Looking for the right care home for my dad in the Warrington area

jchadbourne

Mar 28, 2023
Hello, my dad was diagnosed with alzheimer's in 2018. We managed to move my mum and dad from Norfolk so they could be near to my sister. After renting until their new house was built they are now in their new home. Mum is finding it increasingly difficult to cope and we are at the stage of needing to find the best care facility for dad. Any advice on how to find the best place for him in the area and how to help him make the move eventuality into care?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Site rule I understand don't allow recommends, just so you know.
In case anyone wants to say is it a care home or a nursing home you're looking for in Warrington, handy for my boat. K

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Hello @jchahbourne , the following link will take you to the Care Quality Commission where you can find all information about residential care in the area you are looking into. One word of warning though is that CQC ratings can be misleading so always visit first before you decide.

Your local authority should also have a list of homes in the area along with information about assessments, finances and local support.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @jchadbourne and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. I looked up care homes in advance of visiting by using this website:

This helped me to draw up a shortlist, taking account of location, CQC status, size etc. When looking around I learned to look past the decor, bells and whistles and 'extras' that some places include. I was more interested in finding out whether my wife would fit in, if the home catered not just for early stage dementia but for the more difficult later stages, and evidence of personalised care and promotion of independence.

The home I chose is not luxurious but domestic in scale (20 residents on 2 floors). It has rates that are less than self-styled 'luxury' homes and doesn't charge for things that my wife does not need. The deputy manager (now the manager) gave me the clearest and most convincing explanation of caring for people as individuals ie personalised care. At some other homes I had been met by sales and marketing staff who knew nothing about hands on care.

Five years on I remain happy with my choice and - despite her advanced dementia - my wife is content, well cared for and loved.

Making the care home decision is hard but can be the best for the person and their family and carers. I do hope that you can find somewhere that will suit your dad. As for moving him in, that's another story. You'll find plenty of helpful advice about this and more besides now you have joined our community.

Last edited:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I'm assuming your dad is self funding. If he isn't you'll need to convince SS that he needs a care home.

My mum was self funding and I used a private social worker (found via Google) to help me find a home. This was 2022 and I needed a place urgently. In my area (CWAC) care homes don't keep waiting lists so I was phoning round weekly to enquire about vacancies. I just couldn't do this with work.

I looked at the lower price end because by this stage there was no point in cinemas etc. although I did feel she would prefer en suite. Mum's limited communication skills confirmed this when she moved in.

I set a 10 mile radius with the private social worker although she forgot about the mersey and did suggest one less than 10 miles as the crow flies but 30 miles by car. I was very happy with the help she provided and it cost a couple of days in a care home.