New Care Assessment because we can't cope?

Emmavix

Apr 2, 2022
Can I request as care assessment review, not based on needs changing as much as our ability to meet needs changing?

My FIL has loved with us since January in a granny flat following a bad fall at home. He has probably mid-stage dementia but is relatively independent, gets up & dresses himself, makes breakfast & lunch. We have had a carer going in each day to give meds and some company (he throws meds away if left with them and threatens to take overdoses so we store them in our house). Recently he's had a UTI causing delirium which caused him to try to run away and another episode of huge distress where he was crying and very disorientated - checked out in hospital and apparently dementia progression rather than delirium. In hospital he disclosed that he doesn't go to bed any more and we know he doesn't bath or shower but is totally resistant to support with this,

He doesn't really want care from anyone other than us so recently has been asking carers to leave as soon as they arrive. We cook him a meal every night and have tried twice to have a family night out and get someone else to do this but although he knew in advance and had this written on his calendar, he got very upset, asked them to leave and then called us. This plus the running away/calls of distress in the evenings mean we always have to have someone at home and the stress this is putting on us is unbearable. We have 4 kids and they are really struggling with the lack of flexibility. We have recently had 2 carers leave, one because she was unhappy at being shouted at and one because the short shifts just weren't working for her (when asked to leave early) so now we have even more to try to fit in as we pick up the slack.

My husband & 3 siblings have LPA and when I asked the GP to refer for another assessment it was refused because an LPA is in place and FIL is a self-funder. The other 3 siblings don't share any of the care and have concerns over all of their Dad's money being spent on care costs. Plus they're not really considerate of the burden despite me trying to explain.

I think a care home is the only option but FIL will HATE this, it's his worst nightmare really. But even if we could replace the current carers it's the strain of evening meals 7 days a week and constantly having to be home in the evenings that's the issue. A live-in carer would potentially be an option but would be so expensive, around £8 - £10k/month and so he could only afford to pay that for a couple of months until savings run out. Two of the siblings are keen to send him back to his own flat with no care (as "he'd rather die alone than be in a care home") but I fear this may be motivated more from the fact this would preserve the flat value as an inheritance than a real belief this is the right thing to do.

So I would really like an official assessment that says his needs can't be met by us any more and that suggests a care home so there are no more arguments. I know that may sound selfish but I am really worried that we won't be able to cope much longer.

pvl

Oct 11, 2022
Hi Emmavix.

I'm sorry to hear what you and your family are going through. I guess the first thing I would say is that you don't sound at all selfish. Quite the opposite. It's a huge challenge looking after someone with dementia and the fact that you also have four children to care for and a relationship with your husband to focus on must be absolutely exhausting. I take my hat off to you for doing this for as long as you have.

If your husband's siblings don't share in any of the care I would suggest that you and your husband shouldn't be concerned about their opinions on your FILs care arrangements.

And you're right, even if you got a carer in you would still be answering queries, providing care, and having the ultimate responsibility for your FIL. And that isn't fair to you and your family. The strain will start to affect your relationships and how your kids feelings about their grandfather. It doesn't matter how understanding everyone is of the person suffering dementia it won't change how they feel.

Your FIL may say that going into care is his worst nightmare but if he was in his right mind I'm sure that he wouldn't want to put you and your kids through what you are experiencing.

Given how much distress he experiences when you are not there, and his inability to take care of his personal hygiene needs, it really does sound to me like placing him in a care home that caters to the needs of dementia patients is absolutely the right thing to do. It may even be something that provides him with the feeling of safety and security that he needs. If your GP doesn't want to assist you and you feel that things are coming up to breaking point, don't wait for another assessment. Now is the time to do your research and visit some of the homes to see if you would be comfortable with him being placed in one.

If your husband's three siblings want to kick up a fuss about it I would let them know that if they make that course of action difficult for you, you will pack up your FILs things and bring him over to them to take care of. Letting them know of course that you will be notifying the GP and all other services that they are responsible for his health and safety moving forward. That may sound harsh but if they are not involved in his care they don't get to have a say. If putting him in care is the right thing for your FIL, you and your family please don't let anyone make you feel guilty about doing that.

Above all else, please take care of yourself. Easy to say and hard to do, I know. But your needs are important too.

I hope you can find a resolution soon.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
You can absolutely ask for another assessment and I wouldn’t bother with the GP but ask social services directly. As you FIL is self funding they may say that this can only be met with a charge , usually a yearly one so that his care needs can be updated. Unfortunately such an assessment won’t lead to a clearly defined statement about where his care should be until something really bad happens such as a fall . I know this sounds shocking but it is the way social care works. They will see him at home,with family around him and carers coming in so that is good enough as far as they are concerned. However asking for an assessment will keep him on their radar and inform your next move.
That said, as he is self funding and LPAs in place, depending on his mental capacity, you could just find a home for him. If he has mental capacity and refuses then you can’t make him but it’s an option.
Have your thought about respite for a few days initially to see how you all fair?
Sadly the family situation is all too familiar. If they do insist he goes home with no care then that would be a safeguard issue and they could be reported to social services. Also I think @pvl is spot on with the advice about calling their bluff.

Emmavix

Apr 2, 2022
Thanks to everyone who's replied. I have suggested putting him in a taxi to them, two live over 5 hours away and I think they know I wouldn't actually do it. One had offered to have him to stay for a week which would have been a nice break but then decided as his house has stairs, it's unsuitable and so rescinded the offer. The message from everyone seems to be "the best place is with you despite the difficulties it causes you".

The LPA is set up so agreements should be made jointly which is really tricky. We have a home that offers respite care visiting tomorrow for an assessment but if they decide he has capacity and he says no or without agreement from all 4 siblings I can't get him in there. Which really does mean we have no options.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The LPA is set up so agreements should be made jointly which is really tricky
Thats a shame - you are going to find that your hands will increasing become tied.
I suspect that it will come down to a crisis when health professionals will be able to override the POA, or it will have to go to the Court of Protection for them to decide (a lengthy and expensive option)

Emmavix

Apr 2, 2022
Thats a shame - you are going to find that your hands will increasing become tied.
I suspect that it will come down to a crisis when health professionals will be able to override the POA, or it will have to go to the Court of Protection for them to decide (a lengthy and expensive option)
And that's what really worries me - that maybe instead of staying home every evening to keep him safe, we have to live normally and let him run away/come to harm - but morally I'm just not sure I can do that. I had to do a CoP application for my MIL but it took about 15 months and she had died by the time it was processed.

Canna

Jan 24, 2022
Hi @Emmavix, have you had a Carers' Assessment - the assessment that looks at what support you need, rather than the needs of the person you care for? You can request one from Social Services. At the time I found it frustrating, because the support I needed was "not having to be a carer." However, looking back, it was helpful because someone sits down with you who understands what you are actually doing each day, and makes a note of the impact this is having on you in specific areas - effectively how close you are to breaking point.

You have a written report that states the impact caring is having on your life. My support worker from the local Carers' Centre was a helpful advocate for me when I was trying to get my mum into a care home (she is self-funding), and I think contributed to discussions with social services.

I don't think anyone wants to go into a care home, but no-one wants to go into hospital either. It's about needs, rather than wants. My mum would have hated to think she'd end up in a home, but then, she wasn't planning on getting dementia. And now she's in a home, she's safe, comfortable, and relatively cheerful, none of which she was when she was at home.

You are an incredibly caring person, doing a really tough job. Dementia is selfish, but you are certainly not.