Mum wanting to "go home"

JessN12

Nov 24, 2021
My mum with Alzheimer's has very recently started asking how long she has to stay "in this place" meaning her house she's lived in for 40 years. She's also been telling my aunt she stayed over somewhere else like a home but I know she's not been anywhere. It's happened just after Christmas so her and dad have had a fair few visitors which might be confusing?

I know this is common in those with Alzheimer's but I had always associated with later stages. Mum can still dress herself, shower, get the bus to town etc.
What could have triggered it and is there anything we can do to help her feel settled in the house?

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
My mum with Alzheimer's has very recently started asking how long she has to stay "in this place" meaning her house she's lived in for 40 years. She's also been telling my aunt she stayed over somewhere else like a home but I know she's not been anywhere. It's happened just after Christmas so her and dad have had a fair few visitors which might be confusing?

I know this is common in those with Alzheimer's but I had always associated with later stages. Mum can still dress herself, shower, get the bus to town etc.
What could have triggered it and is there anything we can do to help her feel settled in the house?
As you say your mum might be confused after all of the Christmas activities. People with dementia are inclined to go into host mode when they have visitors and this is very tiring for them. It is also possible that your mum is further along than you think and that your dad has been covering up for her.
Finally it might be an idea to get your mum checked out for an infection, especially a UTI as these can cause confusion in a person with dementia.

trus

Dec 28, 2023
My MIL has been asking to go home for nearly a year. She had had an underlying issue at first which got sorted but the going home thing stayed. She says is every day without fail. She is in advanced stages.
Might be worth ruling out infections, possibly its also the sign of overwhelming time of the year, like others said.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @JessN12

The compulsion to "go home" is not about bricks and motor - it arises from anxiety and confusion (especially when they no longer recognise their home). What they are actually asking for is to go somewhere that they remember from their past (usually a childhood home) where they felt safe and they think that if they go there then they will leave all the confusion behind, not realising that they will simply take it with them.

I expect that all the upheaval and different visitors has triggered this off, but as @trus says, once it starts, even if you deal with the trigger, it can still continue