Looking for advice and would love to hear other peoples experiences.

Jul 1, 2024
Hello, my name is Audrianna and I am currently the caretaker of my 84yr old grandmother that was diagnosed with dementia probably about a year ago. I do have somewhat of a healthcare medical background but am not educated or experienced with patience with dementia. I am open to any advice.

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Hello and welcome to our community. Before we progress any further, I have the utmost admiration for a young person taking on caring responsibilities but still think it's wrong. Are you happy in your current role or are you missing the things that young people usually experience? No right or wrong answer or judgement here.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Reaching_out_for_ help and welcome
I dont think that having a healthcare/medical background actually helps at all. When its your own family it becomes personal, you dont have colleagues to help and back you up, and you dont get to go home and leave it all behind at the end of your shift.

Dementia changes as it progresses and advice needs to shift depending on where you are. What sort of things do you need advice on?

Calon Lan

May 21, 2024
Hi Audrianna @Reaching_out_for_ help and welcome.

I have a medical background but I soon realised I knew very little of real value about dementia when I started caring for my mum. Thankfully I found this forum back in 2020. People here understand and they will try to help and support you when you are ready to ask questions.