Moving my dad across the UK

Prulucy

Jun 28, 2024
Hi all
My lovely gentle dad was diagnosed with Alzheimers this week, and also kicked out of his home of 30 years by his partner (she owns it). Social care are involved, but basically it's up to me to find him a care home local to me, across the country, where I can see and support him daily. Does anyone have experience of navigating social services in two locations, and finding a care home? So far, care home managers have been a bit negative that he's not currently in the locality. Thanks for any advice.

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Hello and welcome. Sorry to hear about your Dad's diagnosis and all the problems that you're experiencing.

Has your Dad been officially assessed as needing a care home? I ask because it's pretty much unheard of for someone to be diagnosed so late that they're ready for residential care.

Where is your poor Dad now? Hopefully he's being looked after and is somewhere safe.

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
Its not your responsibility to find him a home or though you may feel obliged to.

I think you should present his case to the local council who should either find him a place to live or assess him for a care home placement. It is the social services responsibility to sort this out.

If he is assessed as having a a need for a care home by the local social services you can then put your case forward to have him placed in a care home closer to you. If he has no assets then the council area he used to live in will fully fund it in the new council area.

The scenario you described seems to indicate the council trying to save money in my opinion.