Is It Still Possible That I Could See My Friend Over Xmas?

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
A few things to clarify here. Firstly guidance is not law and you are not obliged to follow it, although you will probably want to think about any risks arising from not doing so.

Secondly the law is now out and there are no travel restrictions whatsoever in it. Neither are overnight stays banned, they are not even mentioned.

There are basically two groups of restrictions that apply to people who live in Tier 4, and they apply all over England to T4 residents. The first is they must stay home unless they have a reasonable excuse to go out or stay out. A reasonable excuse can be anything but there is a list of excuses that are considered reasonable. Relevant here is the one about giving care or assistance to a vulnerable person. It has to be " reasonably necessary,," but if the person has dementia that won't be hard to prove. Visiting a person in your long-term support bubble is another reasonable excuse and there are quite a few more. There are no distance limits and no restrictions on crossing into lower tiers. But beware, a social visit is NOT a reasonable excuse. Nor is a holiday. I shall be spending three nights at my father's house 120 miles away and I have cancelled the carers those days do I will be cooking, washing, and taking him for exercise, dealing with household things and taking him for a care home visit. Not my ideal Christmas but within the law as he needs looking after. I would rather be with my support bubble, long term, household which iscalso some way away but legal to visit. So this isn't a social visit.

The other set of restrictions are about gatherings. In T4 these are banned, and I certainly would have to refuse any invitation from my father's neighbours to call in for sherry! I can't even talk to his neighbours in their gardens, but I can speak to them one at a time in the road where I may get run over but apparently I won't pass on or catch covid.

In Tier 3 indoor gatherings are banned on days except 25th when the Christmas bubbles are allowed. They are complicated but if there are only three households present you will be fine. That's also the case in Tier 2. The lucky folks in Tier 1 can follow the rule of 6 indoors. This is all highly discriminatory against people who don't have cars as there is almost no public transport on Christmas Day and you cannot "gather" the night before.

You always have to obey the most restrictive rules either of where you are of where you live but carers are allowed to keep on caring in all tiers.

So just to remind everyone, the question to ask is not " can I travel" but ",can I be outside of my own home".