Incontinence issues

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Sorry no experience with the sheath and bag .

OH needs pull ups as he can completely empty his bladder and bowels sometimes.

The incontinence service will only give two pull ups in our area but will give pads that go in net pants as well. My OH prefers pull ups as he sometimes
does use the toilet. although they are not so easy to change when wearing trousers if they get wet.

My oh is provided with Tena super pants for night and Tenna classic plus for day. To supplement those I buy Aldi pull ups which I think are a good match to the Tena. Unlike a lot of pull ups the Aldi ones have the leak protection frill inside and generally hold up well .Aldi ones £3.89 for 9 medium or 8 large

As already mentioned proper branded Kylie mat on the bed with a full waterproof mattress cover will protect the mattress and usually just the Kyle will need washing if there is a leak . Leaks are fairly rare with my OH pull ups.

Do get the radar key to access the disabled toilets. Oh .. I have to help my OH now so if you need help from your wife or carer you definitely won't be the only one.

Sam50

Apr 1, 2021
South West
I too have problems with continence now. I can't get pullups, only pads allocated and then not enough. However, what has made a difference is completely cutting out caffiene from my diet, both in fluid and food. caffeine is a bladder irritant as well as a diuretic. Citrus fruits dont help either. SO no caffeinated tea, coffee, cola or citrus stuff. Try decaffeinated or herbal tea. Beware of chocolate too.

If you want pull ups and cannot get them 'prescribed' use your attendance allowance to pay for them.
Thank you for this advices. I am going to cut out caffeine and those fruits out completely then. I have cut out alcohol already and mainly s
I too have problems with continence now. I can't get pullups, only pads allocated and then not enough. However, what has made a difference is completely cutting out caffiene from my diet, both in fluid and food. caffeine is a bladder irritant as well as a diuretic. Citrus fruits dont help either. SO no caffeinated tea, coffee, cola or citrus stuff. Try decaffeinated or herbal tea. Beware of chocolate too.

If you want pull ups and cannot get them 'prescribed' use your attendance allowance to pay for them.
Thank you for advice. I will cut out caffeine and those fruits too now.

Sam50

Apr 1, 2021
South West
Sorry no experience with the sheath and bag .

OH needs pull ups as he can completely empty his bladder and bowels sometimes.

The incontinence service will only give two pull ups in our area but will give pads that go in net pants as well. My OH prefers pull ups as he sometimes
does use the toilet. although they are not so easy to change when wearing trousers if they get wet.

My oh is provided with Tena super pants for night and Tenna classic plus for day. To supplement those I buy Aldi pull ups which I think are a good match to the Tena. Unlike a lot of pull ups the Aldi ones have the leak protection frill inside and generally hold up well .Aldi ones £3.89 for 9 medium or 8 large

As already mentioned proper branded Kylie mat on the bed with a full waterproof mattress cover will protect the mattress and usually just the Kyle will need washing if there is a leak . Leaks are fairly rare with my OH pull ups.

Do get the radar key to access the disabled toilets. Oh .. I have to help my OH now so if you need help from your wife or carer you definitely won't be the only one.
Thank you- it very helpful. Will see how to get key. I have Aldi near so look will ththe cheaper pull ups. I lose full bladder myself so the pull up needed- a lot. I have lost poo control couple times only so far but good know to know pull ups can take that as will prob be next thing. I feel better knowing all these options and other people having it aswell as me. I do have somehelp from carer but i want to help my own with this for as long as can.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
@Sam50 you can get radar keys on internet - on Amazon and other sites like this one -

I live in Scotland so things might be a bit different here but my husband got one for nothing from our local council - because he was receiving attendance allowance. I bought a couple of spares so his carers could have one.

Sam50

Apr 1, 2021
South West
@Sam50 you can get radar keys on internet - on Amazon and other sites like this one -

I live in Scotland so things might be a bit different here but my husband got one for nothing from our local council - because he was receiving attendance allowance. I bought a couple of spares so his carers could have one.
Thank you that is helpful i get tge allowance so will see if incan get one.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
I got our radar keys from the local shop mobility that hire out scooters and wheelchairs for the shopping centre. I keep one in my daughters car, one in our car and I have one in the handbag I use most. I paid under £4 each

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Just another thought, ..it's quite acceptable for blokes to carry a small back pack. Take a couple of pull ups and trouser change with you just in case. I have also put some nappy bags in to put the used pull up in,along with some conti dry wipes and some body wipes for cleaning yourself . My oh is happy to carry the bag and no one knows what's in it 🙂

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
mine carries a bag across his chest. he has his wallet in it and cuts the risk down of wallet snatching. like a cross body bag.its only small and hes happy.

Sam50

Apr 1, 2021
South West
Just another thought, ..it's quite acceptable for blokes to carry a small back pack. Take a couple of pull ups and trouser change with you just in case. I have also put some nappy bags in to put the used pull up in,along with some conti dry wipes and some body wipes for cleaning yourself . My oh is happy to carry the bag and no one knows what's in it 🙂
That is a good idea- thanks! I have to find way to remember what i need and to take it.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
@Sam50
Make your back pack up and take it every time you leave home.

Pull up X2
Spare trousers
Nappy bags
Conti dry wipes
Body wipes ( bigger than baby or hand wipes.)
Radar key for the toilet access

You can buy the conti dry wipes and body wipes from Amazon or if you buy from incontinence care shop on line you can purchase VAT free but you do pay for postage so it might not be advantageous unless you place a large order. Kylie mats are available there too .

Sam50

Apr 1, 2021
South West
mine carries a bag across his chest. he has his wallet in it and cuts the risk down of wallet snatching. like a cross body bag.its only small and hes happy.

@Sam50
Make your back pack up and take it every time you leave home.

Pull up X2
Spare trousers
Nappy bags
Conti dry wipes
Body wipes ( bigger than baby or hand wipes.)
Radar key for the toilet access

You can buy the conti dry wipes and body wipes from Amazon or if you buy from incontinence care shop on line you can purchase VAT free but you do pay for postage so it might not be advantageous unless you place a large order. Kylie mats are available there too .
Thank you this really helps mealot lot

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Hi @Sam50 you're not silly! The radar key will let you unlock the door to disabled toilets. The♿ toilets are larger and usually have a shelf so you can put your back pack on to find the things you need.

It will also give you room to take a carer in with you when you get to the stage where you need more help.

Please keep posting if you need more help and advice🙂

Last edited:

Sam50

Apr 1, 2021
South West
Hi @Sam50 you're not silly! The radar key will let you unlock the door to disabled toilets. The♿ toilets are larger and usually have a shelf so you can put your back pack on to find the things you need.

It will also give you room to take a carer in with you when you get to the stage where you need more help.

Please keep posting if you need more help and advice🙂
Thank you… i find hard to read and get all the helpful info amd remember where it is.I got a bit lost about the key i i not heard of radar but now i get it thanks a lot.

Newbie 3

Jan 2, 2024
Hi Sam50, don't be afraid of ringing the bowel and bladder service to ask for your name to be added to the cancelation list should they get one. I needed to cancel an appointment the other day and was told to ring to see if I could get a cancelation prior to the next appointment date of September. I think all the staff are very understanding, please just let them know it is urgent.

Sam50

Apr 1, 2021
South West
Hi Sam50, don't be afraid of ringing the bowel and bladder service to ask for your name to be added to the cancelation list should they get one. I needed to cancel an appointment the other day and was told to ring to see if I could get a cancelation prior to the next appointment date of September. I think all the staff are very understanding, please just let them know it is urgent.
Thank you for tip!

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
The reason i know about the sheath & bag,is we used them on a profoundly autistic lad- made so much difference as he had no way of communicating he needed/wanted to go, and hated the feeling of being wet- which caused quite an issue.
I think they were called uridoms, you just rolled them on, and attached tube to back strapped around his leg.

There you go, request a sample - other brands avaiailible