KayeMac

Mar 22, 2021
I joined in 2021 when I was supporting a friend with Alzheimers. She has now been in a dementia unit since November 2021 because she was endangering herself. I have P.O.A., and visit her once a week.

However, my priorities have changed. My husband who is 80 and previously very active, now has mild cognitive impairment and early onset dementia. He also has severe osteoarthritis of the lower spine and spinal stenosis so he is frequently in pain. I have to think for both of us, but he still likes to do the washing, the washing up and constant sorting and rearranging. He hates when his things are moved because it confuses him. He gave up driving in September and sold his van which he loved. Now it seems as though apathy is setting in and he does a fraction of what he used to do. He has the TV on all the time mostly with rubbish programmes and all very repetitive. He forgets to shower sometimes.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @KayeMac and welcome back to the forum although sorry to hear that your husband has been diagnosed. The constant sorting and rearranging and repetitive TV programmes is something that will be familiar to many here so you will find understanding and support here. Apathy is quite common too so you may find something in this factsheet useful as it includes some suggestions regarding supporting someone with apathy: