Diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment

Wifenotcarer

I am not a new member. I have been on this forum as "Wife not Carer" for many years, laterly as a widow. Now I need your help again as I have been diagnosed as having "mild cognitive impairment", which explains the worsening difficulties I have been having recently. My Daughters have latched on to the "Mild" word in the diagnosis and seem to think that this is good news for me, However, I am only too aware of the likelihood of progression to actual Dementia over the coming years. Frankly I am terrified of what is to come and the burden that will be placed on my Family.
Finally, I am wondering if I should change my username to something that better reflects the current situation?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Hello @Wifenotcarer

I`m so sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

I feel your daughters are covering up their distress for you and trying to comfort you by making light of the diagnosis of mild cognitive impairment.

They must know how it is but are probably as much in shock as you are.

I will ask one of the staff team to contact you and arrange a user name change.

I hope your diagnosis stays mild for a long time.

karaokePete

Hello @Wifenotcarer, I'm sorry to read your news and wish you strength.

I would hope that when you recover from the shock of the diagnosis that you can side more with your daughters.

My wife was first diagnosed with MCI and, whilst she did progress to a diagnosis of Dementia, she had quite a few good years with extensive travel and her graduation with a Dip HE from the OU before Dementia took hold.

Beyond this, there is hope that Dementia will not arise as not all cases of MCI progress to full dementia. The following link will take you to one of many studies that can be found on the internet. Keep good heart!

Kevinl

Probably if tested I'd be told I had an MCI too, hell I'll be 70 next year, I wouldn't pass any kind of test be it physical or mental the way I could have 5, 10 or 20 years ago, it a part of the aging process.
I would think anyone who has been a carer might latch on to what they see as symptoms in themselves where someone who doesn't have any experience with dementia just puts it down to a bit of forgetfulness or absent mindedness rather than a symptom. K