Hi I am new to this Forum and looking for so much advice

Lshe

Mar 2, 2024
Hello
My husband as been diagnosed with vascular dementia, and like a lot of people i am not sure I’m doing it right
This Forum as been so useful answering questions that I am looking for

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Lshe and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community. I am sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. You'll find others here who have experience of Vascular Dementia. This link might also be useful:

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Just to say another welcome from me also @Lshe to this forum. .
I am sorry to read about your husband's diagnosis. This forum is really a great place for support and understanding. Do have a good look around and ask any particular questions you may like to.
Some members find it helps just putting things down on here. Members really do understand and want to help.

Bob76

Mar 3, 2024
Snap!!! You’re not on your own! My
partners father has vascular dementia and has just had to surrender his driving licence, he’s upset, my partners upset…. His dad calls several times a day asking when he’s getting his car back, when can he drive again, if he gets new glasses can he drive again… it’s so stressful..difficult to know what is the right approach to help him understand

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Eviestace76 and welcome. Driving, or being told to stop driving, is a topic that comes up quite a lot here and it's a really difficult one to deal with. Sometimes deflecting blame onto the DVLA/ Doctor can help but it depends on the person and the circumstances. Has your partner's Dad been given an opportunity by the DVLA to take a driving assessment so that they can consider issuing him with a new (usually short term) licence, or is it a case of him not getting his licence back at all? My mum never drove prior to her diagnosis but hopefully others with experience of this will provide some suggestions for you as this is a supportive place and people try to help if they can.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Eviestace76 and welcome to this friendly and supportive forum from me also.
I am sorry to read about your partner's father and that he has had to surrender his driving licence. Naturally it is a very emotive subject when anyone, dementia or not, has to surrender their licence so I do understand.
I am very glad you have found us, as there is bags of understanding here from members that really do want to help.