Moving on......

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
I went for a lovely longish walk on Friday evening, by myself, through our local park and a fairly steep climb up to the top of nearby hills and back along the canal. I thoroughly enjoyed it but have now been told there are two somewhat odd men who have been following women along the canal. I really enjoy walking alone (better when I had the dog for company) but now wondering if I should heed these warnings or just carry on regardless. Perhaps I should take a stick with me.

I got out the electric drill this evening and fitted two brackets for hanging baskets either side of my front door. Hoping I've done a 'proper job' (as they say in Devon) and the baskets won't be on the ground by the morning!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I always hate to give in, but I think you need to be careful about where you walk on your own.

Well done on the hanging baskets!

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Think I would perhaps avoid the canal for now even tho your inclination is not to, but then I'm a cowardy cat! Well done on putting up your brackets.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Yay! Hanging baskets are still hanging. Not quite Rome Scarlett but a minor triumph all the same. Now the next dilemma should I get another dog? I had a very vivid dream that I had a beautiful Labrador type dog and its shaken my original resolve not to have another one. They're such a tie though and I'd have to fence the garden as there are so many escape routes. Fizzy never tried to leave but I have had dogs akin to Houdini in the past. Someone talk me out of this idea please!!

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Yay! Hanging baskets are still hanging. Not quite Rome Scarlett but a minor triumph all the same. Now the next dilemma should I get another dog? I had a very vivid dream that I had a beautiful Labrador type dog and its shaken my original resolve not to have another one. They're such a tie though and I'd have to fence the garden as there are so many escape routes. Fizzy never tried to leave but I have had dogs akin to Houdini in the past. Someone talk me out of this idea please!!

I have nobody to leave Billy with and, as he's 11 in a few weeks, I wouldn't want him to go into kennels. But I haven't had a holiday for 12 years, so I've decided that when he goes to Doggy Heaven, which I hope won't be for several years, I'll have a year off, so I can visit friends, visit my son and his family in the USA for several weeks, and perhaps even have a Saga-type holiday on my own.

And then I'd get another "friend", cos there's nothing like them. In fact, the year off might only be 6 months, or 3, cos I just don't think I could bear being on my own completely. Sorry, I can't talk you out of the idea. :)

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Can't talk you out of it, Jinx, as the first thing I did when Fred went to his CH was to rescue a cat. Had just lost our previous one 2 weeks before he went and the house was so empty. Katie needed me and I needed her and, despite the expense of her vet bills, which might have deterred me if I had known, and the cattery bills, I have no regrets as she is such an affectionate companion. So, personally, I would say go for it altho I know others probably wouldn't agree.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
No help here jinx. Jess has kept me going for years and is currently giving me a reason to get up in the morning. Xx

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I do not have to make a decision, where I live pets are not allowed. Would love a cat though . Not fit enough to have a dog, although they certainly get you out and about which is a big bonus.

Jeannette

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Thanks all, fat lot of use you are!! I am resisting a visit to the local RSPCA centre but not sure for how long. We always had rescue dogs. My granddaughter thinks the dog should be hers, but mine when it does, as she puts it, the P word, then granny can pick it up!!

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Not quite Truth, my last little dog was so easy going, I doubt I would be lucky enough to find another as good as she was and I don't really want to go down the puppy route.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Not quite Truth, my last little dog was so easy going, I doubt I would be lucky enough to find another as good as she was and I don't really want to go down the puppy route.

I'd like to bet my last penny, that whichever new friend you acquire, you will love the bones off them within a vey short time. :)

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Another one who can't imagine life alone without a dog. I dread the time she leaves me though I agree they are a tie. However, if you have someone who would look after him/her for short breaks then go for it.
Just imagine that walk along the canal with a dog beside you!

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Still dithering, contemplating Es's idea of 'share my doggy' or signing up with Cinnamon Trust. Did have a look on the RSPCA web site too. There is a cute little dog whose owner has died, it's five years old and quite nervous apparently but it doesn't say that it's OK with children. Have to consider that I have my two granddaughters, 3 and 8, next door who are constant visitors. Hmmmmmm.