Albertine

Jan 21, 2024
i am a new member; my husband was diagnosed with combined Alzheimer's and vascular dementia and i am finding it increasingly difficult as he is becoming more erratic and angers quickly. I hope to find support and advice. Thanks.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome to the site, lucky for me my (now late) wife never got "the nasties" she was, most of the time my shadow, 24/7 care isn't easy, had she ever become aggressive towards me I don't know what I'd have done. Keep safe, sorry I can't be more helpful.
K

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Albertine and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to read that your husband is displaying challenging behaviour such as being erratic and displaying anger. This is quite common when a person has been diagnosed for many reasons including being afraid of the diagnosis and what it means for the future, the frustration of memory loss etc. But that does not make it any easier for you to deal with.

If you have not already done so, please discuss this issue with your husbands GP to see if mediation can help to control these issues.
You also need to look after yourself, again if you have not already done so please contact your local adult social services to arrange a needs assessment for your husband and a carers assessment for yourself.

I have attached some links which might be of use to you, but please keep in contact if there is anything specific that we can advise you on.