Grumpy OH

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
Hi everyone,
I hate these hot and long summer days.
I feel more exasperated than usual.
No holidays.. No friends..No plans for the future..
I'm listening to you. I'm your friend. Let's make some plans! If I were you, I'd write a book. I know you're learning new languages. I wish I could do that.
I know you're in the dumps. We've all been there. You are loved by me because of your frankness, your strength and endurance, and your dedication. Pull your shoulders back and mediate a few minutes. Breathe deeply. Smile.

Rosebush

Apr 2, 2018
Hi Margherita, me too. Yesterday we went to the memory clinic and I asked what sort of dementia OH has and they said it's alzheimers, not sure what the difference is! but at least I know now, they also said he has got worse since we went 3 months ago, so who knows what will happen next, sometimes I wish I could just walk away, but where would I go?.Lx

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
Hi everyone,
I hate these hot and long summer days.
I feel more exasperated than usual.
No holidays.. No friends..No plans for the future..
Oh my dear friend i so feel your sadness in this post. We have no control over anything & its a waiting game. I wish it was all so different . One day one day. You deserve so much better. Thinking of you & sending lots of love .Axxx

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
Hi Beads, still quiet here, OH asleep at the moment and I'm watching the tour de France, such lovely scenery reminds me of my favourite place Switzerland, must be 10 years since we went there. Anyway if you want a laugh last night when I was watering the garden the hose suddenly exploded and I was soaked from head to foot, wouldn't mind but I've only had it about 3 weeks! Oh and the day before I put some food out for the birds and so many came that the whole thing collapsed under the weight, seeds fat balls and water everywhere!, must have frightened them because I haven't seen many since. All for now. Lxx
Hi @Rosebush glad all is quiet hope it stays that way for you. Well things come in threes so i wonder what next ha ha, So your husband has been told its Alzheimers. How did he react to the diagnosis? My OH is still in denial the D word is never uttered in our house. Speak soon take care . Axxx

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
Hi Margherita, me too. Yesterday we went to the memory clinic and I asked what sort of dementia OH has and they said it's alzheimers, not sure what the difference is! but at least I know now,
Not much difference, I'm afraid.
Giving a name to what is spoiling our lives is such a small comfort.
Take care of yourself, which the only thing you/ we can try to do

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
After many years of limiting medications I have resorted to medicating everyday at 6PM and again at 9PM to ensure a restful night. I started doing this before my trip to Greece. So that was early June. NO guilt just survival. I read the 7 stages again yesterday which Kareoke Pete posted. We are at 6 ...for sure....how long have we been at six I am not sure. One day at a time....that is the plan. and as much fun as I can have along the way. I am off to Copenhagen for two nights on Sunday....will hear Bonnie Raitt and her band and John Prine.

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
I was reading a link that @Karoake pete had put on. Its so interesting i based my OH at stage 5 just going off that. I cannot find the link now .Anyone know how i can find it again?

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
After many years of limiting medications I have resorted to medicating everyday at 6PM and again at 9PM to ensure a restful night. I started doing this before my trip to Greece. So that was early June. NO guilt just survival. I read the 7 stages again yesterday which Kareoke Pete posted. We are at 6 ...for sure....how long have we been at six I am not sure. One day at a time....that is the plan. and as much fun as I can have along the way. I am off to Copenhagen for two nights on Sunday....will hear Bonnie Raitt and her band and John Prine.
Hi PalSal I read the same link I put OH at stage 5. Enjoy Copenhagen. I like yourself tend to take off for a few days now & then & I will continue to do so until things change . Then I will put in place what needs to be. A x

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Thank you, Janie.
The afternoons are so unbearably long.
The sun seems to be never going down and that is the time when I think over what I have lost and I am losing, that is my life. Breathing is not living.
No I agree, it is not living. I thought I had no points of light left to me and the social worker, being her usual alarmist self suddenly said, the crash might come sooner rather than later. Well, it came. And there were at last points of light. I thought I would have to endure for ever. No, breathing is not living. thank you. Warmest, Kindred.

Rosebush

Apr 2, 2018
Hi Beads, OH doesn't seem to understand, whatever they asked him he just kept talking about the dog! and yes the D word is never mentioned in our house either. Today he was sat on the sofa crying telling me about when his mum died his dad threw him out the house which is total rubbish, we were married with 3 children when his mum died!, I don't argue anymore just agree and smile and wait for him to forget about it, at least he hasn't mentioned the car. How are things with you? Lx

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I was reading a link that @Karoake pete had put on. Its so interesting i based my OH at stage 5 just going off that. I cannot find the link now .Anyone know how i can find it again?
I recall posting that, however, even I can't find the exact link.:)

It may have been this https://www.dementia.org/stages-of-dementia

I usually link the AS Factsheet which uses the widely quoted 3 stages and that can be found here https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...of_alzheimers_disease_and_other_dementias.pdf

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018

I usually link the AS Factsheet which uses the widely quoted 3 stages and that can be found here https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...of_alzheimers_disease_and_other_dementias.pdf
Thanks @karaokePete. I learned a lot about reading this. My PWD hasn't not really had the D pinpointed as of yet. The problems began with physical walking and freezing of gait. He was taken off the meds for Parkinson's because he had "hallucinations." Three times he heard something that wasn't there. (One night he said the door bell rang and I know it didn't.) This is the first I have read that Lewy Bodies has auditory hallucinations, hearing things that aren't there. I've been guessing he had Lewy Bodies but without hallucinations I had no back up.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Thanks @karaokePete. I learned a lot about reading this. My PWD hasn't not really had the D pinpointed as of yet. The problems began with physical walking and freezing of gait. He was taken off the meds for Parkinson's because he had "hallucinations." Three times he heard something that wasn't there. (One night he said the door bell rang and I know it didn't.) This is the first I have read that Lewy Bodies has auditory hallucinations, hearing things that aren't there. I've been guessing he had Lewy Bodies but without hallucinations I had no back up.
You have to bear in mind that dementia is as slippery as an eel. The 'stages' and the symptoms of the various diseases can overlap, merge or appear in different orders. This is why the medical experts can only be certain of the disease causing the pathology post mortem and symptoms/stages are indicators that can be interpreted within reason if one has the correct experience.

My wife is a prime example of the difficulty. Many of her symptoms are classic Alzheimer's, yet she has frequent visual and auditory hallucinations and not once has LBD been suggested. Her scans show vascular damage as well as brain shrinkage but evidence of strokes/TIA's has never been mentioned and whilst Vascular Dementia was initially posited it was never suggested again.

There is an old saying along the lines of, 'if you've seen one person with dementia, you've seen one person with dementia'. I don't think that would be true if the symptoms of the different diseases followed specific patterns and timeframes.

I just do my best to take my loved one with dementia as I find her from one day to the next.

It's hard, isn't it. :)

Last edited:

Beads

Jul 19, 2017

Thankyou @karaokePete the link you posted earlier i found really interesting & helpful. Shame it cant be found . I appreciate the above. Thankyou again.