prices. The damaged / useless bed was 4 and a half foot wide. A bit big for room so in the distant future I might consider getting a four foot bed.
Probably have problems getting bed clothes then

Aisling xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
If it's a spare room, just get a single bed. Better yet, get yourself an exercise bike or something and put it in that room!

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
If it's a spare room, just get a single bed. Better yet, get yourself an exercise bike or something and put it in that room!

Hi Lady A,

Me! With an exercise bike??? You can always make me smile. Thank you. More likely to see pigs flying than me on an exercise bike.

Aisling xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
And why not? I have a treadmill in a spare room for taking walks on in bad weather. Use it or lose it! :D

Ellaroo

Nov 16, 2015
Liverpool
Follow your instincts , as we all know this is most evil disease .
Apply for CHC , may be awarded ot Nd dont have to,pay any fees as NHs pay in full care home charges.
Thinking of you x

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
13th June 2016

Hi everyone,

My OH is settling into Nursing Home very well TG. It is a dream place for him surrounded by acres and acres of green fields. Cattle, horses and even a donkey which he can see everyday. Staff are excellent and no patronisation. He is called by his name, no " lovey, sweetly" etc. health care is excellent and I am consulted every step of the way. Doctors on call 24/7 and they are very good . Large airy sitting rooms, small sitting room if people want to chat privately. Wide corridors and residents free to walk around. Activities yes but always focused on what the resident wants to do. Chair in Nurses office for him as he likes to chat to her sometimes. Totally secure and safe. Brilliant constant discreet observation. Brilliant view. He has comfortable bedroom with the usual stuff, TV etc. I am gathering a few extra things for his room eg some photographs etc. food is excellent. He can have breakfast in bed. Served at time that suits him! Visiting barber, chiropodist, physiotherapist, speech and Language therapist. A lovely enclosed garden where T helps with planting.

Thank God I kept searching around as none of the professionalism told me about this place. I have visited many places, some with the baskets of soap etc....... But lacking something which is hard to explain...... Homeliness is the word I think and a tangible sense of care. When I arrive at door, everyone knows my name.

It has been a hectic week with meetings, forms etc. Today I signed all the necessary bank forms. Am telling people around when I see them. I won't go in to the gossip or how much people seem to know etc!! Very hurtful things. Then opinions re what I should do ..... Go for beauty treatments, coffee shops, holiday etc etc. I have learned to walk briskly when out so really haven't time to answer questions or listen to their opinions

An in law who never came to see T is now visiting him and offering to take people to see him. Singing like a canary around the village. I think people think from his reports that T is on his last legs!! He might get a sore throat soon eek....eek.....eek. Yes I care.. It is so hurtful but my pride wouldn't let me show that side of me. The last time he went in at **** crow, T was tired and told him " I don't want to see ........ anyone"

I know T needed full time care and nursing and he is certainly getting it.

Me? Am breaking apart...... Crying as I write.... Alone at night..... Little support... In laws won't tell me when they are going to visit as then I could organise my visits around their visits and ensure that T has someone every day. Brilliant sister but she is battling her own health problems now. I have two great male friends and one female so when I get totally out of it I can shout for help.

During this awful time I now know who my friends are and I am blessed with them.

I have to sign off now as Ipad is in danger of getting drowned with tears. We can't be having that...... Or indeed pink flying elephants!!

A huge thank you to all my TP friends for such great support both on thread and to the people who contacted me by PM when I was totally in my cave or too tormented to even post. You are stars who shine so brightly in the darkest of nights. Blessings to all of you.

Aisling xxxxxxxx

jorgieporgie

Mar 2, 2016
YORKSHIRE
Sending my big hug too Aisling. So pleased T is settling must be a big weight of your shoulders. That home sounds perfect, wish I could find one here as nice. Take care xxx

longshanks

Aug 26, 2014
Nursing Homes dilemma

Hello, Aislng,

how ironic that you should be feeling like this when my Dad, (85 yrs old next month), who has been caring for my Mum at home for the last six years, after diagnosis of dementia
has just this week booked my Mum a room in a (hopefully!) lovely Nursing Home, fairly local to where they live.

She has been in Hospital for the last six weeks, originally taken in with an infection (urinary), caught a chest infection whilst in Hospital and then after being told that the physiotherapists could do nothing for her in the way of a rehab. centre, has been confined to bed, (occasionally getting up to sit in a chair), with little conversation other than my Dad's daily visits, usually with either a friend or a relation in tow.

Knowing that he could no longer care for Mum and it being suggested that he had a live-in carer for Mum, which he did not want, he had to make the difficult decision to hunt for a Nursing Home.

The first one (even more local to their home) did not cater for dementia, so the search began again.

Am in a total muddle. Mind in turmoil. I am so amazed at the many people who care for their loved ones at home. The words familiar surroundings breaks my heart. OH does not really know where home is but perhaps on a deep level, he is aware of it.

Very few people seem to have loves ones in CH or NH and if they have, are spending long hours in CH or NH with them. What on earth is wrong with me that I don't seem to have the courage/ backbone/ whatever to know I can care continuously when other people are coping with end of life care at home? Am angry with myself as I never backed away from challenges before or didn't finish whatever I set out to do.

If I decide on NC, then after I die, home etc will be sold to pay remaining loan for NS. I will be depriving my son of inheriting his home.

Am now wondering if I could get private carer to help me? And continue as long as I can manage it financially?

Respite have said that it is impossible for me to continue but of course it is up to me.They had to give OH extra supervision this week.

A man who was so involved with all aspects of life and now just fixated on tiny things. No sustained interest in anything and he looks so lost. I feel so guilty even posting this message. I can't do anything today... Nothing. Sitting under duvet....crying. Trying to make up my mind...will I post this msge or not? I don't want to upset anyone on forum. I can only admire how amazing everyone is.

Please if possible can someone tell me how I can continue to care for him at home like so many of you do? I completely understand if there are no replies to this post. Honestly. No offence will be taken. I just need to write it down. Yea I could pop it into a notebook. Maybe in some small way, this post will help someone else who may be in the same situation. If OH is in NH, then I know I will want to be with him every day. Then I will still not give myself a chance to feel better and stronger. I admire those of you who have people in Nursing homes and spend long hours every day with them.

Am so angry as well that there is little health care for vulnerable people, having worked for a lifetime, paid taxes etc and then at the end their home has to be sold for health care.

What skills do I need to develop? What am I missing? But as I have already said, I understand. Sometimes there are questions but no answer?

To all of you who have helped me this far on my journey, thank you.

Aisling

longshanks

Aug 26, 2014
Nursing Homes dilemma

Hello, Aislng,

how ironic that you should be feeling like this when my Dad, (85 yrs old next month), who has been caring for my Mum at home for the last six years, after diagnosis of dementia
has just this week booked my Mum a room in a (hopefully!) lovely Nursing Home, fairly local to where they live.

Mum has been in Hospital for the last six weeks, originally taken in with an infection (urinary), caught a chest infection whilst in Hospital and then after being told that the physiotherapists could do nothing for her in the way of a rehab. centre, has been confined to bed, (occasionally getting up to sit in a chair), with little conversation, other than my Dad's daily visits, usually with either a friend or a relation in tow.

Knowing that he could no longer care for Mum and it being suggested that he had a live-in carer for Mum, which he did not want, he had to make the difficult decision to hunt for a Nursing Home.

The first one (even more local to their home) did not cater for dementia, so the search began again.

Circumstances went our way; unfortunately, a resident had died the very weekend before my Dad enquired on the Monday and accompanied by a cousin of Mum's, they went to view the room.

There are a hundred residents apparently, with the oap's with Dementia on the first floor - there is even in indoor bowling team, so we are hoping for an improvement when my
Mum leaves Hospital - she has put on a huge amount of weight, whilst at home living with Das, as she would eat everything that was put in front of her and did no exercise and she has even gained a little more weight in the Hospital.

We only hope that the home has a good Dietician, who will adjust Mum's diet and that she will mix socially, once she's settled and we really hope that they can get her moving around again.

Do not feel guilty that you cannot do it all, as eventually you will experience what I've heard called 'Carer Burn-Out'.

You must consider your health and if your son does not inherit your property, I'm sure he will understand that you could not just go on and on caring forever.... either that, or you get him involved, if he is not living abroad!

Good luck to you, Aisling.

kind regards,

Longshanks.

Am in a total muddle. Mind in turmoil. I am so amazed at the many people who care for their loved ones at home. The words familiar surroundings breaks my heart. OH does not really know where home is but perhaps on a deep level, he is aware of it.

Very few people seem to have loves ones in CH or NH and if they have, are spending long hours in CH or NH with them. What on earth is wrong with me that I don't seem to have the courage/ backbone/ whatever to know I can care continuously when other people are coping with end of life care at home? Am angry with myself as I never backed away from challenges before or didn't finish whatever I set out to do.

If I decide on NC, then after I die, home etc will be sold to pay remaining loan for NS. I will be depriving my son of inheriting his home.

Am now wondering if I could get private carer to help me? And continue as long as I can manage it financially?

Respite have said that it is impossible for me to continue but of course it is up to me.They had to give OH extra supervision this week.

A man who was so involved with all aspects of life and now just fixated on tiny things. No sustained interest in anything and he looks so lost. I feel so guilty even posting this message. I can't do anything today... Nothing. Sitting under duvet....crying. Trying to make up my mind...will I post this msge or not? I don't want to upset anyone on forum. I can only admire how amazing everyone is.

Please if possible can someone tell me how I can continue to care for him at home like so many of you do? I completely understand if there are no replies to this post. Honestly. No offence will be taken. I just need to write it down. Yea I could pop it into a notebook. Maybe in some small way, this post will help someone else who may be in the same situation. If OH is in NH, then I know I will want to be with him every day. Then I will still not give myself a chance to feel better and stronger. I admire those of you who have people in Nursing homes and spend long hours every day with them.

Am so angry as well that there is little health care for vulnerable people, having worked for a lifetime, paid taxes etc and then at the end their home has to be sold for health care.

What skills do I need to develop? What am I missing? But as I have already said, I understand. Sometimes there are questions but no answer?

To all of you who have helped me this far on my journey, thank you.

Aisling

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Hello, Aislng,

Mum has been in Hospital for the last six weeks, originally taken in with an infection (urinary), caught a chest infection whilst in Hospital and then after being told that the physiotherapists could do nothing for her in the way of a rehab. centre, has been confined to bed, (occasionally getting up to sit in a chair), with little conversation, other than my Dad's daily visits, usually with either a friend or a relation in tow.

Circumstances went our way; unfortunately, a resident had died the very weekend before my Dad enquired on the Monday and accompanied by a cousin of Mum's, they went to view the room.

There are a hundred residents apparently, with the oap's with Dementia on the first floor - there is even in indoor bowling team, so we are hoping for an improvement when my
Mum leaves Hospital - she has put on a huge amount of weight, whilst at home living with Das, as she would eat everything that was put in front of her and did no exercise and she has even gained a little more weight in the Hospital.

We only hope that the home has a good Dietician, who will adjust Mum's diet and that she will mix socially, once she's settled and we really hope that they can get her moving around again.

Do not feel guilty that you cannot do it all, as eventually you will experience what I've heard called 'Carer Burn-Out'.

You must consider your health and if your son does not inherit your property, I'm sure he will understand that you could not just go on and on caring forever.... either that, or you get him involved, if he is not living abroad!

Good luck to you, Aisling.

kind regards,

Longshanks.

I am sure everything will go well for your Mum. Everyone is so different and the Nursing Home sounds good. Am sure the food will be very good too.

Thank you for your good wishes. My son understands everything.

Let me know how things go for your Mum.

Aisling xx

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Hi everyone,

Two friends came out tonight. It was great to talk and talk...... They actively listen and that is so good. No jumping in with " what I should be doing......" T knew them well and they are going to visit him.

I am getting more bits and pieces for his room and getting a family photo for him. Anyone know where I could get a cushion/ cover with a picture of a horse on it?

Aisling xxxxxxxxxxxx

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
Hi everyone,

Two friends came out tonight. It was great to talk and talk...... They actively listen and that is so good. No jumping in with " what I should be doing......" T knew them well and they are going to visit him.

I am getting more bits and pieces for his room and getting a family photo for him. Anyone know where I could get a cushion/ cover with a picture of a horse on it?

Aisling xxxxxxxxxxxx

DearAisling - I follow your threads but dont often post , but i think you're amazing.

If you have a favourite photo of a horse, there are firms that will put it on cushion or blanket for you - in fact you can have a photo put on anything these days. In my husbands care home there is a lady who's relatives have made her a blanket with her favourite dog on and cushions with her grandchildren on. If you want one ready made just try googling - I have found that Amazon have nearly everything that I have googled - even obscure things. xxxx

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...es+on&sprefix=cushions+with+horses+on,aps,540