Fred

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
This isn't really about Fred but don't know where else to put it. Went for an first appt wIth a consultant this morning re right hip. Now scheduled for replacement on 10 Sept. In shock!

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Not quite sure of families involvement. Not through lack of caring but they are all a good distance away and have full time jobs. Have a fairly good network of friends who will pop in. Apparently they don't send you home until you are mobile but the main thing is changing the pressure stockIngs which are very tight and you can't bend to do them yourself. I'm sure something will get sorted. I wonder who will want to wash my feet

Last edited:

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Sorry you need this operation Verity - but that's a really good plan, not long to wait. It's great that you have a network of friends who will rally round to help you while you recuperate.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Gosh that is quick Verity. Better not to have too much time to get worried though. I bet your biggest concern is how you are going to visit Fred. Hope you get all the help you need. Wish I lived a bit closer!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden
As everyone else has said, goodness Verity that was quick, you don't have long to think about it, really good. Do you know how long you will have to wear the compression socks? I would think you will get either carers or a nurse to come and put them on. How long will it be before you can drive. If you have an automatic I know you can drive pretty quickly. Good job you have some good friends that can help you. Wishing you well, hugs xxxxx

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Thanks everyone. 6 weeks to both, disi. I did ask if I could waIt until holIday in Nov but they seem to thInk that the 9 weeks after the op would be fIne. Hope they're right as don't want to spoil holiday for friend.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Another saying how quick your surgery date! But that's no bad thing. They don't keep you in long if you can show you are mobile. The main test when I had mine done was showing that you could manage to go up and down stairs. I thought I'd fail that one having had an undiagnosed condition 3 years and latterly in a wheelchair. But sheer bloody minded determination was a big help!:D

Good that you have friends to help, and hopefully help with the compression stockings.

Keep doing the post op exercises! :)

It was lovely to read about your last visit to Fred following the grumpy anti-female one. So precious to hear him say "here's my wife"... Long may they continue even if the occasional not so good one.

Thinking of you
With love
Loo xxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Gosh - that's wonderful Fred was so pleased again to see you. He must have just been having a grumpy-bum day! As we do.

Keep us all posted about your op. Mum had her knee replaced about 4 years ago, went brilliantly. Her hip done about 18 or so months ago. I remember mum, after her knee, she recovered so quick, the docs were astonished, but she said that living alone, she felt she had to get independent as quick as possible - so she was very diligent about doing the physio she was set, and the exercises she was given. And I think she's right - that is the key to getting your mobility back asap.

You will need a raised loo seat at home, and preferably a grab-bar or rail to help you up off the loo for a bit.:) I think mum used one for a couple of months.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Thanks LadyA. Glad to hear your mum made a good recovery from her ops. Gives me encouragement. They don't use GA very much these days apparently. It's done under an epidural and light sedation which I was really pleased to hear knowing of the increased risk of AD after a general. So will just have to listen to the power drill and hammer, etc!! The hospital OTs arrange for all the necessary equipment which is delivered a few days before op so that is good.

As you say, kjn, will be joining my grandaughter in the Bristol Half Marathon shortly but I don't think it will be any time soon as she is heavily pregnant

Fred was happy again today too. So grateful.xxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Truth, good luck I had hip ( and knee) done nearly 10 years ago, and they're both still in working order!
The main thing is be diligent with the exercises, obey the orders ( such as no bending hip more than 90 degrees, so toilet seat raised, sit in high chair, no slouching on the sofa). Cos I'm tall, OH made me a 'throne' for sitting in! The hospital gave me some grab things so I could get objects off the floor. I wasn't told to wear compression stockings but, looking back, it might have been a good idea if I had. Couldn't drive for 6 weeks, but drove part way home after the appt. Signed off after three months. Good luck!

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
This isn't really about Fred but don't know where else to put it. Went for an first appt wIth a consultant this morning re right hip. Now scheduled for replacement on 10 Sept. In shock!

Be good to get it over and done with. If you're anything like my Mum it gave her a new lease of life once both hips had been done. x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Just a quick update on Fred although not a lot changes at the moment. He alternates between being very sleepy when I visit to being a happy, contented person. Apparently he is usually happy now when awake so it's a question of timing really. I arrived about 1.30 yesterday and there was no sign of him so went huntIng and we bumped Into each other coming around a corner. 'Well here you are" he said, "you took your time". I gave him a kiss and he held my hand in a very firm grip and we took a walk calling in to the other lounges to say hello and eventually ended up in his where they served him lunch which he had refused before. He ate it quite happily, chattIng away and then we got his 'baby' and a 'frIend' and changed them into clean clothes, etc. We had a really lovely afternoon with him chuckling away at times and at one point asking me what he was going to do with me - something he has often asked throughout our married life - and which seemed to amaze the carers! He dozed for a while and obviously had something on his mind when he woke as he got a little agitated and was trying to tell me something I couldn't understand but I think it was about a fellow resident, so I called a carer over and Fred told him that it wasn't his fault and he wasn't blaming him! For the first time he didn't want me to leave and asked me if I had to go so we took another little walk where they welcomed him and made him a cuppa when I snuck out feeling very guilty for the first time in a long while

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden
Just a quick update on Fred although not a lot changes at the moment. He alternates between being very sleepy when I visit to being a happy, contented person. Apparently he is usually happy now when awake so it's a question of timing really. I arrived about 1.30 yesterday and there was no sign of him so went huntIng and we bumped Into each other coming around a corner. 'Well here you are" he said, "you took your time". I gave him a kiss and he held my hand in a very firm grip and we took a walk calling in to the other lounges to say hello and eventually ended up in his where they served him lunch which he had refused before. He ate it quite happily, chattIng away and then we got his 'baby' and a 'frIend' and changed them into clean clothes, etc. We had a really lovely afternoon with him chuckling away at times and at one point asking me what he was going to do with me - something he has often asked throughout our married life - and which seemed to amaze the carers! He dozed for a while and obviously had something on his mind when he woke as he got a little agitated and was trying to tell me something I couldn't understand but I think it was about a fellow resident, so I called a carer over and Fred told him that it wasn't his fault and he wasn't blaming him! For the first time he didn't want me to leave and asked me if I had to go so we took another little walk where they welcomed him and made him a cuppa when I snuck out feeling very guilty for the first time in a long while

Hi Verity, pleased you found each other and he was then able to eat his lunch. So pleased he was happy It must have been so very hard when he didn't want you to leave, but thankfully he was distracted. I am sure you felt very guilty but at least you have the knowledge he would have soon forgotten. Robert always holds my hand very hard, as if to say "you are not going anyway without me". Unfortunately he doesn't really smile and always asks what will I do in the morning. I will go and see him later today. Sending big hugs xxx

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Such bittersweet times Verity, a lovely visit then the sadness of leaving. Hope you've been able to let go of the guilt a bit now.
So hard for you too disi and LadyA, don't know how I would or will cope. Glad we've got this place to share our feelings and receive and offer understanding. Much love, Es
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx