Life interest trust and moving into a care home

Squirrel67

Nov 21, 2023
Hi, I’m looking for some advice please. I’m based in Scotland. It sadly looks as if my mother will need to move into a care home as her needs are complex and can no longer be managed at home with her care package. My late father left me his share of their home in trust. My mother lives in the property on her own. I don’t know what to do with the house when she does move into care and I’m thinking of perhaps buying it for myself as it’s a bungalow and adapted. I would buy out her half basically. My heads in a bit of a mess to be honest and I’m tired and just thinking too much about everything.
Has anyone been in this position before. How is the house valued by the local authority . My mum will obviously be self funding for a few years but since I technically own half of the property, I’m assuming that I would need to agree to the final cost. It seems complicated as I’m also the power of attorney for finances and welfare. Would there be a conflict of interest then or would it be straightforward. I don’t want to overpay as the market isn’t great just now and several houses in her street are up for sale and not selling.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I feel that the time has come to move forward to ensure my mums safety.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
I think the rule of thumb is get 3 independent valuations and go for the middle one. Make sure you keep everything documented . Then either buy the half or sell and split the money.
I think Scotland is more generous in terms of financial help

Squirrel67

Nov 21, 2023
I think the rule of thumb is get 3 independent valuations and go for the middle one. Make sure you keep everything documented . Then either buy the half or sell and split the money.
I think Scotland is more generous in terms of financial help
Hi good advice. Yes, Scotland is by far more generous with financial assistance in relation to funding for personal care etc.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Try asking Alzscot helpline.

In England a trustee would have to be appointed to act on her behalf as you cannot act for both yourself and as attorney for her, probably similar in Scotland.

Last edited: