Mixed days!

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
Hi all,

I can remember when I used to come here and rant and vent when my mum was my PWD, I went through a phase of not quite knowing which section to come to? Early Stages or Late stages?

Well I am back in that predicament as my dad is now in the same situation.

I have an amazing support network from my husband to a Carers Support group that I belong to.

Yesterday we went for a really lovely lunch, my dad was having a "good" day, after quite a long spell of bad days. He ate well and had a glass of wine (which is quite normal, the wine not the eating).

After about an hour of him being at home he called me and I could tell that the mood of the day had changed.

He said that his things had been moved and that a holdall bag had been emptied and he couldn't find the contents. he could remember what was in there, it was just bits and pieces but the worst part was: He said that his neighbour had access to his house, he said that the neighbour could come through the wall. I told him that I would end the call and video call him back so he could show me where they come in.

He took me into the back of the wardrobe and said here, they COULD come in here. I explained to him that there was no hole in the wall and they would have to break down the wall. He agreed that this would not only be noisy but messy.

I have spoken to him this morning and I can still hear that "edge" in his voice, so I am going there to help him find the missing contents of the bag.

I think I have just come on for a rant really........sorry!

I will update you all later - because the other thing is I have to tell him he is having cataract surgery on Wednesday! 🙈

Wish me luck xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @JoannePat

I`m so sorry to hear once again you have become a carer but pleased you knew this was the place to return to.

Don`t apologise for the rant. You know it`s a safe place to do so.

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
Thank you @Grannie G I felt so much better after my rant!

I am just back from seeing him. He took the news of Wednesdays op very well and didn't refer to yesterdays ramblings at all. Lets hope today stays a good day!

Jxx

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Your dad sounds very much like my mum at the same stage who was convinced the neighbours came in, even though she couldn't explain how. She also thought they brought things back they took too, and I found it difficult to understand how my intelligent mum could believe that.
She also had cataract surgery and was fine with remembering the drops etc (at the time her problems were due to logic not memory). Do you think your dad will remember to do that? The only problem was deciding she looked old (she was in her late eighties) so she went and bought a load more make-up. Probably not a problem you'll have with your dad.

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
Thank you @Sarasa isn't it strange what goes through their head and thoughts.

I think I am going to have to do the drops. The hospital has told me i have to stay with him for the first 24-36 hours, but i live quite close so will be up and down seeing to him and his drops etc.

🤣don't think I will have to worry about dad at the make up counter.

xx

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Neighbours of people with dementia are the worst ever. They come through holes in the wall, letterboxes and non-existent chimneys. They move things, steal things (especially tea towels and broken ornaments that no one else has seen for years), bang around upstairs even though there isn't an upstairs, move/put stuff in your bins - all sorts of un-neighbourly things.

I hope I never end up living next door to such a person...

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
@Jaded'n'faded 🤣 me too! Because this afternoon those buggers have been in, fitted a hose to his tap and then taken it off and scrammed off! Who'd have thunked it!

Good job we can keep our sense of humour

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
I think today has been a particularly bad day, both for him and myself and then I get that dreaded GUILT feeling, which I know we shouldn't but we all do

Thank you for all your thoughts

xx

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloJb