Forgotten love

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Your clothes are absolutely stunning.
Thank you so much. I never pay full price for anything. I buy at sales and hunt through charity shops, just being fussy about what I choose. Shoes are a little different but I always buy from a couple of online sellers and wait until they have their sales, knowing that my size will be right.

I once picked up a jacket by a well known designer in a charity shop. Great colour and style. The lady on the desk picked it up and asked me if I was going to a fancy dress party!

Ho hum!

2ndAlto

Nov 23, 2012
Thanks, @2ndAlto

I just fancy more sunshine. Hopefully I'll get used to the heat! 😎🇦🇺

A bit of advice to members living abroad. If your next incarnation is in the UK, you'll need some warm clothing and waterproofs. 😉
I'm a POM originally, married an Aussie. Both countries have good points... and not so good. Sad I don't think I can travel back to see family now thanks to this horrible disease...

Purple rain 50

Jan 29, 2023
Don’t be ashamed about your thoughts about your husband. They are pretty common ones, especially after years of caring and knowing that there’s no hope of recovery. And combine that with having no idea of how long the person will continue to hang on, it’s not an unreasonable thought either.

Personally, I have been caring for my husband for ten years, following three years of the destruction of our marriage and an initial diagnosis of Alzheimer’s and a cardiac arrest. I became a carer out of duty and after a while, I became very depressed, angry and resentful and blamed my husband for how I felt. One day, when he had been particularly horrible, I walked out and went for a drive and a long walk on the beach. The day was a bit drizzly and windy but I was happier there than at home. When I got home, my husband seemed a bit shocked that I had left him standing there in mid sentence.

From then on, I walked out every time he started getting nasty and things improved, though we did have a time when he wouldn’t talk to me for three weeks. One of the days when I walked out, I was passing a little shoe shop that sold very bright and stylish shoes. It was an expensive shop so I had only ever window shopped there but today they were having their first sale so I went in.

I had quite a moment of self determination in that little shoe shop. I realised that the only permission I needed to buy a pair of shoes was mine and mine alone so I came out with three pairs of shoes. And felt so good, not because I had bought the shoes but because I had started to wake up to who I am and that I could be really me again if I persisted.

I have always been able to leave my husband for times during the day so I did that. I went for walks on the beach, had a late breakfast at my favourite deli, met a friend for lunch and spent some money on things I liked. There’s another of my old threads somewhere with pictures of some of the wacky and wonderful shoes I bought. They seemed to be symbolic that I was finally walking in my very own shoes on my very own path.

Since then, I have bought some clothes bright enough to wear with the shoes and have ditched most of my black clothes. The older I get, the brighter I get. And I turn 80 next birthday.

I have been a volunteer with an environmental group, mostly active oldies and I never a miss our weekly get togethers. I also go to a gym every week, run by an exercise physiologist and I take the pup to a dog park a couple of times a week, where he goes nuts and I am outdoors and chatting with like minded people.

So that’s my story and now it’s time to start your way back too.
@Lawson58 i love this post! I’m craving a walk on the beach & hopefully this week I’ll get there (even if we are getting battered with wind & rain!)
I’ve realised that my wardrobe consists of mainly grey (including some very old underwear) - perhaps I’ll also get to M&S!!

@maisiecat my heart goes out to you & although my situation isn’t the same, I’ve also thought that surely death is kinder 🥲x

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Thanks, @2ndAlto

I just fancy more sunshine. Hopefully I'll get used to the heat! 😎🇦🇺

A bit of advice to members living abroad. If your next incarnation is in the UK, you'll need some warm clothing and waterproofs. 😉
I think when I lived in the UK, the thing about Australia I missed most was the opportunity to go for a leisurely walk along a beautiful beach in the warm sunshine. After some time in UK, the frequency of the grey days and all the dark overcoats got to me and finally I caved in and started watching Home and Away just to see an Aussie beach.

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
I'm a POM originally, married an Aussie. Both countries have good points... and not so good. Sad I don't think I can travel back to see family now thanks to this horrible disease...
You're right, of course, @2ndAlto - 'the grass is always greener', although technically the grass is greener over here, but you get my meaning.
I think when I lived in the UK, the thing about Australia I missed most was the opportunity to go for a leisurely walk along a beautiful beach in the warm sunshine. After some time in UK, the frequency of the grey days and all the dark overcoats got to me and finally I caved in and started watching Home and Away just to see an Aussie beach.
You're correct too, @Lawson58 - it's the frequency of the grey days that galls. It's still good old England though (other equally good parts of the United Kingdom are available).

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
You're right, of course, @2ndAlto - 'the grass is always greener', although technically the grass is greener over here, but you get my meaning.

You're correct too, @Lawson58 - it's the frequency of the grey days that galls. It's still good old England though (other equally good parts of the United Kingdom are available).
I remember being in Mallorca, out in a little village when unexpectedly I smelt gum trees that had thrived in someone’s garden. I suddenly felt homesick, an emotion I rarely experienced in all my years of travelling. Isn’t it strange the connections we make?

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
I remember being in Mallorca, out in a little village when unexpectedly I smelt gum trees that had thrived in someone’s garden. I suddenly felt homesick, an emotion I rarely experienced in all my years of travelling. Isn’t it strange the connections we make?
Yes, scent is a powerful stirrer of memory. The following article explains how scent can be used with dementia patients.

https://www.aplaceformom.com/caregiver-resources/articles/aromatherapy-for-dementia-patients