Henry ill, I am concerned....

Bronwen

Jan 8, 2010
Bristol
Hi Loo...just wanted to say I am thinking of you and hope you get that vital phone call soon, although it seems pretty certain to me that Henry will be accepted, especially if it is a nursing home and for dementia suffferers.

Its so hard to relax and sleep at the right time of day or night, especially as you have pain, but I hope soon it will all be settled and Henry is settled in the Home and you can have some of the worries taken from you.

Take care

love
Bronwen x

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Dear Loo,
I hope Henry can go into this care home, and soon, and that it all goes smoothly, then you can finally rest a little, while still giving him the care you can.
Thinking of you,
sleepless x

Bastan

Feb 10, 2011
Manchester
Dear Loo,

Hard times.......

I so hope Henry gets through the assessment and you get the home of your choice for him.

Re your worry of the move and the effect of the change on Henry. Let me share a little of our story.

When it was being decided if the time for Nats to go into care had come, there was a lot of worry concerning how he would react and indeed how we would even get him there. Everybody concerned, us as a family, his care manager and his psychiatrist thought he would 'kick off' big time. It was explained to us that if he didn't go voluntary (and no one imagined he would) how he could be taken under such and such mental act leading right up to being sectioned.

I worried myself sick, and drove myself to distraction trying to think what more I could do to keep on caring for him at home. I 'knew' he would hate leaving us and my heart was breaking a little more each day.

Not sure if you've read this else where on TP, but when I lost him for 8hrs one evening (long, long, story) the decision seemed to be taken out of my hands. He went into care exactly one week later, taken by our daughters without a fight. Took it in his stride and settled in with very little trauma. On the other hand I wept buckets, I was asked to stay away because daughters were convinced I'd bring him home.

I am still the more distressed one after 8 months. He has never asked to come home and on the one occasion we did bring him home when he returned, he punched the air and shouted YES!!!.

Sometimes Loo we worry unnecessarily.

I pray Henry gets this place and he accepts the move without too much upset. I hope you are pleasantly pleased by how much better the care home is than the hospitals Henry has had to put up with for the last six months. I say this because a few years ago my mum spent six months in hospital, her treatment and the lack of tlc was appalling. She only went in for a blackened toe nail and ended up with a full leg amputation......She never got to return to her home of 46yrs, our family home, very sad.

Although the care home where she lives wouldn't win many stars, she is treated a million times better than she was in hospital.

I do hope you find this is the case for Henry, and you find more peace of mind than you have in the last six months. It wont of course solve your heartache and the separation will perhaps seem more real than ever before. You know you are in good company here on TP. Too many of us are in the same boat, however we will continue to support each other won't we.

I do hope you've calmed down a little now. It is just too much some days. However you are one strong lady caring and fighting for Henry, despite your own health problems. Well done you.

And finally, wrong information given to care home!!!..........
well no surprises there then.

love and positive vibes
Bastan. xx

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya Loo

Just playing catch up here and was delighted to read that a vacancy has come up at the home of your choice. I hope that the assessment goes well and that Henry can be moved and settled in fairly soon. Whilst Henry may be rather confused with the move you can also find that the more relaxed atmosphere of a care home together with the staff becoming more familiar than what you find on a hosptial ward that some people respond to that better. From your point of view too it means you are not confined to the visiting hours of a hospital ward and can stay as long or as short a period as you like. To be able to do this alone must be a big improvement for you and I hope you also see some benefits from this after all the arduous to-ing and fro-ing to the hosptial for all these months! From my own experience I find that hosptial visiting can become a full time occupation especially when there is no rhyme nor reason for the strange hours and restrictions that they have. On one ward my mother was on afternoon visiting was from 4-6pm then evening visiting from 7 to 8pm - the hospital was out in the sticks and you couldn't stay on the ward during the one hour gap - so all the visiters used to congregate in the hosptial cafe and everyone swore blind it was deliberate so they could get the income from the food ! LOL

Please don't forget about yourself in all this, especially in getting your own finances sorted as DWP etc are taking ages to sort things out at the moment - think their focus is in doing all these examinations of folks to try and get them off disability allowances etc and this is holding up everything else!

I'm off up to Scotland next week to try and sort out more of this guardianship thing for my mother. Whilst I fully understand why all the checks and balances are needed there only seems to be one winner in this whole process - the lawyers. Seemingly it takes 8 months at the moment and my mother has to stay on a hospital ward throughout that time. Not a problem so far as she said she isn't a patient and that she is working there - i just hope that she can keep the job for another few months because if she decides she's had enough then we're all going to hear about it. LOL

Take care,

Fiona

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
It is today....

I had just come on TP, having convinced myself that the assessment must be tomorrow, when the phone rang at 12.45pm. Shouldn't have done that, the assessment is today at 2pm.

All of a sudden I've gone from being calm to being all of a shake; heart thumpng, stomach churning. I MUST get a grip! I hate when this happens to me. Simply because I dropped my prepared mode and went into calm mode.

Dreading it, yet glad today. If Henry is 'accepted' that could mean he moves on Tuesday....

Away to try and have a bite of lunch now. Thought I'd long got over getting into such a state of nervousness. :eek:

Love
Loo xxxxx

PS Just seen your post, Fiona, I have been wondering about you. Catch up later.

geum123

May 20, 2009
Dear Loo,
Do hope the assessment goes well today.
Sending positive thoughts your way.
Geum.xxxxx

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Anti-climax

Ah well, that was a waste of time. I arrived before visiting but the Sister said to go in and sit with Henry. Ten minutes later a staff-nurse came in and said the nurse from the care home had phoned, she could not make it for 2pm, "something had happened". When I got home after a visit with Henry, she had phoned me 1.50pm by which time I was in the hospital car park looking for a parking space.

The assesment is now tomorrow, 2pm. Here's hoping third time lucky. I don't think I will be as tense and nervous as I felt today. But what an anti-climax.

The Sister said she had been having a chat with Henry, I doubt if she ever has before so probably in preparation for the assessment. He had been telling her how we met - which means she had asked him. I was amazed that he remembered.

Later I mentioned it to him, he had no recollection of a conversation with the Sister. Nor of how we met! :confused: (We worked for the same company) I then chatted about some of the young men he had worked with, he recognised some names but became irritated, saying "That was a long tme ago, that's no use to me now!" Then something about it being bad to remember.

I asked if he remembered our little dog, and how good she was when we went travelling with our caravan. He said he remembered, sighed and said "Ah, those were the days". I think he remembers more than I realise, but does not want to talk about the past.

Yet in his mind he sees himself as a younger man. He kept on for a while about not being able to see me, he could not see my eyes. I removed my glasses, but he still said he couldn't see my eyes, then said "You are old". Then that he was there but I was not. Touched his chest and said "I am here, in here, but you are not in here".

He obvously thinks in his head of a younger me. I have realized that for some time. But a bit of a slap in the face today! :eek:

He used to say "You will never be old to me. You are you." But now I am not.

He was more 'him' today, but quite a bit of the not-so-nice him, and some swearing. Everything I said was wrong. I became a bit exasperated, getting no where, and said "You don't seem to like me, perhaps I should go now" - he had been asking me when I was leaving. Silence, staring at me. Then he replied "I like you" with a scowl. I suppose that is something. :rolleyes:

When I went in he had asked why I was there and I said to visit him, and also for a meeting. What about? About you and your health problems. I explained that he would be leaving the hospital soon ( "I thought this was a school...") as they need the beds for others in general hospitals. He would be in a nicer place than a hospital, and there would be more to do. I could visit him anytime, not like hospital visiting times. He listened, said little, then went on to other things. Quite talkative today. Still swearing at the men who cough and sneeze, but not shouting out, just muttering. No sleeping.

He was wearing someone else's T-shirt beneath his sweater, my mention of this caused more irritation. As did my remark that he was wearing his own slippers (someone else's the last three weeks. Also today someone else's trousers)

His glasses were not on the table, I looked in his room, not there. (neither are most of his socks in the wardrobe or any of three pairs of trousers. But guess no laundering done over the weekend)) New specs since March after his other ones dissappeared. I spoke to a care assistant who said she would check, but she never got back to me. Then was off duty. I could do without his new glasses disappearing just before he leaves the hospital. :(

A so-so visit, not all good, not all bad. I shall see him again tomorrow after the assessment, will talk a little more about his move (with no mention of the word 'home' re care home), but I wont push it. He won't remember anyway. I'm going to take it as it comes and explain to him as necessary once he is actually in the care home, which should definitely be this week. Assuming the elusive assessment does take place tomorrow.

No two days are alike with either Henry or me! :rolleyes: Hoping my tension, nervousness does not return tomorrow I rather wish the assessment had been today as Henry was more 'with it'; tomorrow he could be in another place.....

Love
Loo xx

Last edited:

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Thanks

Dear Sleepless, Deborah, Kaza, Geum. thank you all so much for thinking about me and for your kind and supportive posts which I truly appreciate. They do help.

Here's hoping for tomorrow......

Love
Loo xx

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Thank you so much for your post, Saffie, for thinking of me when you are going through so many difficulties yourself concerning Dave moving to a nursing home.

I so hope some of your worry will soon be relieved. Also that you hear from the SW tomorrow, and that she does not let you down.

Dave's complete hypos in the night, calling the ambulance, must have been very frightening for you. I know how I have felt when three times Henry has been brought home by someone in a car after having them. Usually after his medication has been increased.

I don't know much about insulin. The GP said they could cause more hypos/hypers?

Hope you have managed some decent sleep over the weekend but I expect your mind has been going around in circles thinking about everything and what is going to happen. I shall be looking out for your next update and wishing for a more satisfactory outcome.

Thanks again for being pleased for me. Thinking of you.

With much love
Loo xxx

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Jo, thanks for the more positive vibes, I'll reserve them for tomorrow, and good to know hugs are being saved for me! :) You are kind, and appreciated.

Loo xx

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Thanks Bronwen
although it seems pretty certain to me that Henry will be accepted, especially if it is a nursing home and for dementia suffferers.

The home is registered for a total of 62 elderly frail residents (some with early dementia) and dementia residents. 62 sounds a lot although they are divided betwen 5 different units. The two dementia units take 6 (I think further advanced) and 16, the one Henry will be in. That makes 40 between the three other units. Mostly women, I think there are only 6 or 7 men.

Since Henry now sees me as I am, an old woman and not the younger one living in his mind, he may think me one of the residents! :D

I am coming around to thinking similar myself. Why should they not accept Henry. If he steers a fairly steady course ... :confused: But dementia does not, it progresses.

I'm just concerned that we are back to aggressiveness surfacing again, following a longer calm period with only occasional difficult behaviour. Now he appears to be returning to the 'dementia self' he was at home, not yet quite so bad, but it is there in him and if it increasingly emerges.... I thought we had perhaps turned this corner but you can never be certain of anything with dementia, can you.

It has particularly surfaced more since the high glucose levels problem and the change to insulin injections. The brain needs glucose.

I can only hope, and perhaps he will be as he has mainly been towards nursing and care staff, polite, and complying, displaying only the stronger stuff with me! :eek:

Perhaps I am worrying unnecessarily.

Love
Loo xx

Last edited:

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Hello Bastan
Not sure if you've read this else where on TP, but when I lost him for 8hrs one evening (long, long, story) the decision seemed to be taken out of my hands. He went into care exactly one week later, taken by our daughters without a fight. Took it in his stride and settled in with very little trauma. On the other hand I wept buckets, I was asked to stay away because daughters were convinced I'd bring him home.

I am still the more distressed one after 8 months. He has never asked to come home and on the one occasion we did bring him home when he returned, he punched the air and shouted YES!!!.

Sometimes Loo we worry unnecessarily.

Yes I remember reading about when you lost Nats for 8 hours. It is amazing how Nats accepted the home so well when all of you had expected him to kick off. I agree we often worry unnecessarily. But it is not until later we realise that.
She only went in for a blackened toe nail and ended up with a full leg amputation......She never got to return to her home of 46yrs, our family home, very sad.

Although the care home where she lives wouldn't win many stars, she is treated a million times better than she was in hospital.

I do hope you find this is the case for Henry, and you find more peace of mind than you have in the last six months.
I do hope so, Bastan. It is the fear of the unknown.
It wont of course solve your heartache and the separation will perhaps seem more real than ever before. You know you are in good company here on TP. Too many of us are in the same boat, however we will continue to support each other won't we.
I think you are right about the separation will seem more real than ever before. This move is permanent, and... well you and others know how it is. At this precise moment I can only imagine, and fear it, a totally new and very different chapter in our lives about to begin. I am scared.

Even although I have been living alone at home for six months (can't believe it is that long), there has been so much going on during that time I have not really focused on it, that this is for ever. Of course it has hit me hard at times, overwhelmed me, and more. But I've had to get a grip and get on with things, and perhaps pushed it all away, "to be dealth with later."

The six months may have actually helped Henry more. It would have been hell for him to have moved from home into a care home, with the memory of home still clear in his head as it was during the earlier months in hospitals for him. I shall never forget his anguish.

I remember when I told our GP Henry had to go into care she said something about he would accept it quicker than I would, words to that effect.

Yes we will continue to support each other, as we do. I simply cannot imagine going through this without all of you great people on TP.

Thanks Bastan.
My thoughts and love
Loo xx

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Loo, hi
Thinking of you today and sending more positive vibes, love and support.
I do hope that you are OK and all goes well.
With kind regards from Jo

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Dear Loo,
You are so right about dealing with the separation: "to be dealt with later".
It is later, when the dust has settled, that you realise that everything is permanent and "for real".
I agree that the six months in hospital may well have benefited Henry, in that during that time his memory of home is less clear.
Hospital was almost like a "half-way" point for him.
This didn't happen in our case, although Brian had several times spent one to two months in hospital through the previous year. I think for a while he thought the first care home was just another hospital ...
I confess I come back here to TP to read again and again the very comforting messages of support.
As we have said before, it is only those who experience it at first hand who really understand.
I send my love to you and to all of those others as well who are struggling to come to terms with this enforced separation.
Love, Nan XXX

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Care Home Assessment. Deeply upset...

The Community Hospital had a concert this afternoon, only Henry and another man in the sitting room where the care home nurse joined us when she arrived.

She asked Henry some questions; his name he was fine with, date of birth he got the day, month but not the year. Home address, completely forgotten. Wife's name, got that. Then went onto discuss his dementia with me, and then his health. A nurse had given her Henry's folder.

Later a hospital nurse came in to take her to wherever for a discussion with the nursing staff. Earlier I had said to CH nurse could I be included in that and she said she did not see why not. But when she asked the hospital nurse if I could join them she frowned. Slight shake of the head before she turned and left the room.... She did turn in the doorway and said "We wont be long, two minutes" Huh! :rolleyes: CH nurse was away 25 minutes.

I sat with Henry gradually becoming more angry. Not only am I his wife of 53 years, his home carer but also his Welfare Attorney. But this hospital has told me nothing. I have had to ask nurses who give minimal answers. I have never been voluntarily kept informed about anything pertaining to my husband. Except when he became doubly incontinent.

I learned from CH nurse when she was going through his hospital record what Henry's recent/present blood glucose levels were. Good before breakfast, but still highish throughout the day and at bedtime. Not way over the top as before, but still varying across the double figures, the teens. I was disappointed.

Then I learned that despite being told during last month's high glucose crisis that Henry was now insulin dependent for the remainder of his life, he is still being given two diabetic tablets as well as the insulin injections. This shocked me. But I am told damn all.

CH nurse returned and said she was satisfied with everything. Except Henry's diabetes which concerned her. It still is not stable, and may require changes until it is. Not happy about the tablets plus the insulin. Neither am I. Although she did say she had heard of this happening. She also said he has not been that long on insulin, five weeks, and that it can take a while to get it stable, etc.

The other problem is that the hospital consultant (the one I wrote to and later met with) who comes in once a week is in charge of Henry's diabetes, monitoring it, in consultation with a diabetic consultant at our area acute hospital.

In the care home this consultant would no longer be involved. They deal with the residents GPs. Several times she said she was concerned and would have to speak to the care home manager about it.

I asked what happens now? The care home will inform the hospital who will inform me. Ha, Ha! :( That is highly unlikely. They will probably inform the Social Worker who will inform me.

I cannot believe this is happening. I do see their point of view. That the care home may well decide Henry is not yet ready to be discharged from the supervision of the hospital consultant because his glucose levels are not yet stable.

The care home is a 24 hour nursing home but obviously they do consult with doctors about such matters. But that would not be the consultant whom Henry is presently with.

But I am FURIOUS that the diabetes problem started soon after surgery in November due to what I consider mismanagement, continued in the second hospital, and I now know also in the present hospital. If they had stepped in and done something when I was *eventually* told during a crisis situation 5 weeks ago that glucose levels had been steadily climbing since Henry was admitted 5 January, and in the twenties for a while, it would surely have been easier to get it back under control before it soared into the 30s. As high as 36. It should be 7-11.

I am angry that when I initially regularly asked about Henry's glucose levels nurses only said "it's fine" or "it's alright". It was not. Asking what the levels actually were did not appear to be acceptable to them.

I am devastated that Henry may now have to remain in the hospital. Doubly so that this would mean he loses this place in the care home where I want him to go. When/if he is ready for discharge it may not be this care home which comes up with the first vacancy. But I would be forced to accept the first one available.

As you can imagine, I am in quite a state of emotions and thoughts. To have one's hopes raised to this point and then dashed......

As I said, I understand if the care home decide that Henry's glucose levels seriously need to be sorted out, stabilized, before they take responsibility for him. I just do not understand the hospital. Are they totally thick? :mad::mad::mad:

They must have informed Social Services that Henry was now ready for discharge, hence the SW call on Friday telling me there was a vacancy at the care home of my first choice. But it took a care home nurse to realise that he may well not be ready for discharge. She is the only one in six months who appears to have actually taken this diabetes problem seriously, and to have a good understanding of it.

Although I wonder what would have happened had he been in the care home before the diabetes spiralled out of control. Would they have called in a diabetic specialist, or would they have moved him to hosptial to be supervised by one. Although pointless thinking that now. What is done is done.

Do you wonder that I go on so often about Henry's blood glucose levels.... SIX MONTHS in hospitals, and I blame them for this happening in the first place, and they cannot sort it out. But when does a hospital ever admit to being in the wrong. :mad:

There is absolutely nothing I can do concerning the hospitals. As those here who have been in similar situations well know.

Of course it has not yet happened, that the care home has said no. But the CH nurse certainly did underline her concerns. After the initial shock, disbelief, since coming home and thinking about it I accept her concerns are justified. But if my fears are confirmed I am totally gutted.

I have ranted on long enough. I could weep.

Love
Loo xx

Last edited:

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Loo,

You have just posted a post that I could have posted about 4 years ago.

Word for word for word. Including the words FURIOUS and ANGRY and DEVASTATED.

Much of which is all to do with inadequate communication between so-called professionals and us, mere mortal human beings.

You should indeed have been involved in the 'meeting' where the pros discussed whatever they discussed. Especially as Welfare Attorney, let alone wife of 53 years!

And you can also ask for a copy of the eventual outcome of that 'pre-admission assessment by care home' documentation. Otherwise, how on earth will you ever know what is recorded on the paperwork?

As you may know, Loo, I don't often do 'smilies', but if I could find one for you it would knock all those other smilies into the background.

I will continue to be impressed by your posts, e'en tho' I may not comment on your threads, because you have a perfect way of describing what so many of us have had to go through - even though we may not have posted it all on TP, for a whole number of reasons.

I do so wish you both well, and a caring outcome.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I am so sorry to hear how uncaring the hospital professionals have been and wish more could be done for you.

The care home will inform the hospital who will inform me.

Can you ask the care home (? Eileen) to ring you directly at the same time as ringing the hospital? It does not seem too much to ask of them.

My thoughts are with you Best wishes

Bastan

Feb 10, 2011
Manchester
Oh Loo what a bl**dy awful day. No wonder your emotions are all over the place. Sometimes I despise 'professionals', I'm feeling furious on your behalf.

To hell with the hospital sorting out Henry's diabetes, they've done a dammed poor job of it so far. I'm convinced a CH could handle it better.

I wouldn't worry too much about insulin and tablets, Nats had both for at least a year. He took the maximum amount of tablets 1000mg of one, and (would you believe it I've forgotten) of another, twice a day and between 22 to 30 units of insulin. Not everyone comes off tabs when insulin is needed.

Nats no longer has insulin as with his drastic weight loss it was causing too many hypo's. Extremely frightening to witness his last one at home, I was awoken by his thud as he hit the floor (night sitter trying to rouse him), he went crazy!!! I was shaking so much that I couldn't sort out the injection needed to rapidly increase his sugars. Thank God the ambulance arrived quickly and used sugar gel on his gums. When I read of hospital horror stories on TP, I am always grateful I refused him admission.

Anyway, back to you Loo. You go ahead and weep, it releases stress hormones via our tears and really is good for you.

I am holding you in my thoughts,
love and empathy Bastan. xx