Not dealing very well with sibling bullying

WoolyWednesday

Jan 19, 2022
My local Dementia support has suggested I come here to offload so eventually, I've mustered up the courage to put pen to paper so to speak.
Since my father passed away in November 2015 I've been helping out with Mum. She was showing signs of dementia back then and every few months I would talk to her about talking to the GP about going to the memory clinic so she could start on medication and we could get help for her. She eventually talked to the GP about it last October. Obviously, 5 years down the line, she has deteriorated and has no memory of talking to her GP and all the following test and appointment are now my doing and my 'fault'.
In these 5 years, I've made sure that she was fed and exercised and that her mental and emotional welllbeing looked after and did a quick lick in the bathrooms or hoovered if things looked a bit rough but had to do this without her knowing otherwise she'd become angry.
In 2018 I was diagnosed with breast cancer having been to the hospital 3 years previously with the lump significantly smaller. I'd been living with cancer during that time and looking back was struggling with my day to day activity quite significantly. Sadly nobody noticed, and being a single parent, I just plodded on. During my treatment, I'm sad to say that my family showed very little compassion and even less support, being the single parent and therefore a black sheep in a family of never divorcing among I'm sure many other implied reasons, I obviously didn't deserve either support or compassion. Apparently this is not uncommon for people going through cancer treatment. But since I'm the black sheep and sadly regularly treated as something they've found at the bottom of their shoes, my care of my mother was unrecognized, insignificant and of no value. Roll on a few weeks into treatment and I'm barely able to care for myself and my little girl let alone my Mum. My brother who has inherited the family home and family business, who had booted my parents out of their living room before my father had even passed away to create an office for himself, was there every single day, especially to sit at the family table expecting his lunch from his Mum. My sister, who lives an hour away visited once a week. My Mum started to loose weight and within a few months, there were complaints from my brother that she and her house looked a mess and that I should do something about it. I was suffering from the after effects of the cancer treatment and I was told by my brother that 'people who go through cancer do complaint a lot don't they', which gives you an idea of what I'm dealing with and why he thought that I should be looking after our mother single handed. To give you an idea of the relationship I have with my Mum, after my second operation, I collapsed in pain while she was in my home, she stepped over me, turn to smile at me and told me, 'I'm going to make a cup of tea for the men' and walked out leaving me on the floor on my own in the house with my 5 yr old daughter. I could go on about family dynamics but I think you get the just of it.
Fast forward to the last few months, now that the process of the memory clinic and all that goes with that ball rolling, my siblings seem to now recognise how much care Mum needs and because outside agencies are in the process of being involved and all of a sudden want to really be involved in her care and that we should all be communicating about the appointments that I'm taking care of and managing. Maybe there's guilt or maybe compassion has eventually kicked in, whatever it is, it's very much welcomed. What isn't welcomed is this sense from my brother that it's completely acceptable and normal to bark commands at me as if I'm a member of his staff. I understand that it may be difficult living in a small community and having such a large number of staff and family members working for you that you become unaccustomed to not having people say 'how high' when you bark 'jump' at them. I also understand that when you've spent your life throwing your rattle when you didn't get your own way and having your Mum pander to your every need is a difficult pattern to come out of and that signing up your eldest sister to step into that short stringed mother role is an easy option. That stepping into whatever role available for the elder sister is inviting when they've spent their life so blatantly and unapologetically unloved by their own mother even if that role is to enable the other sibling to continue their derision and bully tactics on me. After verbal attacks from my brother, I've been specifically told that I'm not to talk to anyone else about his behaviour. It's become unbearable, hence me, sitting here, on a barely working laptop blurting this out to complete strangers. I feel sick. I feel that I have to rescind my acceptance of my nieces wedding in April, which I would love to celebrate with her but can not face being in a the same room as what I feel are a pack of hyenas.
I understand that over the year, my mother has hated the idea that as siblings, that we would love each other more than we'd love her and has done her upmost to play us against each other, always making either my sister or I to be the villain in whatever situation. After 50 years of that, how on earth are we meant to all of a sudden be able to function as a loving and supportive family to be able to offer Mum the best possible care? It is only last summer when I spoke honestly with my sister that she realised that I was aware of how awfully she and her daughters had been treated by our mother. Healing is starting between us, but for the little boy who is now in his late 50, the little boy who could do no wrong, there is nothing that needs healing, he knows what needs doing and the unmarried sister should be doing all the caring, the housework, the hairwashing. Apparently, according to him, we don't need carers in to help, 'we', don't need help. It was the same when my father was dying of cancer, Macmillan were calling the house regularly and my Mum would put the phone down on them, because, 'we' didn't need help. Help is for 'other' people, those people who can't cope with life, those people who aren't capable of providing for themselves, those people who are failures in life. Well, I'm one of those people, I need help, I need support, I don't have an adult by my side to cuddle me at the end of the day and tell me that they love me, or tell me to put my feet up while they hand me a piece of cake and a cuppa.
They're not particularly awful individuals, it's just their behavioural patterns that are awful and hurtful and mean. She's never been the greatest Mum in the world and most of my friends are aghast that I have anything to do with her, but you know what, she's the only mother I have.
Having got all the way to the end of this outpouring. Thank you. Thank you for letting me be heard.

Last edited:

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
My local Dementia support has suggested I come here to offload so eventually, I've mustered up the courage to put pen to paper so to speak.
Since my father passed away in November 2015 I've been helping out with Mum. She was showing signs of dementia back then and every few months I would talk to her about talking to the GP about going to the memory clinic so she could start on medication and we could get help for her. She eventually talked to the GP about it last October. Obviously, 5 years down the line, she has deteriorated and has no memory of talking to her GP and all the following test and appointment are now my doing and my 'fault'.
In these 5 years, I've made sure that she was fed and exercised and that her mental and emotional welllbeing looked after and did a quick lick in the bathrooms or hoovered if things looked a bit rough but had to do this without her knowing otherwise she'd become angry.
In 2018 I was diagnosed with breast cancer having been to the hospital 3 years previously with the lump significantly smaller. I'd been living with cancer during that time and looking back was struggling with my day to day activity quite significantly. Sadly nobody noticed, and being a single parent, I just plodded on. During my treatment, I'm sad to say that my family showed very little compassion and even less support, being the single parent and therefore a black sheep in a family of never divorcing among I'm sure many other implied reasons, I obviously didn't deserve either support or compassion. Apparently this is not uncommon for people going through cancer treatment. But since I'm the black sheep and sadly regularly treated as something they've found at the bottom of their shoes, my care of my mother was unrecognized, insignificant and of no value. Roll on a few weeks into treatment and I'm barely able to care for myself and my little girl let alone my Mum. My brother who has inherited the family home and family business, who had booted my parents out of their living room before my father had even passed away to create an office for himself, was there every single day, especially to sit at the family table expecting his lunch from his Mum. My sister, who lives an hour away visited once a week. My Mum started to loose weight and within a few months, there were complaints from my brother that she and her house looked a mess and that I should do something about it. I was suffering from the after effects of the cancer treatment and I was told by my brother that 'people who go through cancer do complaint a lot don't they', which gives you an idea of what I'm dealing with and why he thought that I should be looking after our mother single handed. To give you an idea of the relationship I have with my Mum, after my second operation, I collapsed in pain while she was in my home, she stepped over me, turn to smile at me and told me, 'I'm going to make a cup of tea for the men' and walked out leaving me on the floor on my own in the house with my 5 yr old daughter. I could go on about family dynamics but I think you get the just of it.
Fast forward to the last few months, now that the process of the memory clinic and all that goes with that ball rolling, my siblings seem to now recognise how much care Mum needs and because outside agencies are in the process of being involved and all of a sudden want to really be involved in her care and that we should all be communicating about the appointments that I'm taking care of and managing. Maybe there's guilt or maybe compassion has eventually kicked in, whatever it is, it's very much welcomed. What isn't welcomed is this sense from my brother that it's completely acceptable and normal to bark commands at me as if I'm a member of his staff. I understand that it may be difficult living in a small community and having such a large number of staff and family members working for you that you become unaccustomed to not having people say 'how high' when you bark 'jump' at them. I also understand that when you've spent your life throwing your rattle when you didn't get your own way and having your Mum pander to your every need is a difficult pattern to come out of and that signing up your eldest sister to step into that short stringed mother role is an easy option. That stepping into whatever role available for the elder sister is inviting when they've spent their life so blatantly and unapologetically unloved by their own mother even if that role is to enable the other sibling to continue their derision and bully tactics on me. After verbal attacks from my brother, I've been specifically told that I'm not to talk to anyone else about his behaviour. It's become unbearable, hence me, sitting here, on a barely working laptop blurting this out to complete strangers. I feel sick. I feel that I have to rescind my acceptance of my nieces wedding in April, which I would love to celebrate with her but can not face being in a the same room as what I feel are a pack of hyenas.
I understand that over the year, my mother has hater the idea that as siblings, that we would love each other more than we'd love her and has done her upmost to play us against each other, always making either my sister or I to be the villain in whatever situation. After 50 years of that, how on earth are we meant to all of a sudden be able to function as a loving and supportive family to be able to offer Mum the best possible care? It is only last summer when I spoke honestly with my sister that she realised that I was aware of how awfully she and her daughters had been treated by our mother. Healing is starting between us, but for the little boy who is now in his late 50, the little boy who could do no wrong, there is nothing that needs healing, he knows what needs doing and the unmarried sister should be doing all the caring, the housework, the hairwashing. Apparently, according to him, we don't need carers in to help, 'we', don't need help. It was the same when my father was dying of cancer, Macmillan were calling the house regularly and my Mum would put the phone down on them, because, 'we' didn't need help. Help is for 'other' people, those people who can't cope with life, those people who aren't capable of providing for themselves, those people who are failures in life. Well, I'm one of those people, I need help, I need support, I don't have an adult by my side to cuddle me at the end of the day and tell me that they love me, or tell me to put my feet up while they hand me a piece of cake and a cuppa.
They're not particularly awful individuals, it's just their behavioural patterns that are awful and hurtful and mean. She's never been the greatest Mum in the world and most of my friends are aghast that I have anything to do with her, but you know what, she's the only mother I have.
Having got all the way to the end of this outpouring. Thank you. Thank you for letting me be heard.
Oh my! What can I say! I’m so sorry that you are going through this! Personally I would step back and deal with your cancer. YOUR health is very important!
I am an only child but I have a father who is very similar to your brother. He now is the PWD and still behaves like that on occasion.
I know it is not easy but I would let your other siblings deal with your mother and her issues! Feel free to post here.The people on here are very good at support. I really feel for you.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @WollyWednesday

There are two avenues of support for you and you really do need it.

One is;

dementia-connect-support-line

The other is;

I hope you are already in contact with the MacMillan nurses.

The Dementia connect support line will offer advice and support about dealing with dementia.

Dementia UK will take you to Admiral Nurses who are there for carers.

I hope this helps.

WoolyWednesday

Jan 19, 2022
Oh my! What can I say! I’m so sorry that you are going through this! Personally I would step back and deal with your cancer. YOUR health is very important!
I am an only child but I have a father who is very similar to your brother. He now is the PWD and still behaves like that on occasion.
I know it is not easy but I would let your other siblings deal with your mother and her issues! Feel free to post here.The people on here are very good at support. I really feel for you.
Thank you. I am in remission but sadly, my body just doesn't have the reserves that it used to.
I'm sorry to hear that you have someone in your life who behaved like this pre dementia. x

Last edited:

WoolyWednesday

Jan 19, 2022
Hello @WollyWednesday

There are two avenues of support for you and you really do need it.

One is;
Thank you for the links. I'm very lucky that my local dementia support is calling me every couple of weeks. She's wonderful and so supportive. You go along in life thinking that this is how it is for everyone, knowing quite well that its so much harder for so many and until someone from the outside, says, whoah, it's ok to ask for help. x

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @WollyWednesday
I know its only virtual, but I would like to send you a ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hug))))))))))))))))))))))))

Im afraid that there are quite a few elements that most of us will recognise:

Being blamed for everything by the person with dementia - they dont remember and dont understand what is wrong with them, so things that go wrong, or arnt what they want become someone elses fault, usually their carers.

The lack of empathy from your mum - it is a classic dementia symptom. As the dementia progresses they can only see things that they want and cannot see others needs, or even that they have needs.

One family member who gets designated to look after the person with dementia - most of us are in this position and many have to put up with family members who are not involved in the care telling the carer what to do and interfering. In my books, people who are not involved in the care have not earned the right to issue orders.

One person becoming the "golden child" while the carer is dismissed as doing nothing. Even people who were never like that pre-dementia frequently develop this trait. My brother became the golden child and I was always being told how wonderful he was even though he did nothing and never visited her.

You have worked so hard to do your very best for your mum, but at the expense of your health. Now that "professionals" are involved its time to take a step back and look after yourself. After all these years, saying "no" to your brother will be hard, but you cant continue as you were.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear @WoolyWednesday ,

Do you have power of attorney for your mum and if so do you share this with your siblings? If so I would like to say to you to take a back seat with your mum and get carers in using love lies. Where your brother is concerned try to have as little communication with him as possible. I cared for my dad with two invisibles and when he passed away they were very keen to get their inheritance as soon as possible. They also didn't want dad to go into a home as they were concerned about the fees which is natural but promises of more help from them never materialised.

Reading your post made me feel angry for you and from my situation I ended up being diagnosed with anxiety/depression. I realised my youngest invisible was used to barking out orders but he had a shock when I was able to move out and he could no longer bark out orders. Try to get hold of those links if you can and good luck. Once I had removed myself from my situation I found that I had the strength to fight my corner and give my 'invisibles' a shock.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

MaNaAk

PS: I just want you to know that you should be proud of yourself as you obviously love your mum very much.

WoolyWednesday

Jan 19, 2022
Hi @WollyWednesday
I know its only virtual, but I would like to send you a ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hug))))))))))))))))))))))))

Im afraid that there are quite a few elements that most of us will recognise:

Being blamed for everything by the person with dementia - they dont remember and dont understand what is wrong with them, so things that go wrong, or arnt what they want become someone elses fault, usually their carers.

The lack of empathy from your mum - it is a classic dementia symptom. As the dementia progresses they can only see things that they want and cannot see others needs, or even that they have needs.

One family member who gets designated to look after the person with dementia - most of us are in this position and many have to put up with family members who are not involved in the care telling the carer what to do and interfering. In my books, people who are not involved in the care have not earned the right to issue orders.

One person becoming the "golden child" while the carer is dismissed as doing nothing. Even people who were never like that pre-dementia frequently develop this trait. My brother became the golden child and I was always being told how wonderful he was even though he did nothing and never visited her.

You have worked so hard to do your very best for your mum, but at the expense of your health. Now that "professionals" are involved its time to take a step back and look after yourself. After all these years, saying "no" to your brother will be hard, but you cant continue as you were.
Thank you.
In all fairness, he does pop in most mornings and evenings, pays the bills and in his eyes, getting her to make him lunch every day is his way of making her feel useful. Luckily, my sister has been the main carer for her mother in law and she gets it. In my eyes, we all do what we can and between us, most of it's covered.
Thank you fro explaining some of the commonalities of caring for someone who has dementia. It very much makes me feel less alone. x

WoolyWednesday

Jan 19, 2022
Dear @WoolyWednesday ,

Do you have power of attorney for your mum and if so do you share this with your siblings? If so I would like to say to you to take a back seat with your mum and get carers in using love lies. Where your brother is concerned try to have as little communication with him as possible. I cared for my dad with two invisibles and when he passed away they were very keen to get their inheritance as soon as possible. They also didn't want dad to go into a home as they were concerned about the fees which is natural but promises of more help from them never materialised.

Reading your post made me feel angry for you and from my situation I ended up being diagnosed with anxiety/depression. I realised my youngest invisible was used to barking out orders but he had a shock when I was able to move out and he could no longer bark out orders. Try to get hold of those links if you can and good luck. Once I had removed myself from my situation I found that I had the strength to fight my corner and give my 'invisibles' a shock.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

MaNaAk

PS: I just want you to know that you should be proud of yourself as you obviously love your mum very much.
Thank you.
We do all have POA health and finance. I've been trying to get carers in but my brother is very particular about his home and how external people perceive him. He gets very upset if I don't arrange for Mum to be in clean and presentable clothes to be going out for dinner or for a day out with him. I'm not so particular and it doesn't hit my radar, my focus is on health and wellbeing. We all have things that are important to us I suppose.
Thank you for your thoughts on backing off, I've found myself having to over the last 6 weeks and have felt a lot of guilt about it. She'd turned on my little girl as well as on me one day and I don't mind taking the brunt of it but my daughter has been through enough and is so young, I found my limit right there!
Thanks also for telling me how angry you felt. It really made me well up that someone gave a **** about how I feel. These things can creep up on you and especially if family dynamics have always been fractious, unpleasant behavioural patterns can escalate without realising how bad it's got until someone feels for you. Thank you x

WoolyWednesday

Jan 19, 2022
I'm absolutely blown away by your responses. Thank you. I felt so unwell physically and emotionally in the early hours of today. I went back to sleep by 5.30 and when I woke up at 7.45, I felt so tired but.... something had shifted. I've been having these very odd sensations throughout my body for about 2 years, mostly around my heart but under my skin when it spreads, a sensation similar to when you have to slam the breaks on in your car or you jump to catch a falling glass, that shock feeling. Unfortunately, it's not a short sharp thing, it comes and goes and remains for hours at a time, I've spoken to my GPs about it an they're as baffled as I am about it. Since the end of September, this really quite unpleasant sensation has been there solidly without a break all day, every day until I woke up this morning. I led there in complete disbelief, it was like a large bell had been ringing frantically next to my ear for the last 4 months and all of a sudden it wasn't there. I feel that I have more room to physically breathe, I've been calmer, I've even treated myself to a new music book to learn some new songs on the piano. It's come back a tiny bit a couple of times, when my mind has wandered and I've felt the stress building up.
I just want to give you all a huge hug for your support, your kindness and your compassion.
Thank you x

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @WoolyWednesday . I recognise those feelings of stress you describe and also that wonderful feeling of relief when some of the stress was shifted and I know @MaNaAk does too. I remember how bad things were for her. At least my siblings didn’t tell me what to do but they left me to do it all.

Sometimes one has to step back a bit to stay sane and healthy. I hope, now you’ve found us, you will continue to post

WoolyWednesday

Jan 19, 2022
Hi,
Anxiety spikes are off and on. I'm being very committed to doing nice things for myself. I was over the moon on Monday to find out from my GP that the pain in my rib was just a crack between the bone and the cartilage. I was doing my best to not go down the rabbit hole of, 'the cancer has come back'. You do your best and then realise how relieved you feel when you find out it's not.
It was Mums birthday yesterday and sadly our plans had to change. She was quite clear that she didn't really want to go with me and my daughter but was really very polite about it, which was actually quite funny and gave me a little internal smile, at least there was some effort to not be blinking horrible to us. I suggested that we took her friend with her and that was a complete change of state, a smile, body language changed etc . Sadly, the evening before, her friend called me to say that she'd been exposed to covid and didn't want to risk passing it on to Mum and asked if we could postpone the trip which we will do. Obviously, the change of plans caused confusion and with the confusion came the understandable grumpiness. We went to a local restaurant that she knows and likes and I tried to keep conversation light but at least she seemed to really enjoy her food which was really good to see. She had a visitor in the afternoon who left a bag of nice bathroom goodies as a treat for me. When I went there today, she was tired and couldn't remember this bag of goodies being left, we eventually found out that she'd given them to my brother the day before. He gave them to his daughter so at least they'll be used.
Sadly I walked into Mums house this morning to take her for a walk, my brother didn't even acknowledge me and my daughter. I kept a smile on my face and did the jolly hockey sticks thing which put a smile on Mum face at least.
As I was leaving, my brother told me that he and his wife are going to start clearing the house out room by room. I'm not comfortable about this. I think it will cause more confusion for Mum. I've explained a few times why it's not a good idea right now but as is often the case, my input is disregarded. At the end of the day, legally, the house is his and he can do what ever he wants with it.
The other thing, my brother announced that he and his son are going away with the business of a few days at the end of the month and that myself and my sister needed to sort Mums care out between us. My sister's husband has just lost a close relative and the funeral will land on that week. The initial offer of Mum going to stay with my sister for the whole week, diminished to half a week and now because of the funeral, the offer is for one night, which she can of course do but I think will confuse Mum too much and will cause her more distress than having less attention for a few days. I've been told to go in 3-4 times a day, I've explained that I can't do that but will try to do morning and late afternoon and possibly bring her to my house during the day maybe a day or two. I've been told to take her dog, who is a sweetheart, but attacks cats, I have three, and a child, neither of them I would trust him alone with. After saying that I will gladly take him but will have to buy a muzzle for him because of this, they have decided that he may have to go to a dog sitter instead. Mum won't like that. Mum has not been included in any of the decisions about her care later in the month, I know it would confuse her and cause her anxiety, it just doesn't sit right with me to exclude her from decision making or empower and support her to do what she wants to do. I'm in the minority and I don't want to stress her out so I'm keeping a low profile about decisions and will just pick up the pieces up as and when.
Thank you for encouraging me to keep on posting. I really didn't realise I wanted to get all that off my chest.
x

Last edited:

WoolyWednesday

Jan 19, 2022
Hi @WoolyWednesday . I recognise those feelings of stress you describe and also that wonderful feeling of relief when some of the stress was shifted and I know @MaNaAk does too. I remember how bad things were for her. At least my siblings didn’t tell me what to do but they left me to do it all.

Sometimes one has to step back a bit to stay sane and healthy. I hope, now you’ve found us, you will continue to post
I will thank you x

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@WoolyWednesday I thought my brother was a self important, pompous, ungrateful person but your brother really takes the biscuit. Who the heck does he think is giving you orders and telling you how to look after your mum while he is swanning off leaving you to it. I was left to get on with looking after dad but at least my brother had the decency to remain invisible while leaving me to do all the work.

You should step back and tell him to arrange for his weekend away although I wonder if you are worried that he may eject her from her home, even if it is legally his. How did he manage to inherit the house while she is still living there, that seems very unusual. You owe him nothing, I know what it feels like to be regarded as dirt on someone's shoes and it is not nice. He is taking advantage of you and your sister with no thought to how ill you have been. He sounds like a person who only thinks of himself so you need to start thinking about yourself and also your daughter. Being a single parent is no shame and you sound like a far better person than he is so don't let him get away with it.

Seems like he's more worried about his dog than he is about you which sounds very familiar to me. I remember my dad receiving a phone call from my brother telling him that he couldn't get down for a few days because his dog had had some teeth out. This was when dad was snowed in during the 'beast from the east' and I was moved in with dad for the duration but my brother didn't know that. He couldn't be bothered to walk around the corner to check that his dad had food in the cupboard and I won't forget that.

Is your brother trying to save money by getting you to do everything because it would cost him a fortune to pay privately for someone to care for your mum the way that you are. I think you and your daughter deserve a nice holiday somewhere and you should make yourself unavailable for a while very soon. Actually I think your brother should treat you to a nice holiday as a bit of a thank you. Is that likely to happen?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think you are being pretty nice about the way you are being treated. I would be bloomin' annoyed if someone gave my little treat to someone else. I also think your brother has a cheek just assuming that you will come in to look after your mum while he is away. I do understand that it is a funeral and not a holiday, but nevertheless, you are unwell and he shouldnt assume. I would be inclined to say that you can only do once a day and suggest that he gets carers in for the rest.

I like @Duggies-girl idea of a holiday. I havent seen many flying pigs recently, so you will probably have to pay for it yourself, but you really do need a holiday.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I agree with @Duggies-girl and @canary I can just imagine how you feel with the house being cleared out as went through it myself. You should step and you could try to get carers in and insist that the carers stay when he comes back. He won't be able to treat carers like that. This time last year I was like sitting duck when the house was being cleared so that we could share the inheritance but you don't have to put up with this treatment so you could tell him to acknowledge you. The first time I was able to fight back felt pretty good and when I put the phone down on one invisible after he was disappointed with me not continuing to pay house insurance for our old house I treated myself to lunch overlooking the local nature reserve. I then looked at emails and noticed my invisibles sorting it out themselves! This was enjoyable.

MaNaAk

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I think you are being pretty nice about the way you are being treated. I would be bloomin' annoyed if someone gave my little treat to someone else. I also think your brother has a cheek just assuming that you will come in to look after your mum while he is away. I do understand that it is a funeral and not a holiday, but nevertheless, you are unwell and he shouldnt assume. I would be inclined to say that you can only do once a day and suggest that he gets carers in for the rest.

I like @Duggies-girl idea of a holiday. I havent seen many flying pigs recently, so you will probably have to pay for it yourself, but you really do need a holiday.
@canary The brother is going on a business trip with his sons. It's the other sister who is going to a funeral which is why all the caring is falling on @WoolyWednesday and she is expected to board the dog as well. I agree it is a bit of a cheek to put it mildly.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thank you @Duggies-girl , I obviously got confused.
That just seems to make it worse for me.

I did like the way that @WoolyWednesday agreed to have the dog, but said she would have to buy a muzzle and then, suddenly, it was ok to put the dog in a kennel. Its a pity there isnt something similar for his dad!!! Perhaps if she gets coerced into caring she should leave mugs on the side, crockery in the sink, not do any washing and leave the bathroom untouched ;) That might make him think he should get someone in to do it "properly" next time.......