Feeling a bit lost

Tracy12

May 16, 2014
Northamptonshire
Hi there I joined a while ago and did post once but things have moved on a little and some advice would be appreciated.
My mum has come to live with us, she was here for a month at Christmas returned home but couldn't cope and so has been here permanently since mid March. Last week the memory clinic doc came to assess her and says there are definitely memory problems and is arranging for a brain scan.
In the meantime she is driving me slowly nuts! Although I have a younger sister I am essentially an only child as far as care is concerned because my sister lives in Australia. I have always been a very solitary person, I was more than happy muddling along in my little nest, being selfish and quite insular. My husband is the same, and before mum arrived we had a very happy, if slightly strange existence because he works from 1.30 am and so we spent the afternoons together and I had the evenings to myself before going to bed when he got up.
Now I spend my evenings sharing the sofa with my mother after she has spent the day on it, doing nothing. She does get her own breakfast and lunch, the same every day but I know the routine is important, and gets up, washed and dressed by herself each day.
She used to be very active, in her own way, I get my solitariness from her, walking a couple of miles each Sunday, sorting the coffee morning where she lived, sorting, not joining in with, and doing all the things needed to keep her place nice. Now she does nothing. Granted she has moved 3.5 hours away from her home but she was happy to do so and only said goodbye to the house manager!
I have tried to get her to read or knit or anything but no luck, she 'can't be doing with it'. I knit and sew I love to read too but can't do it with her sitting next to me with her eyes closed, sucking her teeth. All our evenings are peppered with ' is there anything funny on?' But she doesn't laugh when we do find something. I love to watch sport but she doesn't, and it's a very good summer of sport!
All in all I am feeling totally at sea, so she must be feeling even worse. She won't open up unless it's to be negative, but then it's not a positive situation. She was shocked yesterday when I said we'd had to change our way of life for her!
I guess what I really want to do is get rid of my own feelings of negativity so I can make things better but as you can see I'm not succeeding at all!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Welcome to TP!

Once you get a diagnosis you can apply for proper help from the authorities. Get her a care package that involves Day Centres or the like so she will a) be out of the house for some part of the day (and afternoon) and b) receive stimulation in all kinds of activities she might enjoy. I am afraid it will be some trial and error as to what might interest her but I have also found that once my OH was put on Donepezil which is the standard Alzheimer's medication, he suddenly "felt more positive" (his words) and got more active again. I really don't know why, as it's supposed to be for memory loss really, but I am not complaining.

I am afraid you will have to get used to the fact that your life has changed. It's no good telling your mum how she is affecting your lifestyle. She can't change so you will have to. I know it's difficult and you might rage against the unfairness of it all, but if you want to stay mentally sane you will have to deal with this head-on. Find other carers to talk to like here, go to coffee clubs for carers etc. No man is an island and even solitary people find solace in talking to others who are in the same boat. You might also get a carers assessment done to see how it all affects you and what can be done for you and your husband to lighten the load.

You've taken the first step by coming on here and I wish you the best of luck!

Tracy12

May 16, 2014
Northamptonshire
Thank you so much, it helps just to write it down sometimes. I sounded quite horrid when I just re-read it. I know I will have to bite the bullet and I am gradually. I shall try day centres etc and see how things go. I shall also try not to wallow as it only works for hippos.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Try buying ( charity shops or ebay) lots of DVDs of The Vicar of Dibley, Dad's Army The Good Life or similar. She could watch them in the evenings with headphones on if you want to listen to something else) or you can get lots of audio discs of the various radio shows The Goons, Round the Horne, Just a Minute...that sort of thing and failing all else I Player for the BBC choices!!
It must be so hard to have had to change your entire way of life, but you were very brave and kind to bring Mum to live with you.

Tracy12

May 16, 2014
Northamptonshire
That's a brilliant idea, thank you. She wears hearing aids so it will be me with the headphones, but I can definitely cope with that.

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellen C