How to think of Mum

Sunshine11!

Feb 11, 2022
Mum died suddenly in December. It was in many. ways a "blessing" for her and those of us who loved her, but oh I miss her. I'm struggling so much though to remember my pre Alzheimers Mum; thankfully I have some lovely photos and memories of her in the two years when she did have it.
I'm finding it so so hard though to cope with my Dad and sister, who at times were cruel to her. Safeguarding issues in the end meant that she was placed in a super home. They aren't really aware of this however. My sister is a "functioning alcoholic" and my dad an intelligent man. He shouted at her when she became incontinent, however, when she repeatedly wandered and refused to allow carers to help. My sister refused to accept medication for. her - Mum went months having the medication she needed. It felt like a two year uphill battle with the authorities to try to convince them that Mum was suffering terribly.
I can't write everything down, partly because it's too painful. I woke up sobbing this morning and just don't know how to get my head round this. I don't know how to deal with it

Jools1402

Jan 13, 2024
I'm sorry, it must be so, so hard for you. Try to hang on to the good memories and try to be kind to yourself - give yourself time to grieve. I hope in the fullness of time you will be able to forgive your Dad and sister - they sound as if they did not help your Mum which is awful but not everyone is able to cope with a loved one with dementia.

Big Yellow Taxi

Jan 6, 2018
I’m so sorry you‘re having such a difficult time. I understand you saying you can't write things down because it’s too painful, but whichever way you look at it its painful. It’s always in your head & sometimes trying to unravel that for yourself can be helpful. Recording your feelings doesn't have to be about sharing it with others, you dont ever have to. You dont even have to read it again yourself. It’s your choice and something you can control. It just allows you to offload, chat, divulge, express - whatever you want -in a way thats safe & non judgemental.
Give it a try & take care of yourself xx
Just as context - i lost mum a few years ago. I came on here today because I read a note today I had written in 2020 on my phone. x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Learning every day