maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
Hi,
I am a new member to the forum. My husband has late stage Parkinsons, Parkinsons dementia and has now developed vascular dementia. I have looked after him for 15 years but the last few years have been hard. He had a lengthy stay in hospital during which I was told he would not be permitted to come home. He is now in a Dementia nursing home and is beginning to settle although he still has aggressive outbursts. Like most of you I have good and bad days.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Welcome to the forum @maisiecat - I am glad that you have found us, you will find plenty of understanding and support here.

Fifteen years is a long time to be caring for someone with such complex needs and people here will understand just how hard it can be at times. I am glad to hear that your husband is beginning to become more settled in the nursing home now. Now that the intense carer pressure has been lifted from you a littte, I hope you will find yourself in a better position to enjoy more relaxed visits with your husband as time goes by.

I see that you have already started to have a look around and responded to others' posts, which is great. When you are ready, perhaps start a thread in the 'I have a partner with dementia ' area at https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/i-have-a-partner-with-dementia.69/

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @maisiecat.

I’m so sorry to read about your husband’s situation. I hope he settles well and that you now have time to recharge your batteries.

It’s good that you have found this forum. You are amongst people who understand and who will support you.