Not sleeping Not Eating!

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
I think this may end up as another rant so I apologise in advance! I am also looking for a bit of advice!

I realise that these last few days have been frustrating for my dad. He has had to deal with the build up of todays cataract surgery - will they won't they, third times a charm!

Anyway, as he lives independently and manages quite well on a "normal" day, we just explained the nil by mouth and comfortable clothes thing and thought that would be enough.

Oh how wrong we were! Without boring you with the calls backwards and forwards yesterday and last night, eventually he called my husband at 5 this morning, who had his phone on silent so we missed that called. I am still wondering why he didn't try me, but hey-ho. When my husband called him at 7, my dad blamed him for not answering the phone because he hadn't eaten as he didn't know whether he could or not (NBM started at 8am), my husband told him to take something to eat and that he would come and pick him up. When he turned up he had eaten one small cup cake and had half a cup of tea.

He is now asleep in the chair here........

Now I will get to the not sleeping and eating. I think that his general diet is these small cup cakes, I know that he eats other things but not much, he weighs about 45kg. He also doesn't sleep at night. He has a sleeping tablet that he can take but either doesn't like them or just forgets.

I really didn't think it was time for us to move in, but I think that is getting closer. But the more I think about it, the more I think there really isn't room for us. AND, we both WFH so if he is up wandering around at night how are we meant to work during the day?? When my mum passed away my dad sort of spread out and has clothes in every wardrobe and shoes in every cupboard. I'm starting to sound selfish but I'm trying to look ahead.

My goodness I needed this rant, thank you so much for reading and being here...........

Fingers crossed for today and the surgery, I will keep you updated!

Jxxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
See how things are after the surgery. @JoannePat I hope all goes well.

I have had cataract surgery and it is a wonderful operation. Afterwards, the world looks as if it has been spring cleaned.

This might help your dad see life more clearly. I just hope the general anaesthetic doesn`t confuse him more.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@JoannePat , I hope the operation goes well today. It’s all pretty straightforward (I’ve had both eyes done) but the eye drops afterwards can be a fiddle.
I have the feeling that your dad’s dementia is probably more advanced than you think. I knew things were very awry with mum, but thought she was managing day to day stuff OK. After she moved into care I realised how advanced her dementia actually was.
I’d think long and hard about moving in with your dad, you could find it impossible to work and care for him at the same time.

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
@Grannie G and @Sarasa thank you both xx

I certainly think it has advanced in the last few weeks, we certainly witness less good days at the moment. I am going to stay with him to do the drops. I just hope he plays ball!!

When my mum went into care we noticed a difference, I just don't know if I can go through that again.

xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Get this surgery over and once the drops procedure is done , be ready to make a decision.

For now the surgery takes priority.

There is no need to go through anything again. As well as acting in your dad`s best interests, you have to think of yourselves too.

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
Thank you, I am probably not dealing with things very well at the moment. Some days it just all gets a bit much 😢

Hartwick

Jan 18, 2024
Thank you, I am probably not dealing with things very well at the moment. Some days it just all gets a bit much 😢
Hi I know exactly how you feel it’s like a roller coaster mum has Vascular Dementia hasn’t literally slept in the 6 weeks she’s been in her CH then last week they increased her Promethazine to 50mg slept last week we all thought great then last 3 nights back to no sleep 🙈 today just feels like a living nightmare 😥