Fred

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
I'm hesitant to post this at the moment with WIFE and Lyn in such sad places but wanted to share a moment of sheer happiness instead of my usual whinges, so please forgive me if it's hurtful to you both.

Went to visit yesterday pm. Lovely day weatherwise. He was asleep in one of the lounges as usual when I got there so sat chatting quietly with one if the carers. After about 30 mins, just as I was resigning myself to leaving again, he suddenly woke up and started to chat. We eventually went for a walk around the home and as we were coming back towards the original lounge, one of the senior carers came out from another which has just been refurbished and said "hi Fred, I've been looking for you, I'm just making a drink and I expect Verity could do with one too". We went in and the room has been redecorated very nicely with easy chairs, occasional tables and 2 square dining tables. Very cosy with access to the grounds in good weather. Sorry, I'm rambling now. We sat at a table with her and had drinks and biscuits and chatted. Fred was laughing and very happy, kept giving her a cuddle and joking. Should have been jealous, I suppose, but it was like having him back for a while. I was quite tearful with joy to see him like it. The guilt monster left me at that moment tho no doubt it will return. She brought him a book with aircraft and he was identifying them. Said she had had him up dancing the day before!! Apparently the plan to split the residents into 4 houses is now in place and that was HIS place and she is in charge when on duty. Says they have a rapport and she has a goal of making him gain 5 lbs in weight by his birthday in Dec. Sorry to have rambled on but it was so marvellous to see him happy, especially after his comments last week. They had told me he was quite cheerful most of the time but it was so good to see it for myself. Am so grateful to her for taking the time with him.

When I got home it was pouring with rain and all my laundry which had been drying beautifully was dripping, but hey, so what, I had had my special moment

Sent from my GT-N5110

jawuk

Jan 29, 2014
Lutterworth, Leicestershire
What a lovely happy post Truth, I'm so pleased that you had such a happy visit with Fred and the future for his care looks so very positive. Sod the wet washing, you carry on smiling to yourself!

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Verity, I love good news! Don't you not post!;):D Well what a lovely surprise. The CH seems to be on top of things and Fred seemed very contented-RESULT!!!!

What a very lovely Carer. I wouldn't have been jealous either:D
As long as Fred is enjoying himself, and showing some interest in books and dancing that is very positive. I'm so glad your visit gave you such happiness. It made me smile.

Thank you Verity

Love from

Lyn T

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Ha! Found your post! Delighted for you! Lovely to have had a happy visit! :)

Sent from my C1905 using Talking Point mobile app

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Found it too! Delighted for you both. What a strange and wonderul thing is the Mind of man - never mind the brain with iits specious ramblings, the Mind can make miracles happen. Who would have thought it a few short hours ago! Thrilled for you Verity. Hang on to that thought. X Love as always. Shelagh:)

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
what a lovely story. We are feeling a little of your glow from such a happy moment. It will help keep us all going. Deep inside locked away they are still there. This helps remind us.

Bless you both:)

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Lovely post - and I'm sure it has been so helpful to some of the other TPers who are currently dealing with difficult decisions re care homes. It is so important to hear the good experiences, and not just our worries and concerns. Do hope you have such a good visit again soon.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
That's great to hear and must be such a boost for you. At least you were able to kick the guilt monster in the teeth for a day or so. x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
So pleased Verity to hear you had such a lovely visit with Fred. I know so well that feeling that creeps into the mind that the Carers know so much more about our loved ones now than we do but at least they are well cared for when in great need. I have found the hardest times to be when Carers casually told me my husband had been playing the piano for them when he wouldn't touch it in my presence most of the time.

It lifts the spirits and heart to know that somewhere in their poor tortured minds is a little nugget of the past remembered which allows them to interact with us again. Go on enjoying the memory of your special tea break with Fred.

Loving thoughts

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Can't believe I have had another 'happy' visit today. Fred now has a friend called Ken and they were looking at books together. I also have a rival who has her eye on him but am told she just likes men in general! He seemed pleased to see me and chatted a lot (not too sure what about but seemed to give the right responses!) Am also not too sure what will be the reaction when I tell my children that he pointed out a picture of gorillas and told me that this was his family

Sent from my GT-N5110

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Just catching up Verity; Wednesday is our granddaughter day. Another lovely visit with Fred - I am amazed and thrilled for you! Some of the best gorillas, I am told, have humans as close relatives. Lovely, lovely. X Love and a hug as always.Shelagh:)

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Sorry Verity, it was yesterday and I am feeling fine today thanks. She's at school, so we collect and do the supper/bath/bed bit so not too onerous. Next week we shall be taking her to visit a brand new baby so she'll be very excited. Have a good day yourself and keep reminding yourself of what you and Fred had in earlier times, which are yours and yours alone to know and remember. X Loving thoughts always. :)X Shelagh