Incontinence issues

lindseymarierichardson

Jan 28, 2024
Hi, my mother in law has had a fall and since the fall she has been Incontinent. The hospital are saying its the trauma of the fall etc.... I have been taking care of her daily at our home until all equipment and wrist alarms are installed. I find it completely bizarre that the Incontinence team are having a telephone appointment with me in March to assess her. My mother in law has never had any issue with Incontinence before her fall at the end of January in which she fractured all her left ribs. She is doing really well with movement but still has no warning regarding urinating, the bowel side has never been an issue for her. I'm just intrigued to see if anyone else on here has had this issue with their loved ones. Also, could anyone recommend some sort of unit that is visible for her to keep her Incontinence nappies and bed wetting sheets. Many thanks. Lindsey.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @lindseymarierichardson

Im afraid that incontinence is definitely part and parcel of dementia. It usually starts in late mid-stage or early late-stage, but can vary. Usually the incontinence starts with urine incontinence and then progresses to include bowel incontinence as well.

Unfortunately, falls, pain, fractures, infections, hospitalisation and anaesthetic are all known things that can progress the dementia, so yes, the shock of the fall, the fractures and pain could well have progressed your MIL dementia to the point where she has become incontinent.

I think you will probably find that your MIL will need supervision to deal with her incontinence products, Im afraid

lindseymarierichardson

Jan 28, 2024
Hi @lindseymarierichardson

Im afraid that incontinence is definitely part and parcel of dementia. It usually starts in late mid-stage or early late-stage, but can vary. Usually the incontinence starts with urine incontinence and then progresses to include bowel incontinence as well.

Unfortunately, falls, pain, fractures, infections, hospitalisation and anaesthetic are all known things that can progress the dementia, so yes, the shock of the fall, the fractures and pain could well have progressed your MIL dementia to the point where she has become incontinent.

I think you will probably find that your MIL will need supervision to deal with her incontinence products, Im afraid
Hi thank you so much for this advice. 💓