Holiday abroad.

Galloping grannie

Feb 24, 2022
Very interested in all your comments re holidays. One problem I have learnt to deal with when we are in a new and different environment is OH trying the wrong door when looking for the loo at night. When it happened at a large coastal complex he was found downstairs beside the pool - understandably very upset as was I. Now I know to barricade the outside door and leave night lights on. I know it sounds like a fire risk and I suppose it is but the getting lost risk is much more likely. Looking forward to a cruise next week...fingers crossed!
We have also had that problem. This time it was opening the door to the balcony. I bought a nightlight from Wilco but it proved to be too bright. Hope you have a lovely holiday.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
This seems to be a common problem.

When we were staying in a hotel in Edinburgh my mother went out of the room the first night. Fortunately, I woke up and found her in the corridor just outside the room. After that, I put a couple of chairs against the door. She was a strong woman and could easily have removed them but I think that the noise would have woken me up.

I think that this might be a business opportunity for someone (the final episode of the Apprentice is on tonight. Can someone develop a portable door alarm system which people can take away with them?

sapphire turner

Jan 14, 2022
Good idea, we are going from Heathrow, I will contact British Airways to see if they have a similar arrangement to Birmingham.
Blimey that’s if we get there, he has gone off on a difficult turn after 6 months of relative peace between us 🙈🙈🙈

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Can someone develop a portable door alarm system which people can take away with them?
Many exist.
The most versatile are wedges that don't rely on any particular type of handle.
Problem for your use is they are easy to move and disable

Anthoula

Apr 22, 2022
I looked up assistance info for Birmingham airport and says they give out lanyards (I think they are logoed with airport so may be better than Amazon for this purpose) at support desk or can have one posted. Like you I can't see OH wearing one but thought I could wear it myself as we'll be together - I'll tell him it's a fast track thing I've purchased (he doesn't usually question things that he sees are in his own interest). It says with the lanyard you don't get other assistance but it should be recognised and hopefully you will be pushed through faster and staff should offer help where needed. Worth a try if you decide to go.
Thank you for this info. I will check with the airports in my area.

2ndAlto

Nov 23, 2012
Thanks GG. Yes VJ I use the chairs and I'll check out the Door Stop Alarm on ebay.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Can someone develop a portable door alarm system which people can take away with them?
I always took this kind of alarm on holiday abroad with me -