Evil Half Sibling

MJ50

Mar 14, 2024
Hello everyone. I have a problem. I have found out, that my half sister has taken all of my mothers inheritance, before she has even died, by getting her to sign an agreement in front of a solicitor to give her an LPA, which my half sister says was signed over to her as a gift. But I do not believe that my mother would have given all of her money to just her, because she always told me that the money would be shared equally between my half sister and her other four half brothers, including me. This leads me to think that when she was with the solicitor, she did not inform him/her of her other four brothers existence, and she was also using her birth name by her father, and not our birth name. Can she do this, or is it fraud? Every time I try and ask her about disclosure, she clams up and hurls abuse at me, which, where I come from is a sign of guilt. My mother is in a private care home, which is being payed for partly by the Council. My half sister pays the rest. What I dont get, is that she told the Council that my mother had no money, to get them to pay part for her care, as she had early stages of demetia. But at that time, she had 300,000 pounds safely tucked away in an account which was supposed to be used all for my mothers future care. She has never worked, and is now driving around in a brand new Mini, living the life of reilly, and rubbing all of our noses in it. I feel helpless because myself and my three other brothers were not included. Can I challenge her LPA? I have just found out that her partners house is up for sale, because I believe that when my mother passes away, she is going to do a runner with her partner to europe, and myself and my brothers wont see a penny of mothers money. Is there anyone who is in a similar position as me, or someone who can make light of the situation. I would be very grateful for opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome to the site.
Unfortunately this seems to happen so often, as the holder of a PoA you're not allowed to benefit from that, there are so many posts on here where people have and are going through the same situation as you, the pity is that the Court of Protection doesn't seem to be too interested from what others have said on here, no first hand experience myself so I can't say.
Meal times tend to be a bit quiet on here, so don't think nobody will be back later quoting all the facts.
As you mention the council I guess the is UK, English law covers them, laws vary across the UK. K

Last edited by a moderator:

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
If the attorney has been dishonest with the LA about assets then this could be deprivation of assets and the LA need to know about this.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Support Forum @MJ50. Giving Lasting Power of Attorney to someone means that you are trusting them to look after your finances and make sure you get the care you need. I'd contact the Local Authority and the Office of the Public Guardian to raise your concern that your mother's money has been misused. Someone on here was saying how helpful they had been in a similar situation.
You might also like to contact the support line as they will also be able to point you in the right direction.