Nursing homes

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Hi everyone,

I don't know what to say or do at this point. My OH is now in full time care in a Nursing home.

Aisling

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi everyone,

I don't know what to say or do at this point. My OH is now in full time care in a Nursing home.

Aisling

It is very hard Aisling but you have some help now. It will take time for both you and your husband to settle into this new way of life. Hopefully there will be no great upsets though expect the odd hiccup. As you know I am now the other side of nursing care and I am finding life without the nursing home hard to accept. Nothing is simple with dementia so be kind to yourself and carry on caring as you always have.

Take care.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Aw, it's a weird feeling isn't it Aisling? And it probably won't hit you for a few weeks, because, like William, T has been in and out of respite a lot in recent months hasn't he? So just be prepared for it to hit you hard in a few weeks, when the realisation sinks in that this time it's permanent.

Well done - you have battled through and got your husband the care he needs.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Aw, it's a weird feeling isn't it Aisling? And it probably won't hit you for a few weeks, because, like William, T has been in and out of respite a lot in recent months hasn't he? So just be prepared for it to hit you hard in a few weeks, when the realisation sinks in that this time it's permanent.

Well done - you have battled through and got your husband the care he needs.

Thank you Jaymor, Cat and Lady A. Have meeting in NH in morning to sign DD, meet doctor and S n L therapist. I have finished an album of photoes n info re T.

Am in a sort of limbo. The only thing I know is that T is in a good place and I trust the staff.

I can't understand my utter exhaustion. Seem to have the body clock of a ferret!

Aisling xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I can't understand my utter exhaustion. Seem to have the body clock of a ferret!

Aisling xx

I can. It's completely understandable. It will take you quite a while to adjust to the fact that you can now relax - T is safe, and will be cared for. You can now sleep - you don't have to keep one eye and one ear open. You can now give your attention to whatever it is that you are doing - you don't have to try and do things with most of your attention on T. For me, it was the absolute luxury - the sheer hedonistic pleasure - of ............................................................................................................................................
relaxing in a bath for as long as I liked!! :D :D Indeed, relaxing in a bath at all was a luxury - and still is!

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
I can. It's completely understandable. It will take you quite a while to adjust to the fact that you can now relax - T is safe, and will be cared for. You can now sleep - you don't have to keep one eye and one ear open. You can now give your attention to whatever it is that you are doing - you don't have to try and do things with most of your attention on T. For me, it was the absolute luxury - the sheer hedonistic pleasure - of ............................................................................................................................................
relaxing in a bath for as long as I liked!! :D :D Indeed, relaxing in a bath at all was a luxury - and still is!

Thank you.

Aisling xx

jorgieporgie

Mar 2, 2016
YORKSHIRE
I didn't know how gut wrenching this would be for me. Permanently exhausted.

Aisling

You will be Aisling my SIL was more exhausted when her Husband was in CH than when he was at home. It is the long visits and I bet your spending as much time with him as possible. Plus I bet your not sleeping properly. Try and have some me time for yourself, the hard part has been done and he is well cared for. Look after yourself now Aisling.xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
You will be Aisling my SIL was more exhausted when her Husband was in CH than when he was at home. It is the long visits and I bet your spending as much time with him as possible. Plus I bet your not sleeping properly. Try and have some me time for yourself, the hard part has been done and he is well cared for. Look after yourself now Aisling.xx

Yep - this.
You will take some time to get into your new rhythm. Plus you have a lot of years of exhaustion to get over. Take your time, and take it easy. Nothing will go away!

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Yep - this.
You will take some time to get into your new rhythm. Plus you have a lot of years of exhaustion to get over. Take your time, and take it easy. Nothing will go away!

Thanks again Lady A. Without TP I could go stark raving mad!!

Aisling xx

MollyD

Mar 27, 2016
Ireland
Just holding you in my thoughts, Aisling. Don't know what else to say. You are such a support to me. Hope you find ways to be supported yourself. ♡

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Aisling we are all being forced to accept a life, a situation, a job that we don't want, never envisaged and there is nothing we can do. So it is understandable that you are feeling low and lost.

Be kind to yourself and accept that this, in time, will pass and as the days and weeks pass you will adjust to a new way of living and you both will be fine. T still needs you, to care and look after him, you still have lots to do. So hang on in there, take your time and there will be light at the end of the tunnel. We are all standing there with torches waiting for you to come through:)

Thinking of you
Xx

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Aisling we are all being forced to accept a life, a situation, a job that we don't want, never envisaged and there is nothing we can do. So it is understandable that you are feeling low and lost.

Be kind to yourself and accept that this, in time, will pass and as the days and weeks pass you will adjust to a new way of living and you both will be fine. T still needs you, to care and look after him, you still have lots to do. So hang on in there, take your time and there will be light at the end of the tunnel. We are all standing there with torches waiting for you to come through:)

Thinking of you
Xx

Thank you so much Molly and Jaymor. Keep the torches switched on for me.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Have just discover a small problem last night! Relatively small! Huge lock of water under bed in spare bedroom!! Apparently radiator has been leaking ( small drops ) over the past year. Drops have turned into a mini lake. I might get some ducks!

The upshot is wet has seeped up side of bed, clothes all wet and damp on skirting boards! Bed destroyed.

In the grand scale of things it is minor. I dragged bed out to shed. Pulled up Lino and may leave it all to dry out now. I suppose I may get a plumber too. Might be a good idea!

MollyD

Mar 27, 2016
Ireland
Oh, Aisling. Nature abhors a vacuum. Just what you needed!

You sound very self-sufficient ... wouldja get a plumber tho'?

Did you get any sleep?