FiL 91, signs of Alzheimer's

Coder

Jan 17, 2017
North West
My Father in Law is a strong and fit 91 (apart from significant deafness). He's lived alone since his wife died seven years ago, he still drives although we've discouraged him from driving out of his local area, he shops and cooks for himself. He lives about 80 miles from us and he has no family at all other than us and our children and grandchild. Most of his friends have died. He walks every day around the local area and parks.

In the last year, he's started to exhibit short-term and new-memory problems which I recognise from the Alzheimer's which both my mother and my wife's mother experienced. He hides important documents and then forgets where he's put them, or even the fact that he has hidden them. He asks the same questions again and again, he forgets important facts. His nephew died aged only 60, but FiL hasn't mentioned it again and plainly forgot about the funeral (we would have taken him but we were away). His niece invited us to her marriage - he forgot about it until we reminded him to pack.

None of this seriously affects his life at the moment, although it does affect our lives as we have to hunt the insurance renewal letter and the card for his pension.

He finds some things a little difficult, but I suspect a lot of that is just the modern world. He's never touched a computer in his life and he's never used a mobile phone or a credit card.

He's never been particularly social and is happy with his own company. Plus, his deafness makes any group situation impossible - he can focus on one person speaking but in a crowd he can't pick out conversations.

We don't know whether we should do anything. How long can a person go on driving with dementia? Is there any point trying to get a diagnosis?

Thanks,

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Sorry your family is possibly dealing with dementia for a third time, Coder. It is always worth taking your father in law to his GP, assuming he would go with you, to get him checked out. My OH's diagnosis opened up access to higher rate attendance allowance which can be used towards paying for carers if your FiL needs extra help at home. It may also be worth letting his local Social Services know of his condition as they can set up care and support.
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/symptoms-and-diagnosis/worried-about-memory-problems and the more detailed https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/symptoms-and-diagnosis/why-need-diagnosis which opens up from there, should give you some more professional guidance.

Coder

Jan 17, 2017
North West
Thanks. Actually it's the fourth time, but my dad had vascular dementia which was quite different

Money is not an problem for FiL as he has has plenty. We've organised LPAs so we can help when the time comes. And I don't believe he needs any care at the moment. I'm really wondering about the future and in particular whether there's any need to worry about his driving

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Sorry Coder, my OH had stopped driving before her diagnosis anyway, but I do know of one regular poster whose husband with dementia was still driving. Others will no doubt be more helpful. There are factsheets on www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support which give details on driving too, but the links are not copying over.