Need some help

Liz2

Feb 26, 2024
My name is Elizabeth and my husband has frontal temporal dementia since 2005 he is now in a hospital bed unable to walk or do anything for himself. My health is not good and I am struggling

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello Elizabeth @Liz2 and firstly welcome to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a lot of shared experience of dementia to be found here, so I am glad you have found us.

I am sorry to read of your husband's diagnosis, and that he is now in a hospital bed unable to do anything by himself. You must have had a really tough time since 2005 I'm sure and it is not surprising that you are struggling, particularly if your own health is not good. I am so sorry.
Is he in a care home? If so, I hope you are comforted at least by the care that he is receiving.
But it sounds very much like you need some support yourself - have you spoken to the GP about the struggles you are facing. Your own health is vitally important in this too.
Now that you have found us, do have a good look around the forums, and if you have any particular questions, then please do ask.
Sometimes, just by putting things down on here can help. Members here really do understand and want to help.
The following links may be useful for sourcing support in your local area, and the contact/helpline for Alzheimer's Society as well. I hope that you will reach out. Take care

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
Call social services and request a needs assessment for both your husband and yourself and tell them you 'cannot cope'.